• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Reverse tolerance to caffeine

MrPitt

Bluelighter
I love caffeine. I drink caffeine regularly, although I generally stay under 150mg of a caffeine a day. It seems like I go through cycles where I won't consume any caffeine for weeks or months, and then when I do, instead of it working better at smaller doses, it seems that I need more to get the energy I am looking for.

At the start of these cycles, I can consume two energy drinks back to back while feeling good and properly energized. Fast forward two months of daily consumption and I'm down to maybe a serving of coke zero's worth of caffeine and it gives me the jitters. This trend follows a gradual tapering down from large amounts of caffeine giving me x amount of energy to a very small amount of caffeine giving me the same amount, like my tolerance is in reverse. This all happens over the course of several weeks to months.

By the time I reach my low "high" tolerance, I feel absolutely no need for caffeine whatsoever. I end up not consuming any caffeine at all at this point because even 20-30mg feels too strong. Then I go several weeks without it but I still feel the same stimulation and energy level as I did during the times when I was consuming caffeine.

Is this strange? Can anyone explain why this might be? I don't feel any unpleasantness from caffeine during normal use. No side effects other than the run of the mill ones.

Keep in mind I almost never consume more than two energy drinks in a day, and rarely consume more than one. My sources of caffeine also cycle between energy drinks to coffee to diet coke or coke zero.