• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Reusing cottons

PercocetDreams512

Bluelighter
I've been IVing heroin going on 4 years now and I've been told different things from an array of different users about using the same cotton for 2-3 shots isn't good. When I first started shooting I was saving all my cottons from pulling up the shot and then when I was out of H and sick I'd take all the cottons I've saved and then make a shot from it. I was told that's not safe and then I was told that's the smartest thing. Is there a right answer to this question?

I have been around people who IV Heroin or Heroin/Crack and when they got low they take all the used up filters and cook up a shot out of whats in them like you said you do. Its probably not ideal but using heroin isn't ideal and sometimes we have to do things and cut corners when we are sick.

What do you think is the main issue with using them more than once?

Is that off a dirty shot? The guys I seen do this where doing snowballs and at the end of the session they used some from that day and the day before, it didn't seem like it was the first time they had done this. I imagine the fresher the better and keep them cool if you can.

that moist enviornment is a great breeding ground for a lot of bad things man. you are directl yputting those things in your body bypassing all of its defenses! don't ever reuse cottons ore syringes. i don't shoot but i've read up on it enough to know that

There is what you're *supposed* to do, and what is reality. Re-using a needle a few times is fine. Using a needle just one time, which if you missed a vein and had to pull out means putting the shot in a new rig just isn't practical or realistic. On paper im sure its not good, but as long as you use reasonable hr practices nothing will happen and shooting cottons can save your ass and get your feet under your so you can go score.
Wake-up dope sick sweating shaking and throwing up and tell me you'd pass on that cotton shot...

It is definitely unhealthy and can result in infections and lead to sepsis. It may not occur in every instance, but since this is a harm reduction site we should inform you (and anyone who reads this) that it is not safe.

my friend died of a blood/heart infection from doing this. and was hospitalized several times prior to the death for the same reason.

shoot the cotton shot up your ass, not worth risking your life.

you don't hear abotu people that die from drug use and dont' od, but it happens as said above. you also don't hear about damage that changes lives, but that happens too. just be careful.

its so damn easy to get a new cotton and the risks are so not worth it. some people save them for "cotton shots" when they run out but again it's nto worth it. take care of your health especially if you're using drugs in the riskiest manner.

I've been IVing heroin going on 4 years now and I've been told different things from an array of different users about using the same cotton for 2-3 shots isn't good. When I first started shooting I was saving all my cottons from pulling up the shot and then when I was out of H and sick I'd take all the cottons I've saved and then make a shot from it. I was told that's not safe and then I was told that's the smartest thing. Is there a right answer to this question?

Well, I suppose it depends on your perspective. It might be the "smart thing" for getting the most value out of your heroin. But it's also definitely not safe.

Injecting heroin at all isn't safe either of course, but reusing cottons can cause cotton fever, it's an added risk.

Man, I'll freely admit that I used to do this when I was on heroin, all the time. Being dope sick makes you do all kinds of crazy things. It fucks with how you process risk vs reward. That's the nature of the beast. God only knows how many times I've done what you describe, and I've never gotten cotton fever doing it. But, other people might do it once, and be unlucky enough to get really sick from doing it. Luck is unfair like that. We might take a risk a thousand times and get off scot free while someone else takes a risk once and pays for it dearly.

Ultimately it's your life, it's up to you what risks you decide to take. What matters is that you're informed of those risks. And it's pretty accepted that if you reuse cottons, you're at fairly decent risk of getting cotton fever. Which usually isn't lethal, but is definitely unpleasant. There are also all the other risks from unsterile injecting like infection. Which again, I've done countless times and wound up mostly unharmed. While other people have wound up dead.

So I hope that helps with your question, it definitely is a risk you're taking, but it's also a fact that it might on a particular day be the difference between being sick, and stretching your supply long enough to not be sick. You might never face any repercussions for doing it, or you might face them the very next time you do it. So long as you're aware of that, the rest is up to you.

Good luck man :).

Last edited: