• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Reindeer's eat fly agaric mushrooms, interesting.

Carlqua

Bluelighter
http://mydocumentarys.com/video/Y8M3MXRW4ONU/Magic-mushrooms-and-Reindeer-by-BBC-animals#

I find the relationship between animals and psychoactive substances far more fascinating than the relationships between humans and them.
But since a theory by Mckenna and others is that hallucinogenic mushrooms and other plants propelled them into intellectual evolution then that would suggest the same would happen with the reindeer.

But then again it say's that the shamans of this culture drank the urine of the reindeer and it was potently hallucinogenic, so this suggests the reindeer do not use the psychoactive substances with in them but pass them as waste right?

Siberian reindeer herders used to drink the reindeer's urine after they had consumed the mushrooms because the reindeer's metabolism converts the muscimol to ibotenic acid.

so this suggests the reindeer do not use the psychoactive substances with in them but pass them as waste right?
why not both?
But since a theory by Mckenna and others is that hallucinogenic mushrooms and other plants propelled them into intellectual evolution then that would suggest the same would happen with the reindeer.
i don't think reindeer will have the proper neurological equipment for maybe another several million years ;)

I'm pretty sure we have this somewhere. No matter: I'll merge it with the videos thread in a bit.

Ahahaha this is just coming up now? I've known that Caribou were the only animals known to intentionally eat psychedelic mushrooms, I figured that's how the story of Santa Claus and his Flying "reindeer" was made, because they're "flying" on mushrooms.

Meh Ive seen squirrels go running away with psilocybin mushrooms while laughing at me the evil bastards :p . So animals eating psychoactive's is really nothing new. Ive heard the Fly agaric eating reindeer thing even before the interwebs so how is this news?

well it's interesting enough to have a fresh thread about it.

wow it seems everyone's heard of it, well it's news to me bloody hell. and you sure you actually "saw" the squirrels?!