European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Requesting help with addiction.

fermonos

Bluelighter
Okay so, I'm finally going to ask for help for my opiate addiction.

I'm addicted to codeine, but I can guarantee the way I'm going I'm going to end up on heroin. I've already tried it once and it's only a matter of time before I'm trying it again when I'm out of codeine.

Anyway I'm from the UK so could any fellow Englishmen give me some information on the steps on getting help, I told my Doctor and said I wanted help but was told 'he can't do anything' as well as not even telling me any agencies which can help me.

Basically I just wanna know who is the best group/agency to go seek help and what steps will I go through and any tips on making the whole process faster and easier. I'm very scared they won't do nothing since I'm just on codeine and nothing harder :/. I can just see my life spirally out of control lately though. Getting into benzos, trying heroin, redosing a few times a day on codeine and not being satisfied with it. I'm literally holding myself back from getting heroin and I'm only doing that because I'm on 300mg codeine two or three times a day plus 0.5mg xanax every few hours. Just really need help before I fuck everything up even more.

Oh I also let my probation worker know and she said she'll try and see what she can do. I'm also seeing a therapist for first time next week and I will express my concerns with him/her and my probation worker is coming along. I was really hoping I'd get some benzos prescribed for my anxiety once I've seen my therapist since that's what my Doctor said he would look into, but I highly doubt that'll ever happen now. I've not told anyone I'm using benzos though so hopefully it'll still happen. If not I'll at least get some pregabalin or something, because all he's tried given me atm is Propranolol and Fluoxetine which I've told him they both don't work. I told him the prozac made me more suicidal and he put me on propranolol again. He did say though once I've seen a therapist and if that doesn't help he will look down different routes so fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I'd have to recommend Kratom as both buprenorphine and methadone are worse drugs to be on then codeine. Although if you feel Heroin use is impending buprenorphine might not be such a bad idea. Fluoxetine is ancient and lacking compared to some of the newer SSRI's and Propranolol is a beta blocker for high blood pressure and might have a little effect on panic disorder but there are much better and newer things than those for the problems you have described. Is your doctor quite old ? It might behoove you to seek out a new doc..

One problem: not sure of the legal status of kratom in the Yoo Kay..

Thing is, Kratom is pretty much the same price as I'd pay for codeine. Maybe a little more + I've tried it and not really enjoyed it. I'm looking more to get high, I'm not ready to quit, not even close. But I need something for when my codeine is out or I will go to heroin because of the cheapness and availability.

Basically I'd be quite happy with a codeine script but that's not going to happen is it, but maybe methadone or suboxone since it's prescribed for people who are withdrawing for opiates.

I'm from uk. Codeine addict. I just got on a subutex script to detox from a London clinic. There are no subs dr's in uk. U sound like u r not ready to quit? There are many legal online uk pharmacies that will post you codeine/dhc/tramadol etc. I'm on my 3rd go at subs detox and this time I inducted at 14mg- I couldn't believe it. My illness has got worse and worse after 13 long years and I'm praying for a miracle.

Was really expecting a little more help from you guys, pretty disappointed.

Was really expecting a little more help from you guys, pretty disappointed.

You have to admit that the title " Requesting Help with Addiction" is kind of confusing when a couple posts in you state you want to get high on something similar to Codeine. That and it's only been 48 hrs.

Something like Triplenamine (pyribenzamine) added to your Codeine or maybe some Talwin (pentazocine)- might be entertaining for awhile. Not in very wide use anymore though and I have no idea about price.

http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/swigzine/clips/ts-and-blues-the-prescription-phenomenon/view

Yeah it seems you want to carry on, but haven't got a supply. Nothing wrong with that, but quitting opiates is a hard battle and if you're not 100% you'll struggle. But I will say I'm in the UK, started the same codeine and DHC. Was easy and affordable at first, but eventually my only option was to quit or switch to H. I wasn't ready to quit and that was me fucked, once your using heroin regularly life gets a whole lot more complicated. Being as you've already made that step you need to think long and hard about where you go from here. As for addiction services they'll differ depending where you are in the country, but your GP's being a dick for not pointing you in the right direction. Basically you need to go the website for whatever your local health board is, you should be able to self refer to the addictions service. If your experience is anything like mine don't expect miracles, it takes time to get anywhere. Other than that it might be worth looking into quitting by yourself, it wont be easy but at the same time it only ever gets harder. Good luck, hope things work out.

Addiction is like a journey. Once you've set out, there's no stopping until you reach your destination. Unfortunately, the destination is usually hell on earth. It is possible to return once you're there, but virtually impossible to abort the trip en route.

Don't get caught up in the drug services. Don't get on bupe, don't get on methadone. Give yourself a good fuckin slap and concentrate on managing the codeine use.

