• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Reduction in the tolerance of NMDA receptor antagonists

chymist

Greenlighter
I've been pondering for some time a means by which to reduce a user's tolerance to NMDA receptor antagonists. In my case, human ketamine is the relevant compound. As it stands, the substance no longer paralyses me or provides vivid experiences, albeit after a year of occasional use. At a high dose, blackout results and frighteningly enough, I'm free to move around whilst not in a capable mental state.

Compounds such as D-aspartate and the isomers of aspartic acid, being NMDA agonists, seem like promising candidates to take on a regular basis to perhaps re-regulate the receptors in question. I would however like a Bluelighter's thoughts on the subject, whatever you can contribute.

Thanks.

I don't think adding an nmda agonist will help. I'm not even sure if increasing dietary aspartate will have much of an effect on levels of aspartate in the brain. Also, receptor downregulation can occur from use of both agonists and antagonists, so you shouldn't expect to "re-regulate" the receptors that way. Taking a break for a while is your best bet for reducing tolerance.

Some people report success with piracetam, but a very very long period of abstinence is best (2-10 years)

Aniracetam may be more useful than piracetam also glycine agonists/GlyT-1 inhibitors may be of some use. If anything it wouldn't hurt to take these things even if they had no immediate effect on tolerance. Maybe you could cut 10 years of abstinence to 5.

Elevation of glycine and inhibition of the Glycine Transporter 1 has been shown to potentiate NMDA receptor functioning. Org 25935, a synthetic selective inhibitor of GlyT-1, has been shown to be useful in a number of applications, especially in counteracting the effects of Ketamine. Sarcosine (L-Methyl-Glycine), also a GlyT-1 inhibitor, has been proven to be quite effective in treating the negative symptoms of schizophrenia.

Compounds such as D-aspartate and the isomers of aspartic acid, being NMDA agonists, seem like promising candidates to take on a regular basis to perhaps re-regulate the receptors in question.

Those of these that cross the BBB are potent excito-toxins. This is not a good plan.

ebola