• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Remedies for cotton mouth (not including water/liquid)

Mycophile

Bluelighter
So, like most weed appreciators, I can enjoy smoking, vaping, dabs, edibles etc during day or night, but there's something special about smoking at night (my preferred method of intake is smoking flower). The problem is, and yes this is personal, but I don't really give a shit cause no one knows me...well, now that I'm middle aged within the past few years I developed a bladder problem. I retain urine, and even though I take a medication for it that helps somewhat, if I drink too much water I'm still pissing like crazy all night long and can't sleep for shit.

So for me, I get REALLY bad cotton mouth when I smoke or even vape sometimes, and I cough a shitload, and so I'm always drinking water to cool my throat and deal with the cotton mouth. That means that most of the time if I end up smoking anywhere close to bedtime my sleep is fucked and I'm pissing all night long, and it makes smoking at night almost impossible. I can SOMETIMES get away with LOW temperature vaping to an extent, but that's it. Edibles for some reason completely ruin my sleep for other reasons.

So, are there any really good remedies for cotton mouth and also throat irritation that DON'T involve drinking water/liquid?

I've tried gums, cough drops and throat sprays, and they just don't work well enough. I looked up why weed causes cotton mouth, and it seems to be because it produces something called anandamide which suppresses saliva production. So today I looked up another kind of mouth spray, a type of lozenge and a type of mouthwash, all which contain Xylitol which is said to help you produce more saliva. I also bought straws as some say that drinking through straws produces more saliva, but I don't know if these methods will work, especially cause the gum I've been using has Xylitol and that doesn't work.

So, has anyone found a really good way to significantly reduce cotton mouth while smoking/imbibing weed that DOESN'T involve drinking shit loads of water?

I'd rather not never been able to smoke at night again...

I prefer unsweetened cough drops but still gotta have my water bottle at hand.
Some like gum.
Others tic-tacs.
Altoids etc

i have the same issues you have i prefer evening to late night vaping and end up cotton mouth too and already have an unquenchable thirst , need answers lol

I guess it's hard to say if it has more to do with the anandamide that weed produces or the actual heat of the smoke or vapor? Which of the two do you think is the bigger factor for causing excessive thirst and cotton mouth and burning of the throat at times?

I personally feel like it probably is 70% the heat of the smoke/vapor and only like 30% that weed by nature has anandamide which causes cotton mouth because I have noticed that if I either keep my vaporizer on the lowest temperatures or smoke out of a really cold bong with some menthol in the water that the problem isn't nearly so bad.

I think I'm just gonna start putting menthol solution in everything I smoke whether it's a bong or bowl, maybe even a tiny bit in my vaporizer, and I know from past experience that should make a difference, but whether or not it will be enough remains to be seen.

You could try chewing a preparation of areca (betel) nut. Something like paan masala (one popular brand is paan parag) .

Areca nut contains arecoline which is an acetylcholine receptor agonist and causes salivation.

There are also prescription acetylcholine receptor agonists.

You could try chewing a preparation of areca (betel) nut. Something like paan masala (one popular brand is paan parag) .

Areca nut contains arecoline which is an acetylcholine receptor agonist and causes salivation.

That's kind of interesting. I've never tried betel nut. Does it have any negative interactions with Prozac or Klonopin? Cause I take those. And how strong a stimulant is it? Cause if we're talking about me smoking at night here then I want to be able to fall asleep. And how addictive is it? How often roughly can someone use it without getting addicted? Cause I don't really want another addiction.

Not so sure I could get a doctor to prescribe me acetylcholine receptor agonists for cotton mouth though lol.

That's kind of interesting. I've never tried betel nut. Does it have any negative interactions with Prozac or Klonopin? Cause I take those. And how strong a stimulant is it? Cause if we're talking about me smoking at night here then I want to be able to fall asleep. And how addictive is it? How often roughly can someone use it without getting addicted? Cause I don't really want another addiction.

Not so sure I could get a doctor to prescribe me acetylcholine receptor agonists for cotton mouth though lol
I'm not aware of any significant drug interactions with it. I guess it's probably about as addictive as chewing tobacco.

I've only ever done it rarely so I've never been addicted to it, but in countries where it's popular addiction and the resultant tooth loss and various cancers that go with it are common.

I'm not aware of any significant drug interactions with it. I guess it's probably about as addictive as chewing tobacco.

