• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc reversing lyrica tolerance

the_void

Bluelighter
I have a huge lyrica tolerance.Besides abstinence, are there any other ways to reverse or at least halt lyrica tolerance? Thanks .

Well for instance amphetamine tolerance can be slowed down with nmda antagonists, benzo tolerance can hypothetically be reversed by admjnistering flumazenil...

the only thing that works for me is time. a week of abstaining usually is enough so i can cut my dose in half again and get the full recreational. the longer you wait, the better the results. be glad it's not like gabapentin, where tolerance takes for-fucking-ever to drop.

Well for instance amphetamine tolerance can be slowed down with nmda antagonists, benzo tolerance can hypothetically be reversed by admjnistering flumazenil...

Uhh yeah, like opioid tolerance could be reversed by administering naloxone/naltrexone. Does that make it a viable option? No. Flumazenil would induce seizures in GABAergic-dependent individuals (including Lyrica I would imagine....), and Naloxone would induce precipitated withdrawals in opioid tolerant individuals.

As far as the NMDA antagonists and amphetamine tolerance issue, NMDA antagonists only do so much, they are not at all the panacea people make them out to be. Can tell you from experience.

Oh no - forget about it. I took 5-10 300 mgs Lyrica every other day for a year until it didn't do much but hold off withdrawals any more. At that point you have basically come to the outmost limit as far as Gabaergics are concerned and can't expect much of any without a long break.

no such thing as a free lunch.... so no.

This.

Pregabalin (lyrica) has the fastest climbing tolerance in any drug that I've tried. Unfortunately though, the only way to effectively reverse it is to stop.

I've taken pregabalin the past 3 days in a row, and I felt a bit of nerve pain relief on day 1, less than 50% of that relief on day 2, and today I feel absolutely no relief from it.

tapering down on doses, or stopping lyrica all together is the only way to lower your tolerance.

Uhh yeah, like opioid tolerance could be reversed by administering naloxone/naltrexone. Does that make it a viable option? No. Flumazenil would induce seizures in GABAergic-dependent individuals (including Lyrica I would imagine....), and Naloxone would induce precipitated withdrawals in opioid tolerant individuals.

As far as the NMDA antagonists and amphetamine tolerance issue, NMDA antagonists only do so much, they are not at all the panacea people make them out to be. Can tell you from experience.

I know. I used to take massive doses of amphetamines not that long ago and i am benzo dependent currently and would never dare take flumazenil...dont talk down to me please . Im not looking for any "panacea". Any external aid that "only does so much", even hypothetically, is what im after

Mine took 3 months at 150mg or less a day before mine crapped out. It was a miracle drug for me then one day it just stopped working. I've thought about stopping for a week or two to see if it's helps but I start to feel kind of shitty (mainly anxiety) after a day without. I'm pretty sure my concurrent use of lyrica and temazepam is to blame.

i agree 100% that the reversal of tolerance is utter bullshit. however i highly doubt it would do anything to someone dependent on pregablin since its mode of action is distinct from other gabaergics and it works on the alpha2delta subunit of some (calcium?) voltage gated channel. flumazenil only works on GABAa, it's also completely useless for GABAb overdoses like say GHB or baclofen.

edit: (from wikipedia)
Like gabapentin, pregabalin binds to the α2δ (alpha2delta) subunit of the voltage-dependent calcium channel in the central nervous system. Pregabalin decreases the release of neurotransmitters including glutamate, norepinephrine, substance P and calcitonin gene-related peptide.[21] However, unlike anxiolytic compounds (e.g., benzodiazepines) which exert their therapeutic effects through binding to GABAA, GABAB, and benzodiazepine receptors, pregabalin neither binds directly to these receptors nor augments GABAA currents or affects GABA metabolism (Pfizer Inc. 2006).[22] The half life for pregabalin is 6.3 hours.

@OP, I'm not talking down to you please don't take anything with offense, I am just being straight up. I apologize for my straightforwardness.

@xxxyyy, Well that's why I added, "i would imagine", I know pregabalin's a weird GABAergic but I didn't know whether it would respond to flumazenil.

I know. I used to take massive doses of amphetamines not that long ago and i am benzo dependent currently and would never dare take flumazenil...dont talk down to me please . Im not looking for any "panacea". Any external aid that "only does so much", even hypothetically, is what im after

It's difficult to convey and understand tone when speaking through text, this is why a lot of the time people misinterpret others intentions based on their posts. In real life, one could say two identical things to another individual and one would be harsh, and the other pleasant just based on tone. I hope you can understand that.

