• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Kratom Reducing Kratom side effects so it can be your daily medication

Mycophile

Bluelighter
So, nothing I've ever taken in my life works even CLOSE to as well as Kratom for my depression, anxiety, OCD, overthinking, and general bad moods. While it's hard to get the dosage just right, the stuff is a godsend when it works. However, I really don't like the withdrawals (they only last 3 days for me, but still) and I don't like the constipation either. There's also the fact that it lowers testosterone and that for me, personally, I can't sleep unless my last dose has worn off like AT LEAST 5-6 hours prior. I'm guessing not much can be done about that except for drugging myself to sleep, and I don't like to do that. Other than low-dose melatonin, most sleep drugs just make me feel like crap the next day.

Anyways, I would love to make Kratom my daily medication. I know from periods where I've used it regularly that pretty much EVERYTHING becomes easier for me. Sure, it masks problems, but at the same time, I tend to be so much less anxious and depressed that I'll take positive risks I wouldn't otherwise, the benefits of which then last when the drug wears off.

BUT...are there ways to avoid these negative side effects, and if so, what are they?

1) Withdrawal. This is the big one. You can decide to let yourself get dependent and deal with the WD when it happens, but I don't like that. Truth is, THERE ARE supposedly ways to prevent WD symptoms, namely Ultra Low Dose Naltrexone. Not enough people know that ULDN will actually POTENTIATE opioids SAFELY, unlike regular/high (50mg) or even low dose Naltrexone which will block it entirely and bring on horrible precipitated WDs if you take them with any opioid left in your system.

I have access to regular dose naltrexone, and I know you can make your own ULDN, but I'm worried I'd get it wrong and end up having to go to the hospital with precipitated WDs. For one, I've heard they can be REALLY bad, not sure if they can kill you. What happens if you get precipitated WD from a Kratom/naltrexone combo and DON'T get medical help? And, for the sake of argument, what is the treatment they give you at the hospital for precipitated WD? Is there any way a person could get whatever hospitals use for this and treat this condition themselves if, god forbid, it were to happen?

But I have heard that if you get the dosage right ULDN will not only completely get rid of WD symptoms (I think you just discontinue your kratom and keep taking your ULDN till your WD would be over) but can also POTENTIATE IT. But if you get it wrong it's very dangerous, and also, there is the very real problem of being black listed by doctors. If you end up in the hospital cause of precipitated WD from Kratom + naltrexone then you probably end up on some kind of list of "opioid abusers" and can't get opioids if you are ever injured (minus kratom, but it keeps me up at night so I would want to be able to get regular opioids) and that is something you NEVER want.

I MIGHT be able to get a doctor to prescribe ULDN, which would be great.

BUT...even if then you have to deal with constipation, and truth is, I have been chronically constipated lately even when NOT taking Kratom to the point that I have to go see a doctor. Kratom is just gonna make that worse. So, what do people who take Kratom or other opioids use for constipation so that they can still regularly take those drugs? Anyway

Also I want something that won't just make you have to shit at any random time during the day lol. Like, I will take dulcolax, and it works, but then you never know when you will have to run to the bathroom for those 12 hours give or take that it's in your system. That's kind of problematic for living life. I want a fix where I can just regularly shit every morning.

And for the lowered testosterone, what can be used to treat that SAFELY? I do have an interest in TRT, but I don't know if I'll ever get it. I have a tendency towards high cholesterol which is only low right now because I lost a lot of weight and am careful with my diet, but testosterone tends to raise it. I heard recently about "turkesterone." Does anyone know anything about turkesterone? Have you tried it? Does it have the same negative side effects as steroids and TRT? Does it even raise your testosterone at all?

So yeah, these are the issues at play for me if I want to make Kratom my anxiety/depression medication. I strongly believe from what I have heard that ULDN works to prevent WD and potentiate pretty much any opioids, but you have to do it just right. There are constipation fixes, but are they fixes where you won't be shitting at random times when you take it? And what ways do we have to counteract the lowered testosterone, or even possible other negative side effects of Kratom? Some people have even gotten hair loss, though I haven't.

I honestly think if I could even take Kratom once ever 3 days it would change my life, and if I could regularly take it I believe I could make my life do a 180 and actually be a happy person again.

I'm sure others have thought of this before, so any advice would be appreciated.

I dont have much experience with Kratom. I just recently started taking it to help taper myself off high dosed Loperamide for 10+years. In those years Ive never had a problem going to the bathroom once a day and since adding Kratom its been the same. I have Crohns so I figure im always going to take 2 tabs Loperamide a day or else the bathroom situation may get uncontrollable.

I currently take 2g at a time around 4-5 times a day. I dont know if the Kratom caused it but since the time I started taking it I have been having depressing negative thoughts about something that happened 20yrs ago, its like it keeps popping in my head and I start dwelling on it, crying about it sometimes. I started taking Kratom BEFORE I decided to stop taking Loperamide, its the depressing thoughts that triggered me to want to stop. I just asked my Dr. to get on Wellbutrin to help with the sadness, its not healthy.

As for test I have been taking it since was 18, almost 30yrs ago. Probably not the healthiest but it is what it is. Growing up with Crohns being a skinny kid doing steroids was a total transformation physically and mentally.

How much Kratom do you take?

I've been taking kratom daily (with a couple 2 to 3 week breaks) for 4+ years. I've stabilized at about 30 grams per day, taken in 4 to 5 doses 3 to 4 hours apart.

I don't know anything about naltrexone or turkesterone, so I can't answer any questions about those substances.

I never take kratom after 5pm, so I don't have any sleep issues with it.

I never experience constipation. I do drink a lot of coffee and a lot of water. I also eat fruits and vegetables every day and I eat mostly whole-wheat bread. I poop once a day, every day, almost always about 30mins after I get up in the morning.

I'm 64 years old, so my testosterone is probably low anyway. I have no idea if kratom has affected my test levels.

The couple of times I was off kratom, the WD symptoms were minor but annoying-- insomnia and mild headaches. No big deal.

Kratom affects everyone differently, but one rule always holds true: less is more. I make it a point to take the minimum effective dose, so I do not experience any undesirable side effects.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask any specific questions, and I'll answer them as best I can.

I drink a lot of water (love coffee too) … but i definitely try to stay hydrated when taking kratom because for me personally i feel like it dehydrates me. I actually just took a dose of kratom rite now lol & have a bottle of Gatorade, glass of water & a coffee rite here.