• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Research Sheds Light on Mechanism by Which Long-Term Anti-Anxiety Drug Use Affects the Brain

Well that sucks but i would rather a lifetime not in a constant state of panic and only thing that works for me is clonzepam.

It's unfortunate that this looks to be the case, I guess benzos aren't the best replacement for barbiturates after all. This has been rumored for a while, the evidence seems to be stacking up against benzos.

I hope we can find a better replacement that has less side effects. We are still very ignorant on the workings of the brain and our current psychiatric drugs are pretty blunt tools.

as ive been posting: bzds are not a sustainable treatment path. It sucks because they work so well for symptoms, but the damage i have witnessed and the research leads to pretty much one conclusion.

Does long term benzo treatment even work or does one eventually just need the benzo to reach baseline?

I got addicted to lorazepam (my very first medicine I'd ever gotten) at the age of 16, got it 2-3mg/d during 3 months or 4 and then cold turkey by an asshole of a doctor. What followed was easily the most anxious period in my life and I get disability support for (not only) social anxiety. It faded eventually and after another 3 months or so I could slowly sleep or go out without the horrific tension again but I thought it wasn't worth the price. Wonder if tapering would have saved my ass. But later, by coincidence, I found that NMDA antagonists do absolutely kick ass as anxiolytics, unfortunately I've abused hell out of them during a very dark period in my life (after my first long term gf of 9 years left me out on street) and paid the price but anxiety wasn't among it. I'd say that by proper use of e.g. methoxetamine (which isn't around anymore but derivates like DMXE) in a medical treatment setting and in retard pill formulation to avoid binge use they might well make superior anxiolytic antidepressants. Works for social and generalized anxiety in me and read about other's experiences but unfortunately the only dissociative available for treatment in some places is ketamine which is far too short acting. I don't recommend experimenting with research chemicals, just mention it because in me it really works. Most of all remember that RCs come usually with a limited half life after which they will be banned and no doc can prescribe banned substances.

I really hope they will come out with some glutamate targeting psychopharms. Memantine is around and shouldn't be too hard to get, it has some papers suggesting anxiolytic effects as well. It's used routineously in the elderly so shouldn't have too bad long term effects but then again it's a D2 agonist with possible dopaminergic withdrawal. I was on it for months, it wasn't as potent as MXE & co. by far but it has some anxiolytic effects and withdrawal was almost nonpresent.