• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Removing Naloxone from Buprenorphine in Suboxone by simple distillation

Status
Not open for further replies.

dayve

Greenlighter
I often come here for advice and always find it useful. I recently saw an inquisitive post/thread which I feel competent in answering. So, this way I'm giving back a little. The thread is followed by my answer.

18-09-2008 15:39 Report Post
I was researching a way to remove Naloxone from Suboxone just so the bupe would be in there, and I think I MAY have a method, gimme your thoughts.

The melting point of Naloxone is 351 - 356F....

The Melting point of Bupe is 519 F.

So in theory, heating a solution of Suboxone to over 356 F but under 519 F would destroy the Naloxone, but keep the Bupe.

Would this work? I'm hoping it would . All it would require is an accurate thermometer and a heat source (hot plate?).

Tell me what you think. If I can get my hands on some suboxone I would experiment, but if you have any on hand, experiment and see what happens...

-lenses

The author describes a method for the separation of the indicated compounds. There is also some debate about it's validity. My background has prepared me for such problems. I was trained as a molecular biologist and I received a minor in chemistry with my degree.

This method is so common and basic that it's taught in introductory classes under the common name: Simple Distillation. It's based on the fact that different compounds have different, unique, and specific physical characteristics. Each has a specific temperature at which it freezes into a solid, a temperature at which it becomes a liquid, and a higher temperature where it boils and turns into a gas. These unique, specific, and known values for these compounds are used to separate basic to mildly complex mixtures of chemicals. The method is described below:

An aqueous (liquid) solution of suboxone is placed in a vessel which can withstand the high temperatures called for:

Naloxone is 351 - 356F
Buprenorphine is 519 F

overview: A solution of Suboxone is heated to temperatures in excess of 519 F. The two components, Naloxone, and buprenorphine can be collected at different temperatures. These temperatures are the specific boiling points for the compounds. Naloxone: 351 to 356 degrees Fahrenheit, Buprenorphine: 519 degrees Fahrenheit

A thermometer is placed in the neck of the vessel, above the solution, but within the vessel. A spot where the liquid solution changes to a gas. In order to collect the gases rising out of the vessel (it may even be called a reaction vessel at this stage) a device called a condensing tube is used. This device may be difficult to visualize w/out seeing it, so google-image it. It is a glass tube with a chamber running around the periphery. A flow of water is sent through the chamber. As the gases from the reaction vessel enter the condensing tube they are hot. Very hot, around 351 degrees F for the lower compound. The periphery of the condensing tube is cold due to the flow of cold water. this causes the gases to condense, changing physically again to a liquid. It can be difficult to set up the equipment correctly to ensure collection of the products. But not too hard. Once you visualize the equipment, or see it in front of you it is common-sensical. The setup of the equipment with a heat source, water source for the condenser, and the thermometer set in the right place will allow you to separate the naloxone from the buprenorphine. The next section will describe how the simple distillation is physically performed.

When the solution is heated, the temperature starts to rise. it is important to pay close attention to the thermometer. As the temperature rises, you will notice something interesting. upon reaching the first boiling point, the lower one, naloxone at 351 df, ,the temperature on the thermometer will stat at 351 df until all of the naloxone boils, or evaporates away. The thermometer will literally stay exactly on 351 df for some time. It will definitely be noticeable. After all of the naloxone is removed you will notice the temperature on the thermometer start to rise again. You then remove the collection vessel, which contains naloxone now. Switch it out for a fresh, clean collection vessel to collect the final and desired product, the buprenorphine. You will observe the same phenomenon in regards to the temperature on the thermometer again. The temperature will rise again to the boiling point of buprenorphine, 519 df. The temperature will stay at this point until the buprenorphine has been removed from the solution. You will know that all of the buprenorphine has been removed when the temperature starts climbing above 519 df. And there you have it. This is the method of simple distillation in regards to the separation of naloxone from buprenorphine. A few issues/problems remain however. See below

1.) An aqueous, liquid, solution is needed for this process. However, water will not work. The boiling point of water
is approximately 200 df. This means that the water would boil off, and be distilled first.
a.) Ideally, a buffer is needed to create an aqueous solution of suboxone. For this situation you'd need something
with a boiling point above that of the buprenorphine.
b.) However, there are other important factors to consider when choosing a buffer. Something is needed with the
physical properties mentioned (high boiling point); however, it also has to remain chemically inert or nonreactive
with the naloxone and buprenorphine. It is also important to ensure the buffer remains inactive at the high
temperatures required.
c.) Another important consideration is an attempt to ensure that the buffer used to create the aqueous solution is
is non toxic.

2.) It is strictly, or theoretically possible for the simple distillation to be performed with no buffer at all, using simply
pharmacy grade suboxone, or the stuff you get a prescription for. The problem I foresee with this method is the
physical characteristics of the suboxone itself. I get the impression that if you put a solid strip in a reaction
chamber and heat it, it may end up scorching. Therefore, if this method is used, the heat should be administered
very slowly and deliberately.

