View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Regarding Psychedelics+Nitrous...

PerpetualAnhedonic

Bluelighter
Mainly interested in discussing the combination with LSD, but commentary on other psychs are absolutely welcome!
I know this topic has been covered a bit, but wanted to get a personal touch to the discussion and cover it with active members.

Little background: have extensive experience with LSD and moderate experience with nitrous. However, despite extensive experience with nearly all common (and a handful of less common) psychoactive substances, I somehow never have got around to experiencing the two in combination.

Nitrous happens to be very loosely regulated in my part of the woods; therefore, it is very widely commercially available. I know it's a fairly popular combo among the tripping community, and so am interested in trying one of these days.

*Is it really as profound as it's made out to be? Or maybe overrated?
*Is it a difficult or challenging experience? Or does the nitrous increase intensity while making the experience easier? From past reading, I know that nitrous acts upon a great many systems, including GABA (hence my question of trip ease).
*What exactly does the trip become? Seeing shit that's not there, any effects that can really be described?
*Does consuming nitrous during only a brief part of the experience affect the whole entire experience? As in, does it kinda hang around residually even after it's primary effects end (like cannabis seems to do- at least personally)?
*What about throwing cannabis into the mix (very extensive experience with cannabis that is ongoing, as well as extensive experience combining with LSD)?
*Maybe anything else anyone may wish to add?

Any tips, advice, anecdotes, opinions, facts, information- any at all, is absolutely welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you my friends.

-Perpetual Anhedonic

Ah yes, the legend of GASCID.

OP, I really advise you to take the time to read the trip report Volsam posted.
Apparently the combination of LSD and N2O can be so euphoric/"profound" that some people get addicted to it.

Which would be problematic because nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidant, which will oxidize (and thus destroy) your body's vitamin B12 stores. Which is bad, because your nervous system needs B12 to function. Now, obviously the risk for this is much higher if you do this stuff on a near-daily basis for weeks on end, but there have been cases where people were exhibiting the neurological effects of B12 deficiency after merely being given N2O anesthesia during surgery.

Luckily we now know that when symptoms start appearing, they are at least partially reversible by administering IV megadoses of the vitamin (note: don't try this at home), but still... I think we can safely say that oxidizing the shit out of your body to the point where you're exhibiting neuropathies is never a good idea, and that you should think about ensuring that your body is supplied with enough B12 to compensate for your nitrous use.

This came to mind immediately: https://erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=79725

Personally I rarely use dissos, nitrous including, so can't add much from experience. I'm sure people will chime in though! :)

That's actually quite funny you post that link because I actually read that last night shortly before posting this haha.

As much as I've enjoyed nitrous the times I've had it, I have never desired or thought about making it a regular thing, and seriously doubt I ever would change my mind on that. It's more of a novelty experience to me (no offense to those who take it seriously), and I'm not all that into inhalants anyway, just not really my thing. Plus, I know the dangers associated....yet I ask about using it while under the influence of one of the worst judgement/decision-making alterers there is.....hmm I have an interesting point I hadn't yet considered.

My last point makes me wonder....how many here have consumed dangerous substances while under influence of psychedelics? Seems like that would make a very interesting poll... Not sure whether such a representation would be good or bad for the general community though (not sure whether it would increase planning and decrease negative thoughts or if it'd be more likely to influence people towards more risky behavior). I mean, for example, a heroin addict must continue dosing to avoid terrible withdrawals while tripping....but are they really "daring" enough to iv while tripping?

-PA

Ah yes, the legend of GASCID.

OP, I really advise you to take the time to read the trip report Volsam posted.
Apparently the combination of LSD and N2O can be so euphoric/"profound" that some people get addicted to it.

Which would be problematic because nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidant, which will oxidize (and thus destroy) your body's vitamin B12 stores. Which is bad, because your nervous system needs B12 to function. Now, obviously the risk for this is much higher if you do this stuff on a near-daily basis for weeks on end, but there have been cases where people were exhibiting the neurological effects of B12 deficiency after merely being given N2O anesthesia during surgery.

Luckily we now know that when symptoms start appearing, they are at least partially reversible by administering IV megadoses of the vitamin (note: don't try this at home), but still... I think we can safely say that oxidizing the shit out of your body to the point where you're exhibiting neuropathies is never a good idea, and that you should think about ensuring that your body is supplied with enough B12 to compensate for your nitrous use.

Lol yep I've read that too. Some crazy shit.

There's this girl that I've tripped with a couple of times, she's only ever tripped with me (I've been known to be a "bad influence" lol), but I'm very reluctant to again. Not that I dislike her or think she shouldn't have a good time, it's plain worry, fear, and concern for her, her mind, her health and safety, and her freedom.
I know that some people are prone to being eaten up by the experience, the drug, to become obsessed or to lose their minds....and I have a bit of fear that she may be one of them...she doesn't exactly have the best history of mental stability (but then neither do I- so who am I to say she can't, she's an adult of consenting age and capable of making her own decisions- but I do have the knowledge and experience that she doesn't and I just don't know that she should....although I was quite proud to learn that she clearly did take my advice of researching before we tripped the last time), but what worries me most is just how into the experience she gets..
I mean, yeah, people tend to get pretty deeply into a psych experience, I know, so do I....but she seems to take it to an extreme- at least an extreme to my experience.
She becomes totally unaware and uncaring of her surroundings, blasts music at ungodly hours for everyone down the street to hear while being just totally lost in it,, speaks in relation to drugs or the trip at the same volume, zones so far out that she becomes unresponsive, even long points of time that she doesn't realize I'm speaking to her or trying to guide her because she is so fucking far out and totally immersed....and becomes sort of obsessed. She goes into it with a good thought of learning from the experience, personal reflection, all that good shit....but she seems to take it a bit far. This is someone I could see going the way of the Gascid traveler in the report.

I know that for me, personally, I can generally keep things fairly on the level. I know that psychs can hold incredible lessons....but I know that you typically must take it with a grain of salt, give these things more consideration (especially in another frame of mind- preferably a more sober one lol). You learn quite a few things from tripping.....but chances are, not many of those lessons/ideas are gonna be gold lol.

I also know that the brain and body need rest or risk burning out or causing various issues....that's true of psychs alone, so it's definitely true of this combination. And I do know the dangers of nitrous abuse, including B12 deficiency. Fortunately, I get plenty of B12 anyway haha..not that I think that makes me immune, just a relative point.

-PA