• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Resetting tolerance

MJ420

Bluelighter
Sorry if in the wrong section. I am tapering down from going back on methadone and was at 24mg. I have an extremely painful tooth infection and only option for pain was more methadone. I hated to but my doc put me up to 30mg and next week i get a root canal.
Will my tolerance go up after 1 week? I was planning on dropping 2.5 next week and 2.5 after . Could i just drop 5?
Thanks

Ibuprofen actually works best for tooth pain.
It will decrease the inflammation also.

Do some hot salt water rinses.
Fill a cup with hot Water (hot as you can stand), add Three teaspoons salt, mix, and swish it around your mouth.
Hold the hot salt water on the infected tooth.
This will not only pull the infection out but relief is instant!
It really helps!

Hope you feel better soon.

Yes your tolerance will have likely mostly have readjusted to the 30mg/day after a weeks time. But this is ok, just a small bump in the road, just means the taper might take a little longer than you originally thought.

whether to do two 2.5mg drops or one 5mg drop - that kinda depends on you and how you normally react to drops. Drops of less than 10% are usually pretty "easy" to handle but when you start getting up to 15% and higher is when it starts to get uncomfortable (for me, anyways). So I would do two separate drops of 2.5mg because I know 5mg at once would be too much for me (being that you are at 30mg - 5mg drop is like ~16.7% change while 2.5mg is ~8.3% )

Painful Ones advice about NSAIDS and salt water rinse are both really great advice.

Ibuprofen wouldn't touch it and i do know how to rinse with salt water, i am an adult, an extra 6mg of methadone barely is touching it
Crazy how fast your tolerance gets reset

of course, and we get it. We weren't trying to be condescending, I hope it didn't come across that way, Just relaying the science - NSAIDS can help with tooth pain because they can help to reduce the inflammation/swelling. Obviously, this is barely going to do much considering how severe the pain is but, in my experience, it can help to take a bit of the very sharp edge of the pain away. Yea, the help is not much, of course, but when in the throes of severe tooth pain I'll take whatever I can get. Usually I have to take atleast like 800mg of ibuprofen though, which is above the recommended dosage on the otc bottle.

Hey OP! I'm very sorry to hear about the tooth pain. From what I've heard, it's excruciating. First, have you noticed an improvement in your level of pain relief with the increase? The answer to your question is most likely, yes, your body will become acclimated to this new dose. I hate to say it, but you know better than we do what you are going to be able to tolerate in terms of the speed of your taper.

Given the fact that you have only just recently increased your dosage, I believe it could be a little bit easier to drop your dose as opposed to say, having been maintained on that dose for some time. I bet you could tolerate 5mg at a time, but that is just my wild guess.

When I had severe tooth pain last year I used Oxycodone+Paracetamol+Ibuprofen together at generous doses and it almost completely eliminated the pain! I was gonna throw in Ketamine as well cos it was that bad. Have u tried combining the Methadone with APAP & Ibuprofen?

of course, and we get it. We weren't trying to be condescending, I hope it didn't come across that way, Just relaying the science - NSAIDS can help with tooth pain because they can help to reduce the inflammation/swelling. Obviously, this is barely going to do much considering how severe the pain is but, in my experience, it can help to take a bit of the very sharp edge of the pain away. Yea, the help is not much, of course, but when in the throes of severe tooth pain I'll take whatever I can get. Usually I have to take atleast like 800mg of ibuprofen though, which is above the recommended dosage on the otc bottle.

Not the ibuprofen but being told how to rinse with salt water step by step is very condensing but that's life.
Im taking naproxen with everything else to bring the inflammation down
@Keif' Richards yes the extra 6mg is helping alot. Oddly enough i got a bit high the first day but i did increase 25% but was unexpected but nice lol i have been having zero symptoms from my taper so next week I will drop 3mg and 3mg a few days later. Just to make sure.

Thanks everyone, methadone is a bitch to say the latest and i successfully stopped it last year tapering slow and jumping at 2mg but alot happened and instead of heroin i went to the clinic so i am probably overthinking it. And if this slows my taper by a couple weeks i have to stop beating myself until about it.
The antibiotics are working so pain is getting better. My God this tooth pain is almost as bad as childbirth, almost lol
Im in Canada and weed is legal so that is also helping

When I had severe tooth pain last year I used Oxycodone+Paracetamol+Ibuprofen together at generous doses and it almost completely eliminated the pain! I was gonna throw in Ketamine as well cos it was that bad. Have u tried combining the Methadone with APAP & Ibuprofen?

I take methadone, naproxen and tylenol when I had a fever. Ketamine would be nice lol

What i have been doing is leaving 10ml in a 50ml bottle. The pain got better after 2 days and I don't go to the clinic til friday and didn't want to take the extra for a full week so Friday I'm going back to 24mg. Taking 10ml put of 50ml im probably lower then 24 right now so should be easy

What i have been doing is leaving 10ml in a 50ml bottle. The pain got better after 2 days and I don't go to the clinic til friday and didn't want to take the extra for a full week so Friday I'm going back to 24mg. Taking 10ml put of 50ml im probably lower then 24 right now so should be easy
i dunno if the term words easy and methadone go together, but i'm glad i haven't needed to use methadone as of yet, i did have a few sips of the stuff last year, i'll stick to other opiates.

i dunno if the term words easy and methadone go together, but i'm glad i haven't needed to use methadone as of yet, i did have a few sips of the stuff last year, i'll stick to other opiates.

I stopped methadone last year with very little problems

I stopped methadone last year with very little problems
to each their own, i've known people who've been the stuff for 25 years, and also some who've only used it temporarily, my consensus is it's usually not easy, but a determined person will be able to get off anything if they want to.

to each their own, i've known people who've been the stuff for 25 years, and also some who've only used it temporarily, my consensus is it's usually not easy, but a determined person will be able to get off anything if they want to.

Not overly easy but if you want off it bad enough it makes it easier

IIRC Ibuprofen is better at swelling than naproxen? They are both the same family of drugs but they aren both good at different things

IIRC Ibuprofen is better at swelling than naproxen? They are both the same family of drugs but they aren both good at different things

Pharmacy and doctor said they work the same