Post Script:
If anyone tries this out by this method, or another distillation method, I'd love to hear your methodology and results
I recently got a 'scrpt for subutex, or bupronorphine alone. I plan on using these IV for the obvious reasons. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who hat. I hope that this was informative, and cleared up any misunderstandings. I hope to hear from you's. I"m interested in your methodology as well as results. Oh, and don't forget, anyone who has IV'ed subutex, or buprenorphine, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the experience. Thanks.

OH MY GOD!

Are you a chemist? Do you have some kind of chemistry degree? I'd really like to see what liquid you use that can be heated to the temperatures you are talking about.

Buprenorphine binds to your opiate receptors much stronger then most other opiates including Naloxone. They may put it in Suboxone to prevent abuse but in reality it doesn't work. If you don't believe it and you have pills with and without Naloxone, try it for yourself.

What you are talking about doing is probably just as complicated as making the drug itself.

OH MY GOD!

Are you a chemist? Do you have some kind of chemistry degree? I'd really like to see what liquid you use that can be heated to the temperatures you are talking about.

Buprenorphine binds to your opiate receptors much stronger then most other opiates including Naloxone. They may put it in Suboxone to prevent abuse but in reality it doesn't work. If you don't believe it and you have pills with and without Naloxone, try it for yourself.

What you are talking about doing is probably just as complicated as making the drug itself.

I have tried both suboxone and subutex (as well as zubsolv), and to me there is a huge difference. Suboxone does nothing except maintain me. With subutex, I get noticable euphoria and pain relief. Why this happens, I don't know. But I also know that there are others out there that claim that there is a huge difference. Most of the time, those on here who claim that there is no difference are just spitting out information they heard online, without actually trying it for themselves. Alot of those people probably haven't got to try subutex, as alot of docs won't prescribe it.

It is not all in my head either. A week ago I had the 8/2 suboxone strips and the 8mg subutex tablet. I took the suboxone first. Felt nothing but a little more energy. Then I took the subutex, and got significant euphoria and was nodding out with the aid of some hydroxyzine. So for me there is a huge difference.

I have tried both suboxone and subutex (as well as zubsolv), and to me there is a huge difference. Suboxone does nothing except maintain me. With subutex, I get noticable euphoria and pain relief. Why this happens, I don't know. But I also know that there are others out there that claim that there is a huge difference. Most of the time, those on here who claim that there is no difference are just spitting out information they heard online, without actually trying it for themselves. Alot of those people probably haven't got to try subutex, as alot of docs won't prescribe it.

It is not all in my head either. A week ago I had the 8/2 suboxone strips and the 8mg subutex tablet. I took the suboxone first. Felt nothing but a little more energy. Then I took the subutex, and got significant euphoria and was nodding out with the aid of some hydroxyzine. So for me there is a huge difference.

Really to me there is no difference in Subutex, Suboxone, Buprenotex, Temgesic, Norspan and all the other brands ive taken over the years.
The only difference I can state is that those that cointained Naloxone maybe took a little longer to fully kick in but that might as well have been placebo.
The different fillers do play a role too, both psychologically and physically.

Ive been an opioiduser over a decade and have been on the Sub program before and have bought them from the street in the past so I know my stuff when it comes to Bupe.

Personally I always found subutex superior in effect to 'zone, but there is no chance in hell that I would risk wasting my sub dose, on some type of highly theoretical extraction procedure that probably wouldn't work. I say that, because this heating theory is very old, and if it really worked a lot more people would be doing it because (in theory, of course) it seems so easy.
I can't say I have much in the way of a chemistry background, but say you managed to destroy the naloxone at the right temperature? It's still going to be in there, just in a different form, and good luck trying to remove that. So, try it if you want to by all means and please post if you have any success, because these "remove naloxone from suboxone" theories are a dime a dozen, and I've never heard of a single person even bother trying to actually do it, nonetheless say if they succeeded or not.

Isn't the addition of naloxone more of a psychological deterrent rather than something that has a significant effect when used intravenously in combination with the bupe. It's been a long time since I read up on it but I believe it has such a high affinity for the mu-opiate receptors i.e. it binds to them so strongly that even with addition of naloxone the bupe will still work. If the user is dependent on a full agonist like heroin and then slams bupe, they will go into precipitated withdrawal and so the notion that the naloxone is the cause of this rather than the bupe is perpetuated. It's a great piece of propaganda if this is the case, but whether it's really true I don't know, because as I say, it's been a long time since I read up on all of this.

If you ask me, its more of a marketing gimmick to make bupe more desirable for treatment providers. There is def a psychological element to it though. Saying that, I did try injecting it once; it didn't put me into precip WD, but it wasn't the same as subutex. I think spending a lot of time trying to extract the naloxone would be a waste of energy to be honest.

