• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Retrosynthesis - Navigating around Patented Routes - Paper

checktest

Bluelighter
Was looking through some of the cell best of reports (you have to put in some details but free)

Under best of chem 2018 there was an interesting article actually published in 2019.

Navigating around Patented Routes by Preserving Specific Motifs along Computer-Planned Retrosynthetic Pathways

Molga K
Dittwald P
Grzybowski B

Chem
2019 vol: 5 (2) pp: 460-473

"By keeping track of lists of specific bonds one wishes to preserve, a computer program is able to identify the key disconnections used in the patented syntheses and design synthetic routes that circumvent these approaches. Here, we provide examples of computer-designed syntheses relevant to medicinal chemistry, in which the machine avoids “strategic” disconnections common to industrial patents and is forced to use different starting materials. The ability of modern retrosynthetic planners to navigate around patented solutions may have significant implications for the ways in which intellectual property related to multistep syntheses is protected and/or challenged."

Merck bought Chematica (now synthia under Millapore Sigma subsid) a couple years back but the possibilities are interesting. I liked the use of panobinostat (Novartis, HDAC inhibitor from 2015 ), linezolid (Pfizer, new expensive antibiotic ), vs. Sitagliptin (Merck 2006 but expiring soon ?2022, high competition dpp4) in the paper. Generic manufacturers must be looking pretty closely.

How about the use in avoiding particular precursors or other problematic pathways? Interesting advancement of technology.
Retrosynthetic software will definitely be rising soon.

Edit: I should have changed the title to retrosynthetic software to reflect the emphasis on the technology rather than actual synthesis but yeah. Also the article thread

Last edited:
I had the chance to test out Synthia a little bit. It's still no match for a trained chemist with access to Reaxys or SciFinder, but the concept has a lot of potential.

I really like the idea of a retrosynthesis software optimized for clandestine operations. It wouldn't be much of a stretch from the filters they already use to find the cheapest feedstocks, bust patents, etc. The hard part would be hand-programming the relative "ease of acquisition without raising red flags" of various building blocks.

Certainly the idea is at a basic/fundamental stage right now, but it will be something to track to see how it develops. Easing some of the grunt work. Who knows if it will generate some unusual synthetic routes in the future, similar to alphago making new strategies that could be studied by others.

Yes, the commercial version for small-time manufacturers, featuring cost / ease / c̶r̶i̶m̶i̶n̶a̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ regulatory ratio optimizations at a lower scale. Weightings of accessibility and regulatory burdens in acquisition, scraping resources for country-level restrictions. For the 'academic' researcher on a budget.