R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Reinitiating contact with a friend I cut off

rollsolo

Bluelighter
Hey all,

So as the title clearly states. I've been thinking of contacting an old friend of mine of 6 or so years that I used to talk to and hangout pretty often with. It wasn't until last year I began to develop feelings for her as my perspective changes on our relationship as friends. I wrote a thread about this last year and what happened was that I ended up cutting her off in order to maintain my sanity. She couldn't reciprocate a sexual and emotional relationship and I decided to not speak with here there after. It's been a year now and I've been tossing the idea of reaching out to her due to how I feel now.

How do I feel now? Well a bit guilty because not only did I loose a good friend but I was selfish in that I was only concerned about my feelings and not hers. (she got a divorce and may have been a bit crazy in the head about it). Since this happened we've maintained our friendship through Instagram and Facebook. We used to ride bikes heavily together and that was one thing that we enjoyed along with other things like music, walks and the like. I liked her new bike photo on her Instagram last month and she liked my photo the other day of my Yoga pose that she saw on my Facebook.

Long story short I was thinking of reaching out in several was but don't know which is best to my benefit. Facebook Message, Text, Call, Email (Not sure I have her email). I was going to say something along these lines but can always use some input...

It may have seemed like I've disappeared but I didn't mean for it. But looking back, it bothered me that I couldn't be with you the way I wanted. I can say for sure that I was selfish and didn't take much of your feelings into consideration. Anyways if you understand my perspective maybe we can hang out sometime soon. Because I do value your friendship. Hope all is well.

Not sure if this is the proper way to go about this or just leave it to bury. It's been over my head lately and my guts telling me I should reach back for closure.

honestly, if you still talk with her over Facebook, I'd just apologize for being weird and not hanging out with her (maybe tell her the truth as why you did it? If you're comfortable with that.)

And then invite her for a bike ride like you used to do.

It may have seemed like I've disappeared but I didn't mean for it. But looking back, it bothered me that I couldn't be with you the way I wanted. I can say for sure that I was selfish and didn't take much of your feelings into consideration. Anyways if you understand my perspective maybe we can hang out sometime soon. Because I do value your friendship. Hope all is well.

Not sure if this is the proper way to go about this or just leave it to bury. It's been over my head lately and my guts telling me I should reach back for closure.

That is a bit too serious to make first contact after a break and digs up old negative emotions for the pair of you. As you really didn't fall out with each other just gave yourself a bit of space to get things sorted out - just drop her a friendly contact message telling her your planning a bike ride and would love her to join you as your missing your old friend.

Depending on what your relationship is like with her - you could always add 'and I promise Ill not fall for you again'..Or at least Ill try not to'

That is a bit too serious to make first contact after a break and digs up old negative emotions for the pair of you. As you really didn't fall out with each other just gave yourself a bit of space to get things sorted out - just drop her a friendly contact message telling her your planning a bike ride and would love her to join you as your missing your old friend.

Depending on what your relationship is like with her - you could always add 'and I promise Ill not fall for you again'..Or at least Ill try not to'

Right on thanks! My buddy thinks it's ridiculous that I reach back out to her. He thinks by doing so I come off as bored, desperate and lonely. This is not true and all, in fact I live a very busy lifestyle and meet people often. However, I think it's ridiculous to cut contact for over 7 months just because someone doesn't feel the same way I did. It's also very immature of me to do this as we were great friends.

Who cares for the friendzone crap as I am past that and am not looking to hook up with her anymore. I think by ignoring her is making me very fragile in that my mental desperation is hanging over my head over this issue. Was thinking of messaging her via FB or Text, idk. Any help on this topic will be grateful.

Right on thanks! My buddy thinks it's ridiculous that I reach back out to her. He thinks by doing so I come off as bored, desperate and lonely. This is not true and all, in fact I live a very busy lifestyle and meet people often. However, I think it's ridiculous to cut contact for over 7 months just because someone doesn't feel the same way I did. It's also very immature of me to do this as we were great friends.

Who cares for the friendzone crap as I am past that and am not looking to hook up with her anymore. I think by ignoring her is making me very fragile in that my mental desperation is hanging over my head over this issue. Was thinking of messaging her via FB or Text, idk. Any help on this topic will be grateful.

It's not ridiculous at all - she was your friend that you cared for and got along with. Emotions got a bit mixed up along the way and you gave each other space to get your heads and hearts sorted out. You now understand that it was all just a big misunderstanding or you were looking for more out of the friendship that was available and your ready to have her in your life as a friend again.

How did you used to communicate with her the most in the past? If you used to txt her the most then txt her - don't overthink it, don't go into what had happened just a quick txt - what you upto, not spoke to you in ages would love to catch up, going out at the weekend on the bike if you fancy it etc. Gauge her reaction (she probably is missing you also) then take it from there.

