Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Resume the war on drugs. Before more people die

poledriver

Bluelighter
Resume the war on drugs. Before more people die

994cf37b9cbff61c2fc979815e3d7f9b

By - Caleb Bond

The use of amphetamines such as the well-known drug “ice” is on the rise, a new study by rehabilitation organisation Odyssey House reveals.

Ice now accounts for half of all cases presenting to the clinic — up 53 per cent on last year and triple what it was just a decade ago. Alcohol is responsible for 20 per cent of admissions. Heroin, which accounted for 43 per cent of admissions in 2003, and cannabis are down to 11 per cent each and cocaine is only 1 per cent.

Nearly a third of Odyssey House’s clients are under 30, and 45 per cent are between 30 and 40. According to the report, the average age people begin taking drugs is now 12 to 13 years — dramatically down from 16 to 17 years in 2003.

Odyssey House chief executive Julie Babineau highlighted the link between drug use and mental illness.

“This year 44 per cent of clients had a coexisting mental illness,” Ms Babineau said. “Ice, in particular, can have significant impacts on mental health, including psychosis, depression and anxiety, or it can mask or exacerbate pre-existing problems.”

Ms Babineau suggested the worrying rise in ice-related cases could be because the drug is relatively cheap.

Drug use has steadily grown across Australia in the past 10 years. In 2007, 13.4 per cent of people 14 years or older had used an illicit drug in the past year, according to a comprehensive government report.

Three years later that had jumped to 14.7 per cent and rose to 15 per cent in 2013. By contrast, the UN Office on Drugs and Crime reported the world average was only 5 per cent.

If we don’t watch it, we will have the equivalent to the 1990s heroin epidemic on our hands.

No doubt the demonisation and rising cost of alcohol plays a part. If, as a young person, you go out for the night with $30 you’ll be lucky to buy three drinks. You could spend the same amount on amphetamine and keep going all night, but it’s the start of the slippery slope to addiction.

It’s time to give up on the soft approach and tackle this epidemic.

A program announced earlier this year will allow sewage at wastewater plants to be monitored for traces of drugs. It was hoped the resulting data would show particular problem areas to focus on. In addition, the South Australian government this week committed to expanding its trial of the program to regional areas, where ice abuse is eating away at the youth.

We have to come down hard on drug dealers and, to a certain extent, users and reverse the levels of acceptance young people feel about drugs.

Drug use should not be part of the “party culture” — or any other culture. It’s what so tragically killed Georgina Bartter at a Sydney music festival in 2014.

It’s time to return to a “tough on drugs” attitude. Resume the war on drugs. If we don’t start fighting this evil again, lives will be lost.

With comments after the article -

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/re...e/news-story/f13274e00de2df4da1c37b1a8731f59f

That kid looks like he's 12. And he's the one in class everyone hates cause he rats on you for fucking everything.

lol yeah. I in no way agree with the article, I just posted it because I think his opinion is a shit one that doesn't work. We;ve been having that war on drugs for ages, with zero tolerance, targeting end users in a big way and other crappy things like dob in a dealer campaigns and over the top ads on tv about meth and none of it has worked in the slightest.

Why should we keep up the same failed approach when things are getting worse (apparently) ?

Because the war was going so well....

A program announced earlier this year will allow sewage at wastewater plants to be monitored for traces of drugs. It was hoped the resulting data would show particular problem areas to focus on. In addition, the South Australian government this week committed to expanding its trial of the program to regional areas, where ice abuse is eating away at the youth.

^ that was my favorite part of the article. dear god. How much meth is in Australia's municipal waste? Just how hard are Australians tweaking?

So that's what is going on Down Under, eh? This kid sounds like he's at the ass end of a tweak binge to suggest spending tax money to analyze shitwater?

Caleb Bond is Australia’s youngest political commentator and a multiplatform media talent on TV, radio and in print.

At 17, he writes a weekly column for The Daily Telegraph and The Advertiser, and features in a weekly segment on Perth’s 6PR Drive with Adam Shand.

This is one of those kids who ends up putting drug users down but then ends up fucking kids instead.

Any how looks like his parents have been grooming him for years cause which fucken parent puts their 6 year old infront of the tv screen?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/the-strange-world-of-a-teenage-conservative-political-commentator

This is one of those kids who ends up putting drug users down but then ends up fucking kids instead.

Any how looks like his parents have been grooming him for years cause which fucken parent puts their 6 year old infront of the tv screen?

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/the-strange-world-of-a-teenage-conservative-political-commentator

Haha, he has a signed photo of Tony Abbott? lol... No wonder he's such a conservative wanker already.

GJYI3SYE.jpg

Fucking hell.

What else do you do for fun?

Well, politics is my fun, really. I enjoy communicating and being involved in that scene. I do local theater with a group that I have been a part of for seven years. At the end of the year we do a traditional Christmas pantomime that incorporates a cast from eight to 80 years of age.

Heh.

So there was a heron epidemic in the 90s.. not that this kid was alive then or has any personal relevant knowledge about this subject or much else.. so well the "drug war" was certainly fired up then.. so i will conclude it did not work then.. a very accurate glimpse of the future can be made from the past, as the best indication of future outcomes are the results from the past.

If nothing changes then nothing changes.

Who is this naive kiddo and why does anyone care what he thinks? and good lord who dresses him?

Last edited:
There sure was a heroin flood in Sydney in the late 80's and early 90's. I saw it first hand, not that I ever used heroin, but I used to walk and skate past groups of nodding off people who were stumbling around. It was pretty confronting when I was only 16 or 17. It was enough for me to never wont to use heroin.

The 'war on drugs' is part of the reason why people die! The impurities and unpredictable dosages caused by the banning of drugs actually causes many deaths! Plus, I find it shocking that the anti-legalization people can't see the error in logic behind their ideas. If people were not supposed to use drugs, then why the hell do psychoactive plants/fungi even exist and cause the effects they do? If whatever divine force that created man didn't want us to get high, then the brain wouldn't even be capable of experiencing it or the substances required to produce a mind altering effect simply wouldn't exist in nature.

Last edited:
There sure was a heroin flood in Sydney in the late 80's and early 90's. I saw it first hand, not that I ever used heroin, but I used to walk and skate past groups of nodding off people who were stumbling around. It was pretty confronting when I was only 16 or 17. It was enough for me to never wont to use heroin.

Yeah, I've never used that stuff either and had similar experiences but with knowing people who became horribly addicted to that and other highly addictive drugs. I've never messed with that stuff or anything else highly addictive.

Man, I worked hard to stop myself from judging people by their appearance. Then this kid came along. Now I'll never be able to talk to someone wearing a pocket square and a striped watch.

What a silly little tart this Alfred E. Neuman lookalike is.

NSFW:

It is because of clueless arrogance and petty superstition contributed by countless massive tools such as this little man why 'street drugs' continue to be taboo. They see someone consuming their mind altering substance of choice and suddenly they are experts on the matter. It would be like me claiming I have a commensurate knowledge of the appropriate operation of a jumbo jet because I piloted one in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.

Sadly, the mainstream media has long been in cahoots with these two-faced twats; and, without any internet access for many decades since the days of Harry Anslinger's 'Reefer Madness' bullshit, they had a monopoly on the dispensing of information en masse to the public. So back then, it was obviously far easier to maintain the lies and deceit regarding 'street drug' use in general, but I digress.