• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Relapsed -- Now What?

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I was off oxy for 29 days after a 16 month habit (60 mg a day). Foolishly, I thought I could *treat* myself to a one-off ... however, it didn't just become a one-off. So, I've been taking oxy daily for about 18 days now. My question is this: Since my relapse period of use is ONLY 18 days, does that mean the withdrawals will be easier than when I got off them after 16 months? Will there even be withdrawals after such a short period of daily usage?

Thanks for all those who are willing to give me advice.

Hi there. I am on quite the same boat as you.

I used oxycodone for pain and recreationally for years and largest dose was 160mgs per day for pain and I had to take 250mgs to nod.

Tapered down this spring and everything went well but relapsed for about a month and now I am maintenancing myself with oxycodone (dr prescribed for that purpose) and start opiate replacement therapy next week.

I tried to do a small taper two times but went back to my habits.

Withdrawals were milder than what they were when I run out of drugs while using atleast 160mg daily.

I decided to go opiate replacement therapy route as I still have pain and thus need painkillers daily and I know I can't handle oxycodone or similar full agonists without going back to my habits.

On spring I found outnthe reasons for stopping recreational use and I suggest that you'll think why you want to stop and find a network of professionals and close ones to help you stay sober.

Ask freely if you have any other questions. We are here to help you mate.

Thanks for your input, MrRoot. The thing is just that my opiate use, and past (and maybe still present?) opiate addiction was kept a secret from everyone I know. Anyhow, i will find out over the weekend whether withdrawals symptoms come back. And if they do, I hope they are less intense than my previous opiate-quitting experience.

I know that keeping it a secret is hard burden on your shoulders and it might affect others too. People who know you well and have known for years have noticed quite propably that something is going on. It might be a relief for both if you confess your addiction to someone close to you. Atleast that happened to me.

Plenty of people had wondered what had happened to me as I had changed a lot from my old self and were relieved to know that it was something that could be reversed.

It might help you from relapsing or atleast help from things getting too deep again. It is a tough decision but you should consider that too.

Whatever you decide we'll be here for support.

Do you have access to any comfort drugs and are you familiar from prior quitting how they work for you? If not we'll be glad to help with those questions.

I was off oxy for 29 days after a 16 month habit (60 mg a day). Foolishly, I thought I could *treat* myself to a one-off ... however, it didn't just become a one-off. So, I've been taking oxy daily for about 18 days now. My question is this: Since my relapse period of use is ONLY 18 days, does that mean the withdrawals will be easier than when I got off them after 16 months? Will there even be withdrawals after such a short period of daily usage?

Thanks for all those who are willing to give me advice.

How much OXYCODONE were you taking for the 18 day period? 60mg/day is a kind of light habit. I wouldn't think the withdrawal from stopping that amount would be too horrible. Some non-narcotic comfort meds like MrRoot mentioned , may be a good option. Like NEURONTIN/GABAPENTIN and CATAPRES/CLONODINE will prolly be great help in getting you thru any withdrawal symptoms that you may experience.