I think it shows a level of maturity on your behalf to make the first move and get in touch with her, crazy losing a good friend over nothing.

did you just want to have sex with her? or did you fall head over heels in love with her?

if answer is B. i would personally avoid further contact, will just dig up all the painful memories of the past.

did you just want to have sex with her? or did you fall head over heels in love with her?

if answer is B. i would personally avoid further contact, will just dig up all the painful memories of the past.

I wanted to bang her more so than have a relationship. In fact I dreamt of banging her. I'm 30 and she is 41.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the woman who you had all those PAINFUL text exchanges with, only for her to rebuff your advances - right? You shouldn't text or message her anything, call her. Your messages come out rigid and awkward, and get convoluted fast.

Personally, from what you have said about her in the past, it sounds like she has a few screws loose.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the woman who you had all those PAINFUL text exchanges with, only for her to rebuff your advances - right? You shouldn't text or message her anything, call her. Your messages come out rigid and awkward, and get convoluted fast.

Personally, from what you have said about her in the past, it sounds like she has a few screws loose.

It is the same girl. What do you mean by a few screws loose?

Don't know about your specific situation but it can either go good or bad. Mine went bad and I realized I was right in leaving and should have left it at that. I say just forget it. People come and go it's only as big of a deal as you make it.

Don't know about your specific situation but it can either go good or bad. Mine went bad and I realized I was right in leaving and should have left it at that. I say just forget it. People come and go it's only as big of a deal as you make it.

I understand what your saying, I'm just trying to be rational and the man about the situation.

You made her sound a little unstable. The communication threads you posted between the two of you were excruciating. After all the brain damage you went through over her the last time, I'm not sure why you have any desire to rekindle the friendship...

You made her sound a little unstable. The communication threads you posted between the two of you were excruciating. After all the brain damage you went through over her the last time, I'm not sure why you have any desire to rekindle the friendship...

Because it's over my head that I cut her off and realizing now it was the wrong thing to do. It's like having a crush on say Taylor Swift and not listening to her anymore because she doesn't love me back. It's kinda creepy on my end to just disappear, especially since we are still FB friends and she likes my stuff along with following me on IG. besides the social media crap... I resented her a lot and she didn't want to end the friendship on my terms, I did.

the taylor swift analogy is really very bad. theres just no connection with it i can recognise.

i think its probably more creepy contacting her after 4 years of no contact than having cut off contact in the first place.

social media is a bit of a farce in the sense that you can feel a sense of closeness through 'likes' or seeing things other people are doing. but its all illusion really, theres nothing very real about it at all.

Has she made any indication - other than social media - that she wants to reconnect? The phone works both ways, she could just as easily reached out to you if she was disappointed by the ending of your friendship.

Kind of like how I told you not to pursue her and make it weird in the first place, I'm going to tell you not to come back now admitting that you made it weird and are now okay with being just friends.

the taylor swift analogy is really very bad. theres just no connection with it i can recognise.

i think its probably more creepy contacting her after 4 years of no contact than having cut off contact in the first place.

social media is a bit of a farce in the sense that you can feel a sense of closeness through 'likes' or seeing things other people are doing. but its all illusion really, theres nothing very real about it at all.

Yeah the example with Taylor Swift may have been bad. In terms of social media, yes! It is totally farce and I'm not basing my decision on whether or not I should contact her. It's just been months since I've cut contact with her and she started to like my FB post.

Has she made any indication - other than social media - that she wants to reconnect? The phone works both ways, she could just as easily reached out to you if she was disappointed by the ending of your friendship.

Kind of like how I told you not to pursue her and make it weird in the first place, I'm going to tell you not to come back now admitting that you made it weird and are now okay with being just friends.

Indeed, the phone does work both ways. I have no indication other than social media that tells me she'd like to rekindle. Yes I do remember when you told me not to pursue her. Sometimes your heart does different from what your mind tells it. I admit that I made it weird for the both of us creating this false affair and/or relationship in my head. I should have just kept her as my friend at the time. The problem now is that I feel a bit in over my head with this. And feel the need to reach out. However, I'm still a bit unsure how I should even go about this, sigh!

I guess at this point, throw it out there- say 'hey, how's it going?' - and leave it at that. Don't make it awkward, don't admit fault, just be friendly. Gauge her interest before you spill your guts. If she responds favorably, cross that bridge when you get to it.

I guess at this point, throw it out there- say 'hey, how's it going?' - and leave it at that. Don't make it awkward, don't admit fault, just be friendly. Gauge her interest before you spill your guts. If she responds favorably, cross that bridge when you get to it.

Right on thanks! Any other tips from anyone else on here? Has anyone tried to recontact old friends that they thought they'd end up with but cut them off instead?