L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Relationship - Pessimist vs. Positivity

RedRum OG

Bluelighter
My gf and I have been together about a year now. I am turning 23 soon and she is 20. She is relentlessly self pitying and negative... No matter how hard I try to show her that for every negative way to look at something, there is a positive way to look at something; that seeing things negatively is no more "real" or "true" than seeing things positively, it's just a matter of opinion. I have seen my share of dark days, I have been addicted on and off to IV heroin and methadone (and some benzo addiction too) for 5 years. She grew up in a really dysfunctional family, with people constantly leaving, parent swapping, step-dad's and step-mom's coming in and out constantly. I realize what this does to a person, after spending so many months and years in rehab you understand what a dysfunctional childhood does to a person.

I have tried everything, just shutting up and listening, agreeing how bad things suck "oh you poor baby"... doing nothing at all, just trying to ride it out... talking things out therapist style... being super affectionate and loving, doing fun things.... countering every negative with 2 positives... you name it, i've tried it. She refuses to stop her pity party. She looks for the smallest excuse to get upset. Seriously every day I step in the door from work within 30 seconds I either am: too energetic, too tired, too boring, or I failed to notice 2 loads of laundry she did. And after that we might spend all night snowballing into sadness. I try to distance myself, pull myself closer, give it time... Nothing works.

It sucks because we are so similar in many ways. And part of the reason this is so frustrating is because I used to act in a similar way. Help me SLR. please. It is impossible to stay sober like this. Though by some miracle I have 'only' been smoking weed.

There is a lot of good in this relationship too. Like I said we are very similar and are on close paths to similar futures. She means a lot to me and honestly leaving isn't really an option for many reasons. Let's fix this, not ditch it. In some ways I am way closer to her than any other relatinshops I've been in.

Last edited:
Yikes. I had a bf like this. And boy it was hard, even with myself taking a methadone or a percoset or weed. I broke up with him. He has SAME background you have explained. I just come to realize, it isn't my problem. you cannot fix a person. If this is straining your soberness and happiness, you might just need to leave. I mean, can you see yourself in this same position in 5 years? I mean what would that do to you....she has stuff she needs to figure out. Maybe she needs to be alone to work on herself. Maybe you would both actually be better apart. What made me leave was that question, could I do this for another 5 years...no. lol. Just to much. I know it sucks. And I know, you'll be another person to leave..but you aren't her mom or her dad or her brother...you know...your your own person and you need to be happy as well...

Yeah I don't want to just give up. I'm pretty stable... haven't done hard drugs in like 1.5 years. No real 'close calls' or intense cravings. She is so amazing when she is happy. And she is only really happy when she forgets to control her emotions. So this isn't one of those situations where I want to change her, and won't like her till she changes. No, I see the real her. Rarely. And it is a treat when it comes out, like we occasionally do shrooms together and it works wonders on our relationship. However the effect only lasts a few days, and then we are back to square one. She realizes what she should be doing she just gets caught up in the minute to minute emotional roller coaster of magnifying ever little incident or thought around her.

Thanks for the advice and quick replies. More input anybody?

You're probably just seeing things through different lenses. As a recovered/recovering IV drug user, you may have learned to steep yourself in positivity as a means of conquering your drug problem. This is a practice that requires a lot of focus and intent to adopt. You can't really expect to simply 'explain' positivity to her and turn her toward the light. I think that's something she'll have to discover for herself. Having you around to set a positive example could be helpful, but I doubt she's going to suddenly have an epiphany one day and start seeing things your way. Give her some time if you love her and if it feels like she's starting to drag you down then let her go. Who knows, setting her free may be the nudge it takes to put things into perspective (don't bank on it).

You can't really change who a person is.

You might be able to work on some boundaries and shit like that but that is about it.

I try to make the best out of whatever situation I am in. I really try not to have negative people in my life.

Often times if you get involved with someone who is mentally unstable or just does not see things the way you do it will make you uncomfortable. Personally I don't want to be somone's emotional support system.

Realistically I think if you can't be happy on your own, you can't be happy in a relationship. Usually by the time you have to ask for advice this big, your relationship is fucked. It is not really anyone's fault but personally it sounds fucking miserable.

Do what you want, but I guess if anything just try to lead by example and get your shit together and keep it together and see is she comes around. People sometimes are just not ready to change. Self pity is a fucked up thing to indulge in and well it is easy to do but still fucking stupid. You can't change the past and some things are just beyond your control.

So I think either she will change or you will keep on trying to change her. If your sobriety from hard drugs is at stake ask yourself "Is this worth it?" It is a rather simple question I ask myself all the time when making decisions.

Just try to look at the whole thing from and outside perspective like if it wasn't you, if you were looking back on things or if this is something you would have wanted before you got into it.

You might be able to work on some boundaries and shit like that but that is about it.

I try to make the best out of whatever situation I am in. I really try not to have negative people in my life.

Often times if you get involved with someone who is mentally unstable or just does not see things the way you do it will make you uncomfortable. Personally I don't want to be somone's emotional support system.

Realistically I think if you can't be happy on your own, you can't be happy in a relationship. Usually by the time you have to ask for advice this big, your relationship is fucked. It is not really anyone's fault but personally it sounds fucking miserable.

Do what you want, but I guess if anything just try to lead by example and get your shit together and keep it together and see is she comes around. People sometimes are just not ready to change. Self pity is a fucked up thing to indulge in and well it is easy to do but still fucking stupid. You can't change the past and some things are just beyond your control.

So I think either she will change or you will keep on trying to change her. If your sobriety from hard drugs is at stake ask yourself "Is this worth it?" It is a rather simple question I ask myself all the time when making decisions.

Just try to look at the whole thing from and outside perspective like if it wasn't you, if you were looking back on things or if this is something you would have wanted before you got into it.

this

she sounds depressed but also like she has wonky thinking patterns/sulky

you gotta look after you in life. she needs to grow up from the childhood dissapointment and move on.

sounds very depressed but a depressive for me would only be handleable in a relationship if they were trying to lift themselves out of it

wallowing in self pity is a form of mental masturbation. its shallow and selfish and kind of imature

Last edited:

Exactly. You can't change someone's view on life.

I'm incredibly positive as well. When my partner gets moody and everything, it can really bug me. Thank goodness he isn't like that all the time. I could not be in a relationship with someone negative and whatnot all the time.