I have never tried Subutex to compare it to Suboxone so I can not comment on if there is a difference or not. If you read my post again I only said that the Naloxone will not negate the effects of the Buprenorphine which I know it doesn't for a fact and I am sure any other person that has IV'd Suboxone can't will agree. Now whether it is the same as taking a Subutex, again I can't comment.

The thread is about distilling the Naloxone so we should be staying on that topic. I'm stilling laughing every time I read it.=D If the two forms do differ in effects and it has something to do with Suboxone fillers, etc. then distilling the Naloxone won't make it any better then Suboxone. Either way, I think it would be just as difficult to distill away the Naloxone as it would be to synthesize Buprenorphine.

Now that I think about it when the people compared Subutex to Suboxone and found Subutex to be stronger, were they comparing it to the pill form of Suboxone or the film?

We only have the pills here; the films are not available. I wouldn't describe the effects as stronger with subutex-just more energetic and enjoyable in comparison to suboxone. Suboxone makes me very lethargic; 'tex never did that.

there must be some other reason for the difference, the naloxone shouldnt have any effect on the bupe, it only affects other opiates. bupe binds too strong to be fucked up by the naloxone

are you sure the difference is not because of ROA, film vs pill, or placebo/mental thing?

ive had scripts to both subutex pills and suboxone stips...Ive been steady iv using for a few years and in MY opinion there isn't a difference...neither will make me nod off or anything like...they get me geeked for 30mins to an hour...I prefer the suboxone strips over all the others..just my opinion

When I said tex was superior to xone, I think the ROA I used for subutex factors into it; I used it IV. That being said, when I banged suboxone, the effects were much different. As I said, it didn't put me into precip WD's, but it did not give me any appreciable high compared to tex. But who knows? Maybe it was a mental thing; maybe my mind was telling me the naloxone would fuck me up in some way...

This would just be a type of fractional distillation, but I'm not sure if you could use the liquid buffer. I mean I don't even know if any liquids exist which would boil at that high of a temperature.
The bonds between liquids are usually pretty weak, thus them existing in the liquid phase at room temperature
If you were able to carefully heat both to get between the boiling points of the two and to prevent burning, I can't see why you couldn't use a condenser

I'm so confused by so many of these suboxone posts. Why are people looking for ways to get high off of it?? Why don't you just go back to your DOC? I'm sure it would be much cheaper and you wouldn't have to do all this research. I would think people go on Suboxone when they make a choice to be and STAY clean. One of the qualities about suboxone is that it gets you used to living a normal life without the high. So if you're having a hard time without the high, you're obviously not ready for sobriety or suboxone.

go ahead and take some bupe if you are maintained on a full agonist and have a tolerance...i dare ya ;)

i know ive posted this before, but ive been on mmt for around 3 years come this dec, and about 1.5 years ago my little sister whom i care for very much, got hooked and was walking in her big brothers footprints. couldnt have it. she was over the apt one night and i said give me your stash. she produced a tiny white piece of pill and said it was the last of her oxymorphone. i said go get a few bupes and ill help you with a detox. yeah right...lol she left and there was still this tiny piece of oxymorphone so i said fuck it and just going to rail this before my gf gets home. soo i did and about 20 mins later i start to feel that "oh shit" feeling. sweating, uncomfortable, light getting bright and me getting nauseated. i call her and say what was in that pill, she comes clean and says its subutex....oh fuck. so long story short i became incredibly sick. i was on 110mgs of mmt and it blew that shit apart like a fusion bomb...even after dosing the methadone for 2 days i didnt feel right. and this was a tiny piece of sub. maybe like 1 or 2mg. yeah. beyond horrible.

The only time I've ever had precipitated w/d with bupe was after being on methadone for several days. I can use buprenorphine after 24 hours with all other opiates. But I took a sub after 36 hours without methadone and it was horrific. So I know what you mean 'medicine cabinet'.

Yep, one time the Doc gave me Fentanyl patches and I snorted some Subutex. It felt like a tornado touched down inside me!!! It was absolutely terrible!!!

I think the difference is based on your dosage; I am scripted 16MG bupe/daily and feel nothing but there is no urge and a smile on my face.

its a relatively high dosage but I shot 1-2 grams of dope a day and toward the it was fent, so the more the merrier. ha. but anytime I've taken subutex or anything else I felt NOTHING different; I'd take the same full dosage as I would my bupe but still not feel a different.

so, MAYBE those on 1-4MG bupe would feel a difference but those who are scripted relatively high have a hard time.

again, this is MY EXPERIENCE ONLY! and doing all that is mentioned to a sub is WAY TOO MUCH! ill just buy dope that day, lol

My friend has a morphine habit. If she snorts suboxone, will it send her into withdrawal? She is also on 60 mls of methadone. She's been told if she waits a few hours, she'll be OK. Is this true? You seem to know the most out of the posts I've read on the subject. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.