• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Returning to University

Foreigner

Bluelighter
This is an idea I've been mulling for several weeks now. I might like to return to university to finish my undergrad. I originally abandoned it because I felt what I was studying was rather useless, and I still feel that way to some extent, but now that I'm older I see a potential academic path that might be fulfilling. My time spent overseas as an international student transferred some credit to my home university here in Canada, so I'd resume as a third year student. In about 1.5-2 years, I could be done my undergrad, less if I take some summer courses.

When I ditched university, I went to vocational college to get my diploma in Traditional Chinese Medicine. I've done well as a holistic health practitioner. It sustains me, I'm passionate about helping others to heal, and it's highly rewarding. But there's something about that unfinished business of university that lingers in me. People with degrees seem to have more societal status than those with college diplomas like I have -- not that that's my primary motivation for going back. In the United States, the same TCM training I did would've earned me a masters degree in oriental medicine, but in Canada it's not accredited yet, mostly because of systemic prejudice against TCM. In any case, I would really love a degree.

The main thing that appeals to me is the graduate opportunities that lie beyond a bachelor's. I could switch gears entirely and apply to law school, or some kind of other upper level profession that isn't medical. If I finish my degree in International Relations, I could apply to one of several schools in Canada that specialize in diplomacy and foreign relations, something that has always interested me.

But am I just dreaming? I'm in my thirties now, and the idea of mingling with 3rd year undergrads doesn't exactly appeal to me. The tuition would be affordable, about $5,000 per year, which I could easily supplement with my work as a holistic practitioner. So cost isn't the issue, so much as the time commitment. All that essay writing, all that time spent attending lectures... is it practical to revisit that now, when I already have a flourishing career? I'm starting to feel that 30's pressure to already be getting established and settling into the life I've created. Is it perhaps contradictory to backtrack now?

Last sentence first.. expectations are a real bitch. Been dwelling on that myself recently, being 28 and just finishing up my Masters. Feel like I should be further along. But modern life is a race to nowhere anyway so why bother yourself about milestones?

If you have the drive to do it, you could do it. I started my first degree at 24 and already felt out of touch with a lot of younger students, but there were people older than me too so in the end I made friends with both camps and it wasn't so bad. All said I really don't know what your best choice is. I mean if you went back would you be abandoning your existing career, and would there be a risk you might not pick up a job after the degree and not be allowed back into where you were before (unless you took a paycut or something)?

If the cost is not an issue and you can continue to work as a TCM practitioner, I'd go. Who knows what opportunities could open up for you. Even if the result doesn't fulfill your expectations you might make some good friends, learn something new, improve your quality of life, etc. Also, yes the UNI degree will up your status, not just on job applications, but simply because people will now take you more seriously.

side note:

Where I live it can cost more than 5K/year (usd) to go to a Community College. If you know anything about CC it's basically the equivalent of repeating the last two years of High school AP classes.

good luck, hope you're feeling well.

If you have the discipline for it, distance education is a good option for mature aged students. I went back to uni by distance a few years ago and it was one of the best things I've ever done. Haven't finished my degree yet, but I think it's actually going to stick this time!