Back to the topic. Other drug-tolerances that are mentioned such as preventing amphetamine and opioid tolerance are exceptions to the case, and even with the use of certain NMDA-antagonists the reductions and/or preventions in tolerance are limited.

With pregabalin though, as someone else mentioned, the mode-of-action is unknown, and it's also a relatively new drug, this is why it would be difficult to speculate on or discover something which is effective at reducing it's tolerance. If it does directly or indirectly operate on GABA, finding something that reduces its tolerance in practice would be highly unlikely, much like benzodiazepines.

Good luck, as a long time pregabalin user, I would be very interested to hear about anything if you do come across it.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I just had to share my experience with this drug:
-Took 4mg of Clonazepam and 1200mg of Lyrica everyday for 1 year (a bit less probably, like 10 months)
-After that the Lyrica stopped working, it felt as if I was taking sugar pills, but felt no withdrawal
-These things that helped me the most: Using a high dose of memantine (helped the most) and an extremely low dose of amisulpride (25 to 50mg), I personally believe memantine helped the most, but still, it never felt as the first time I tried Lyrica.

The rationale for using the Amisulpride is that it upregulates GHB receptors (although I don't know if it achieves this at the low doses I used, but at such low doses it would elevate Dopamine levels by blocking Dopamine autoreceptors), Lyrica potentiates the enzyme that transforms Glutamate to GABA (Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase) and so elevates global levels of GABA which in turn transform into GHB activating GHB receptors, hence the "XTC feeling" it gives you. I may be wrong though, or it could have been placebo, but at least in my case, it kinda worked.
The rationale for using memantine is simple: it blocks NMDA receptors, and I found anecdotical reports that it greatly potentiates Lyrica. Some of those reports even here in Bluelight.

LaCster also recommended me (via PM) to combine Lyrica and Gabapentin, "Super Lyrica" we called it, but not at the same time because they are absorbed by the L-aminoacid transporter and so they compete with each other. He also recommended using DXM instead of Memantine. Using Gabapentin worked very well I must say, and DXM was ok and it will definetily help you too if you can't get Memantine.

I've never shared this with anyone so I hope it helps or inspires someone,
Charles Ferdinand.

Last edited:
yeah my tolerance is as high as 2,00mg a day, I reduce it to about 400mg for a week then go on a bender again, reduce it

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I just had to share my experience with this drug:
-Took 4mg of Clonazepam and 1200mg of Lyrica everyday for 1 year (a bit less probably, like 10 months)
-After that the Lyrica stopped working, it felt as if I was taking sugar pills, but felt no withdrawal
-These things that helped me the most: Using a high dose of memantine (helped the most) and an extremely low dose of amisulpride (25 to 50mg), I personally believe memantine helped the most, but still, it never felt as the first time I tried Lyrica.

The rationale for using the Amisulpride is that it upregulates GHB receptors (although I don't know if it achieves this at the low doses I used, but at such low doses it would elevate Dopamine levels by blocking Dopamine autoreceptors), Lyrica potentiates the enzyme that transforms Glutamate to GABA (Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase) and so elevates global levels of GABA which in turn transform into GHB activating GHB receptors, hence the "XTC feeling" it gives you. I may be wrong though, or it could have been placebo, but at least in my case, it kinda worked.
The rationale for using memantine is simple: it blocks NMDA receptors, and I found anecdotical reports that it greatly potentiates Lyrica. Some of those reports even here in Bluelight.

LaCster also recommended me (via PM) to combine Lyrica and Gabapentin, "Super Lyrica" we called it, but not at the same time because they are absorbed by the L-aminoacid transporter and so they compete with each other. He also recommended using DXM instead of Memantine. Using Gabapentin worked very well I must say, and DXM was ok and it will definetily help you too if you can't get Memantine.

I've never shared this with anyone so I hope it helps or inspires someone,
Charles Ferdinand.

Can u please tell me how to take the amisulpride with the pregabalin...i mean at the same time with the pregabalin dose or an hour before...maybe an hour later, and can u please specifiy the dose of memantine and when to take it....thanks

Yeah and how much dxm should I take, and at what time? I'm on 600mg lyrica

im prescribed gabapentin, how do i get the doctor to switch me to lyrica?