Opiate addiction is a self fulfilling prophecy...

^ Exactly.

It's tough and despite of the years you are off of them - there's always these dreams, and cravings that comes totally out of the blue. I also agree about methadone and subs. These are the last resources IMO, when the situation is totally out of control. Still, you'd have to use them temporarily or else you are still hooked up in a way or another. It basically takes you out of the streets.

I was in your situation a couple of years ago, taking 700mg codeine three times a day. I found it easy to reduce each dose by around ten percent as it still gave me the same "high". Over the course of two years I've gone from 700mg x 3, to 30mg x 4 which I get via a legitimate pain prescription. I never once felt withdrawals and never lost the high. Even now, although I'm taking the codeine for a shoulder condition, I still get the same buzz that I did when I was taking over twenty times the dose. Seems you can train the receptors to work with an ever smaller amount given enough time between reductions.

It can be done and it can be very easy with a bit of discipline. All the best. Let me know if you have any questions.

I don't know where you are in the UK, but i'd recommend giving your local addiction service a call, mine is Lifeline, they are really helpful though it's a bit of a fuck around getting started they usually make you wait 2 - 3 weeks for an assesment. Just give them a call and they ask a few prying questions and in 10 minutes you'll have an appointment sorted and in a month you'll be on a substitute with a reduction schedule and counciling. I strongly advise against trying to sub it yourself by buying things online like Kratom, the first time at least. The services are there to be used, they're not just for jakey's and tramps there's no shame in it.

Gotta say I agree that it's counterproductive to escalate from a codeine habit - believe me and believe us all when I tell you it only gets harder and harder and so very much harder.

If you're just looking for a script for summat stronger then they are easy to come by. Advising you how to do such would do you a disservice though. Speak to your support workers and whatever your local DSP happens to be. They can genuinely help you. The proviso is that you have to be willing to help yourself cos they can sniff drugseekers out a mile off... and will often just let 'em get on with it. This is not as good as it sounds cos whilst you will get a script you will also tend to miss out on actual help... and those scripts are harder and harder to get each year. You kinda have to ask yourself what is most important to you then go for it.

Many of us here started on codeine. Some went further - some very much further - but we all end up in the same place... Apart from those that never do.

Good luck.

<3

i feel like people are getting quite tired of me reeling out the same thing over and over but i highly recommend the 'rapid buperenorphine taper'.
you need around 20 sublinguial tablets, some comfort meds (ibuprofen, sleepers, immodium, buscopan, vitamins etc) and two weeks.

if you want to know more let me know either here or through a private message. i'm from the UK so i can help you contact the appropriate services but you;re gonna want to inform your GP to get the ball rolling. i know it sucks having that in your medical records but a medically supervised taper isn't just a check up here and there - you'll be put into contact with all kinds of services. this doesn't all just stop when you get over the physical stuff, its something you'll need to work on for a long time thru counselling and stuff. letting your doctor know gives you this framework that makes getting clean and staying clean so much easier.

congrats on taking the first step man, let me know if you need anything.

I know more than one, know more than two people who are on suboxone for codeine addiction, it's done wonders for them because they replaced a pretty weak drug with bupe, now they always have a spring in there step, but it's getting off it.

I know more than one, know more than two people who are on suboxone for codeine addiction, it's done wonders for them because they replaced a pretty weak drug with bupe, now they always have a spring in there step, but it's getting off it.

I found coming off 0.4mg incredably difficult, especially considering they only gave me 3 zopiclone and sent me on my way, like that was in anyway enough. I've got an appointment to hopefully start my script again tomorrow, am looking to start at around 4mg (which is more or less how much i take everyday anyway)

If you tell your uk gp they send you to local drugs support and ban you for life from mind altering substances even if you have a chronic pain condition and the MRI scans to prove it. The local drugs services prioritise the H patients (in my experience) and the waiting time is 3 months. They only offer short term subs detox e.g week to 2 weeks.
If u r lucky enough to have ££& go private. A psychiatrist can prescribe medication to you or look up the London clinic OAD clinic. But now they even want to tell your GP !

If you tell your uk gp they send you to local drugs support and ban you for life from mind altering substances even if you have a chronic pain condition and the MRI scans to prove it.

sorry mate what do you mean by this? like you get a mark in your medical records as a drug user or something? cause they still prescribe you pain meds if you have a chronic condition as long as you have completed your rehab program. at least,k that's what they did with me.

Yes, there are far reaching consequences from getting caught up in the drug services. Try to avoid at all costs - unless you're happy with being branded a 'junkie' for the rest of your life.

It's like having a criminal record. Once it's done, it's done. There ain't no going back..

Last edited: