Renamed: Upgrade Discussion Thread

Glad BL is back - aside from the errors last night, it seems to be performing a lot better than it was.

I'm not very happy with the new theme, as a lot of others have said. I have a 1080p screen, and I still feel like I can't get enough on the screen, because there's so much padding between messages in a thread. This trend towards wasted screenspace (which almost every software company is guilty of) is getting really frustrating. It's as if developers think that screen size has grown like CPU speed (until this winter, I had fewer pixels on my screen than I did in 2001), when available screenspace is static in the horizontal and shrinking in the vertical (back in the early 2000's, everyone I knew ran 1200x1024, now 1376x768 and 1440x900 is more common - and yet, vertical screen space is wasted, everywhere).

There 15-20 pixels of deadspace between posts, then a 20-30 pixel tab that only has 1 button on the far right to minimize the post, then another 20-30 pixels with just a number and a tiny icon on the left, then another 10 pixels or so on the bottom just to give a curve. That's like 80 pixels. The three elements of content could fit in a 20 pixel bar, or even on the same line as the date/time of the post, with 5-10 px of padding between posts. Zooming out helps, but it makes the text too small to read before it fits as much content as used to fit on the screen.
I'm imagining something like this - we don't need full on graphic design, we just need the padding hacked off.

Also, why is there no word wrap in the quick reply box? Before, if a word went off the edge of the quick reply text area, the whole word would appear on the next line. Now, only the letters that would go past the end of the line do. This makes editing/proofreading posts kinda hard... Is this just me? I'm running Chrome - but chrome rarely has browser-specific bugs.

The post editor was ENTIRELY replaced in this version of vBulletin (one of its most controversial and bemoaned changes) and the word-wrapping issue is a result of this change. The new editor is different, still sort of buggy, and not at all within our control. I also run chrome and it also does not word wrap for me. Annoying? Yes. Something we can do much about right at this minute? No.

Likewise, this theme is just a theme. Its a package deal. The old one was not available, this was the closest one we could find that was still blue. I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but much of it is outside our control unless we have a better theme. Feel free to track some down for us that are blue and closer to the old one that are vB4 compatible (and keep in mind, each one of these skins come at a licensing price and we're entirely supported by donations.)

i dont care for the new logo weew!!!

I was bored last night so I had a stab at updating the logo to match the new skin a bit better...

Here's what it looks like as a favicon:

An example of how it would look on the site:

The files you'd need to use it as-is (without hotlinking from my domain, natch) are here:

I appreciate it still needs a lot of work, particularly the text, but if anyone else fancies improving it the .psd is here:

P.S. Probably mentioned elsewhere but in writing this post I notice that no matter what URL I stick into the tool to add an image to a post, it says the url is invalid.

Last edited:
Despite recent frustrations id like to thank everyone who is working on making BL a better forum. Im sure you guys put in alot of time and effort.

Words cannot describe how much I appreciate you doing this man!! :D BL is all about community and shared contribution and I truly thank you for making these! I'll link them to our engineer and hopefully get them updated and sorted out shortly.

The image button on the editor is one of those buggy features I mentioned earlier :/ Good 'ol tags work, but the image button tries to do something else with them. It will require a manual modification of the editor code and is definitely on the to-do list of things to fix.

Thanks man! :)[/QUOTE]

No problem! PM me if you need anything fixing or want anything changing. I've gotten so much (sometimes potentially life saving) information out of BL in my 5+ years as a lurker, so it's great to be able to give something back.

That said I'm sure there are plenty of other creative talents here so if anyone has any suggestions or wants to take the idea further be more than happy :)

Last edited:
Clicking "post reply" at the top or at the bottom of the thread seems to do nothing but give me the spinning loading icon...

is it just me or did the reply button disappear for a day or a couple hours either yesterday or a few days ago? i could have sworn it went away for a little bit.

I got a PM from a greenlighter saying they got the "do not have permission to view" page when trying to view my profile... I gave them the direct link to my profile and they still got it. Figured I'd bring it up here.

Edit- I guess I misunderstood, she was trying to view my Blog, which I made unavailable.

I've figured out that the google-powered search feature is only available now before you log in - i.e. when you are logged out, as are the links at the top of the forums (faq, index links etc.). I'd love to see this feature re-enabled if at all humanly possible :). I know I can create another tab and search in actual google, but it's better when it's done from Bluelight.

I can't seem to figure out the source code. I know that it wasn't used much, but it was a way to have a link to the source appear as a superscript saying "source" after a quote. It was done using
tags. When I tried it, it automatically inserted tags around the source. Here is h...till. I was quoting a wikipedia page before.

Hey, with the quick navigation it seems that I have to scroll to the lounge when I try to use it instead of just clicking it. Maybe I am doing it wrong but is that how its gonna be now?

Is the auto-save feature available for when you click "quote" or did I just find a bug?

(Had a rather long reply typed out in a quote reply box and clicked somewhere by mistake and poof! reply gone.)

In my opinion, the new 'Closed Thread' icon sucks dead weasels through a hosepipe.

thread_lock-16.png

OK then. :D

The mod names under forum categories often overlap the description text, in a way that makes the forum look a complete mess, other than that the theme is much nicer, however that itself is a rather big issue.

I suspect the issue is use of HTML5, which my browser does not support. Unfortunately me and many others can't use HTML5 supporting browsers because: We use Firefox for many addons that we need, aside from HTML5 - Firefox 4 and 5 are huge downgrades from 3.6.

Edit: I took a look in Firebug and I'm thinking it's more likely the CSS.

Last edited:
The mod names under forum categories often overlap the description text, in a way that makes the forum look a complete mess, other than that the theme is much nicer, however that itself is a rather big issue.
it's not clear where exactly you're seeing that - URL???