Op-Ed Reducing the harm in San Francisco's harm reduction program

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

Reducing the harm in San Francisco's harm reduction program​

Jonathan Hofer
The Hill
12 Jan 2022

“Leaving people untreated is murder.” That’s how celebrity doctor and addiction expert Drew Pinksy talks about homelessness in California. If you turn in any direction on a Bay Area street, you’ll see what Pinsky sees — a human tragedy compounded by substance abuse and mental health issues.

Over the last few decades, a new treatment approach called harm reduction has gained popularity. Harm reduction emphasizes education and mitigation strategies, especially for substance abuse. But when harm reduction programs falter because of their poor mix with other government programs or are undermined by their very practitioners, they can hinder recovery efforts at the peril of the clients and the public.

Read the full story here.

number 1 who has been treated at a hospital for under 200$ dollars.. that must be actual cost not patient billed cost. I challenge anyone to get treated at any hospital for anything and provide a bill for under 200$ in the us.

I think we should spring for 30k a month for abstinence based hotels based off free free 12 step programs? Or better yet why not year long stays. That will treat and prepare people for the real world.. I mean who doesn’t train in lala land best for the real deal?

Last edited:
number 1 who has been treated at a hospital for under 200$ dollars.. that must be actual cost not patient billed cost. I challenge anyone to get treated at any hospital for anything and provide a bill for under 200$ in the us.

I think we should spring for 30k a month for abstinence based hotels based off free free 12 step programs? Or better yet why not year long stays. That will treat and prepare people for the real world.. I mean who doesn’t train in lala land best for the real deal?
people will refuse it. they are completely institutionalized to street life after 10+ years of neglect. I really don't see a solution to this :(

people will refuse it. they are completely institutionalized to street life after 10+ years of neglect. I really don't see a solution to this :(
And refuse it they should. Exploring the “institutionalized” explanation of this why are they going to refuse it. What are the reasons… must be some things desirable about this lifestyle right?

And refuse it they should. Exploring the “institutionalized” explanation of this why are they going to refuse it. What are the reasons… must be some things desirable about this lifestyle right?
They have created an entire society / way of life over the decades of neglect since the 70's. A lot of it revolves around methamphetamine. If you're going to tell someone they can't come/go as they please/be super spun out, they are going to refuse. It would have to be nice as well. There are shelters here already, but the conditions are such that every person I have spoken to says they prefer the streets to the shelters. what I mean by "institutionalized" is they are so used to this way of life at this point/operating at the level of psychosis many of them do that I really struggle to see a way to integrate these folks back into normal society, especially since a lot want none of it.