I've only ever done it rarely so I've never been addicted to it, but in countries where it's popular addiction and the resultant tooth loss and various cancers that go with it are common.
Hmmm, well, I don't want cancer or tooth loss, so that sounds like something that could only be an occasional solution and not a regular one.

betel nut can be strong stuff, I got quite groggy after using a bit more than a nut...
I like it tho, but normally you get nuts that are hard as a rock so it's too much of a hassle preparing them...
and calcium hydroxyde is shit for the mouth

Red eyes, thick saliva... That was a long while ago before the Syqe made me curious about dosing which i've eventually based on the "quantification" of energy in a "slingshot" scenario. maybe you'll find you're own prefered solution, somewhere, someday.

In the meantime keep in mind most devices are frozen in thermostatic slow/steady land, e.g. with NO water from the "fumet"...

Biotene mouth wash. I personally get way worse cotton mouth from smoking it than any other methods such as dabs, edibles, vaping the flower. I get dry mouth, but when I take a fat bong rip, my mouth becomes a straight up desert. Water doesn't do anything whatsoever in that state, but it can help me when I don't smoke, just not that much. In fact water if I've smoked too much can actually make it worse in a way, or I perceive it as such because it's so dry and the water did absolutely nothing.

Otherwise, milk is better than water for helping bad dry mouth in general. I have a nightly chamomile tea with almond milk with my sesh and I basically never notice dry mouth anymore.

My cousin and I use to go to the corner Indian grocery store in the East Village in NYC near 1st street. We actually met a Paanwala (spelling??) who would build us a betel leaf with the betel nut and other spices right in front of us. It was delicious and effective. I for sure felt the nicotine along with a slight cocaine effect while we walked around the village. Use be a regular visit. It does make your mouth water. So I can see that being a remedy for cotton mouth.

Completey OT. We really need some successful Khat sources in the US. I understand that can make your mouth water Plus a natural cathinone seems way more interesting to me than some of the supped up synthetics. OI am not a speed/stimulant guy but would for sure indulge in Khat to experiment.

Red eyes, thick saliva... That was a long while ago before the Syqe made me curious about dosing which i've eventually based on the "quantification" of energy in a "slingshot" scenario. maybe you'll find you're own prefered solution, somewhere, someday.

In the meantime keep in mind most devices are frozen in thermostatic slow/steady land, e.g. with NO water from the "fumet"...
I'm sorry, but i have no idea what you are talking about here.

Biotene mouth wash. I personally get way worse cotton mouth from smoking it than any other methods such as dabs, edibles, vaping the flower. I get dry mouth, but when I take a fat bong rip, my mouth becomes a straight up desert. Water doesn't do anything whatsoever in that state, but it can help me when I don't smoke, just not that much. In fact water if I've smoked too much can actually make it worse in a way, or I perceive it as such because it's so dry and the water did absolutely nothing.

Otherwise, milk is better than water for helping bad dry mouth in general. I have a nightly chamomile tea with almond milk with my sesh and I basically never notice dry mouth anymore.
Thanks. Actually I just got Biotene mouth wash in the mail today, but I haven't used it yet. So is it mostly the mouth wash that helps prevent it for you or the milk or chamomile do you think?

Also, as far as that desire to drink water (which doesn't always help), like I asked before, do you think it's more to do with the heat produced by the smoke or vapor or the anandamide that all weed products produce?

Personally, I think it has more to do with the heat than the anandamide as it's not nearly so bad when I vape on low temperatures, use menthol solution in my bong and almost non-existent when I eat edibles. So then, if I can figure out the best ways to cool the smoke/vapor that should do a lot. I had forgotten how well menthol worked in bongwater, so now I think I'll try it in my bowls too, either on a little bud or in the bowl head itself. Hell, I guess I could probably even put it in the weed in my vaporizer. Do you think if you tried that that it would personally make you went to drink less water and get less cotton mouth?

My cousin and I use to go to the corner Indian grocery store in the East Village in NYC near 1st street. We actually met a Paanwala (spelling??) who would build us a betel leaf with the betel nut and other spices right in front of us. It was delicious and effective. I for sure felt the nicotine along with a slight cocaine effect while we walked around the village. Use be a regular visit. It does make your mouth water. So I can see that being a remedy for cotton mouth.

Completey OT. We really need some successful Khat sources in the US. I understand that can make your mouth water Plus a natural cathinone seems way more interesting to me than some of the supped up synthetics. OI am not a speed/stimulant guy but would for sure indulge in Khat to experiment.
I've always wanted to try Khat, but it seems almost non-existent in the US and many parts of the world, unless I'm mistaken.

I've always wanted to try Khat, but it seems almost non-existent in the US and many parts of the world, unless I'm mistaken.
Doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to grow so I am surprised it’s not even a little more popular here. It’s illegal, but not enforced too much at all. And if all natural substances are on the way to becoming legal, someone should pick this up and run with it. But there’s not even a lot of posts of experience.