• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

References for a resume'/ C.V.?

I didn't know places actually called references.
i think it depends on the nature of the position, and/or the organization.

i've had, perhaps, 6 or 7 career jobs in my time and every one of them called my references. in that environment, i've hired a handful of people and i called references every time.

in the ski school where i worked for 8 years, i hired around 50 full time and part time seasonal workers every season and we called references on all of them.

alasdair

Get some real references. You could probably track down at least one of the people you used to work with. Maybe a former teacher or professor. I've read that it's typically not a good idea to use friends as references. They're obviously going to say only good things about you, and people in charge of hiring want an honest opinion. Also, if you've ever volunteered, or been in some sort of organization (community theatre, music ensemble, a church, etc.), someone you met at any of those places would be a great character reference.

In my experience, references have been called, so honesty is ALWAYS the best policy. Shit could hit the fan.

Some organisations will want to verify your employment with the payroll department after speaking with your supervisor/manager.

I've read that it's typically not a good idea to use friends as references. They're obviously going to say only good things about you, and people in charge of hiring want an honest opinion.

Actually they want nothing but positives. Today's corporate society is all about bloated up assurance and confidunce. Don't trust advice columns, friends are probably great references.

^ in this thread another user called myfinalrest wrote:
Why don't you get some fucking pride and quit encouraging others to commit fraud on their Burger King applications...
odd that you'd have the same name yet completely contradict each other. are you two related?

alasdair

^^^ LOL :)

I think many people use their friends as referenced.
Many places do call references though. Just to confirm you're a decent person and you have worked for them and all that.
I've had my references called a few times.
I was one person's reference once and I was called.

^ in this thread another user called myfinalrest wrote:
odd that you'd have the same name yet completely contradict each other. are you two related?

alasdair

I was ummm being a bit sarcastic...but you never get it. never.

Hell, ask Jerry...fraud works. Look at what I posted on said thread about Senator Joe Munchin's daughter Heather Bresch. She was involved in a phony MBA scandal that cost at least 5 people a resignation from WVU! Guess what she does for a living...scrub toilets like she should? No, She's the CEO of Mylan Pharm. and what happened to Joe after being governor? He became U.S. Senator!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Bresch_M.B.A._controversy

P.S. As far as I know, you mostly can't use relatives as references. Go ahead and use your friends that are over 18 unless it says otherwise. They don't have to make up a big bunch of shit lies about who they are and how they know you.

Last edited:
I was ummm being a bit sarcastic...but you never get it. never.
communication is a two way street - maybe you're not very good at it?

i'l happily cop to my 50%. will you? or will you blame somebody else for it like usual?

see this:

dawsoncrying.png

that's you, that is.

alasdair

Hell, ask Jerry...fraud works.

The concepts of truth and honesty are prolly better left in the P&S subforum. Using a false reference to lie for you is fraud. The reference is making things up and saying things happened that never actually occurred. Omitting a college degree from a resume is not the same thing. You're comparing apples to broomsticks.

Do you honeslty list on your resume every single job you have ever had? The answer should be NO. There is not enough space on a resume for every job I've had, so I only list the relevant ones while omitting the others. Omitting a degree that is not relevant to the job is not fraud. It's smart if you are over qualified for the position and you really need to pay the bills.

It would depend on the wording of the application. If it says something explicit like "list education starting with post-secondary/college first" then it could be considered as falsification if not fraud for omitting it.

But anyway, it's more the idea of an intelligent person and excellent writer like you Jerry for taking some shit job because he knew he had no better opportunity that bothered me. What bothered me more was your, oh well...life's not fair attitude. Be careful with such complacency...they will make life less fair if they know they can get away with it.

I don't believe they contact references at all. Someone just sifts through resumes, may occasionally do more than one interview and just chooses someone because they "like them" - whatever that entails...

this is not true. source: i have interviewed for jobs and my references were contacted. sometimes they only ask for confirmation/dates of employment, sometimes they ask much more detailed questions. either way, i would advise anyone against taking your advice.

What's so crazy is that after this thread, I was called multiple times by various companies checking references. Lol! Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, victoria secret, and juicy couture--they all check. ;)

this is not true. source: i have interviewed for jobs and my references were contacted. sometimes they only ask for confirmation/dates of employment, sometimes they ask much more detailed questions. either way, i would advise anyone against taking your advice.
This is not true. Source: I have interviewed and taken jobs while none of my references were contacted. You don't even seem to understand what a reference is. They are calling your past employers obviously. You don't have to use past employers and supervisors as references. You can use anybody that knows you that is over 18 and not a relative. Either way, I'm not really trying to give advice but certainly, I wouldn't take advice from you.

^ are you serious. the fact that none of your references were contacted does not somehow prove that double ewe's references were not either. they were his references and he says they were contacted.

his references being contacted and yours not being contacted are hardly mutually exclusive. your logic is baffling (or perhaps your point is just stupid?)

further, some employers explicitly require former supervisors or managers as references (as well as or instead of personal references). sounds like you're the one who's not really sure, to be honest.

alasdair

^ are you serious.
I don't know...the question is: was he being serious?
further, some employers explicitly require former supervisors or managers as references (as well as or instead of personal references). sounds like you're the one who's not really sure, to be honest.

alasdair

In all the hundreds of apps I've filled out it has a seperate section for work history where you list supervisors and their numbers/contact info. Then, there is another seperate section for 3 personal/professional references.