• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

resin-less Michka...?

Losthippy!

Greenlighter
I'm baffled by a very noticeable lack of resin production on my 8 month old ferminised Michka plant. She is in the early stages of flowering and growing outdoors. . I'm using a modified screen of green method to control the rampant axial growth with a dozen branches pegged to horizontal wires fanned out from the trunk. The av. summer temp here is 30-40C and she gets 12+ hours of uninterrupted light per day. I've grown my own for 40+ years and have never had a flowering plant that produced zero visible resin on any of its parts in the heat of summer with autumn not far off. There is very little pubescence around the stems and the trichomes and subtending leaves are also smooth. Ideas, anyone?

M'yeah: sell this peculiar genetic mutation to Health-Canada!!

^ Being from Oz I'm not quite sure what to make of your comment. I've read what I can about Michka's impressive provenance and cannot fathom how this spruiked-about hybrid isn't responding more typically to heat and light. The blurb from Sensi Seeds (breeders) and vendors paints a glowing picture and despite a moderate level of upkeep over a long growing period it is one impressive plant to look at. I'm tempted to snip some flowering tips just to see if there is anything there, but... nah. I'll wait. But I am still curious.

What a difference a month makes. As said, I was concerned about a lack of resin production over our Aussie summer and now 2 weeks into autumn things have changed. What were snowy button-sized buds have fattened along the horizontal tie-wires so much its impossible to find the stems. All are standing upright and thickening like mini-hedges. The bouquet around the plant is strong and distinctly citrus. If anyone is interested I'll figure out how to upload some pix.

I also found a grower's forum that suggested falling seasonal temps will not reduce resin production and is seen as beneficial in preserving terpines (flavour and aromatics) and promoting trichome production in the buds close to senescence. Colour responses to cooling weather are more pronounced in indica buds/sub-tending leaves than sativas, though Michka's petioles have been deep maroon throughout with no hint of colouring in the leaves, yet. The pistils are pure white so I guess its a case of hurry up and wait to see what happens. At this rate I reckon it will be a full year in the ground before she's ready to harvest. At least we don't get snow here over winter, so a few cold, rain-free sunny days will be on my wish-list to wrap up an interesting season.

Are there any other southern hemisphere outdoors growers still with a way to go before harvest? I used to use light deprivation techniques to trigger flowering in persistent longer-growing sativas but it was hit and miss so now I use nutrient banding and basically let the plant do its own thing.

use imagur.com for pictures - you do not even need to be a member.
sounds like success, did you taste it yet?

^I'll give it a go. And no, I haven't and won't sample the bud until the time is right. I think this one will be worthy of the effort.