Regarding Law Enforcement on Bluelight

Lady Codone

Bluelighter
I know that sourcing and price discussion is not allowed here and that the mods do a great job of getting rid of posts that break the rules; however, I've also heard countless times that "the DEA" "law enforcement" and "cops" browse this site "all the time", but have never been given any proof of this.

My question is, how does anyone KNOW that law enforcement agents from any country/continent frequent Bluelight? Is it just something people assume, or can you give me a concrete example? If they do come to BL, do they just browse, or try and actively participate in conversations...and possibly set people up? Has anyone ever been successfully "busted" attempting to do something illegal on this site, or is it all a big rumor used to keep people from sourcing and soliciting? (Or just an innocent assumption, perhaps?) Finally, is there any way to tell a law enforcement agent from a regular poster, assuming that there are really any on the forum?

This is something I've wanted to know more about for a long time. I'm genuinely curious as to whether this happens and how anyone can know for certain that it DOES happen, because I hear it all the time from people stating it as a fact.

(If this isn't the appropriate forum for this question, I apologize. Please move to the appropriate forum or let me know and I can move it...Thanks!!)

I don't have any links to the specific thread, but I remember a few years ago someone on BL said they had something incriminating they posted on Bluelight (I think it was a photo) brought up against them during a trial. Maybe someone else remembers the incident I'm referring to?

Has anyone ever been successfully "busted" attempting to do something illegal on this site, or is it all a big rumor used to keep people from sourcing and soliciting?

The only time I know of anyone being busted "because" of Bluelight was when people advertised the location of a BL meetup on the forum. Law enforcement showed up at their hotel and arrests were made. This was long ago and is why we have rules against talking about meetup locations now.

Probably the most efficient way for LE to browse Bluelight would be to register as members. Thus JoeBlow, a friendly member who you've been talking to about innocuous things the last several months, could in reality be a DEA agent monitoring your posts and everyone else's.

That said, Joe is really putting his bust-time to poor use if he's monitoring this site for the big pop more than a couple hours a week (of course, he could be spending more time than that because he's actually come to enjoy it here), and of course Lady Codone and her fellow members never post info that could allow Joe or his cronies to make that big pop... ;)

^Of COURSE not! :)

I was really just more curious about this phenomenon than concerned about anything I might have said. Really not the paranoid type...I just wanted to get the final word on the whole issue so I won't internally question "is this real?" every time someone brings it up.

--Thanks for the responses!

From a similar thread:

It's your responsibility not to incriminate yourself - short answer. There are many sober Bluelighters, and Bluelighters who use only substances that are legal where they live for just this reason.

There is also the rule that neither dealing nor sourcing is allowed on Bluelight. Full stop.

Have members gotten in trouble because of what they wrote on Bluelight? Yes. I can think of occasions on which they have.

There are security measures (such as using proxies, etc.) that you can use - see the Science & Technology forum for some examples - to anonymize your activity on Bluelight or anywhere else on the Internet.

Being as public a source of information as Bluelight is, it's natural that we'll get the attention of law enforcement. Sensible law enforcement policy does not include entrapment of members of a website. So we recommend you use simple common sense in discussing activities of a potentially sensitive nature.

More on Bluelight's relationship with law enforcement here.

To address a couple more points, Lady Codone: I've never had a member admit to me that they were affiliated with law enforcement, so I can't directly answer your "how can you tell" question. I recall a couple police officers identifying themselves as such, but this being the Internet, who knows if it's for real?

I personally know someone who posted a photograph of something illegal on another drug forum and was asked about it later by police while being interrogated for a different, but related, crime.

As said before, BL is a public website and you should assume that anyone and everyone is reading your posts. Don't get stupid, don't get cocky, use your head. You don't need to go on the internet talking about how many pounds of crack you import from foreign countries to raise your internet reputation, regardless of if it really does or doesn't happen. I notice this on a lot of forums, people get caught up in a discussion and they tend to brag a bit, which leads to them saying things they shouldn't say.

Bottom line really is think before you post.

Look, trust me, it happens.

There have been a couple of dozen of media articles about BL, that I know about. There are probably many more. Do you think cops can't read?

I don't want to share specifics, but we have absolute proof about cops using this board. If you think about what things might constitute absolute proof (not suspicion), then you're probably on the right path.

A member of AussDD has openly said he works for the police.
Not with the police but for them, testing drugs or something. Il try and find a post.

I remember many years ago there was a bluelight meetup in south Florida in a hotel. The police raided said meetup because they were monitering site. law enforcement does watch this site. be careful

Have no doubt that some, probably several different LEOs, keep some tabs on the site. Seriously, this is free intelligence gathering from the comfort of home ... it's like Chicago cops picking off prostitutes from craigslist posts in the erotic services page.

On a slightly different topic, I was just a witness in a trial and the defense had posts that I had written in the lounge a while back. I've been sober for some time now, but he tried to use them to prove that I was a drug addict, therfore not a credible witness.

This is fuckin scary. Cant even type some shit online without every bit of info you say being monitored, analyzed and applied to situations. Nevermind that every thing I say here is being watched by law enforcement so they have this on me forever?

On a slightly different topic, I was just a witness in a trial and the defense had posts that I had written in the lounge a while back. I've been sober for some time now, but he tried to use them to prove that I was a drug addict, therfore not a credible witness.

That's quite scary, would you feel comfortable PM'ing me with more details?

what type of warrant does is required to get the records of someone's web history from their ISP? Can they otherwise tie a screen name to an actual person?

I'm guessing someone involved with the case knew both her screen name and her real-life identity, and that provided her defense counsel with the idea to use her posts and an easy way to find them.

^ How do you know that it wouldn't sway a simple-minded juror who took it literally?