Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Reducing body load on classic psychedelics

Mude

Greenlighter
Hey!

This is my first thread, and I thought I'd make one about ways to reduce the body load on psychedelics in general.
I used the search, and couldn't find an existing one (only one in regards to Phenethylamines), so I hope it's okay to start this one.

To start off, I'd like to ask a few questions:
I've read online that Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) can work wonders for reducing body load. Does anyone know if other Antihistamines (such as Promethazine for example) will do exactly the same, without reducing the main psychedelic effects, and without causing too much sedation?
I know that Promethazine, in addition to being a H1-receptor antagonist (Histamine "blocker") also has slight antagonistic effects on some serotonin receptors, and the D2-receptor (dopamine receptor subtype). Could this significantly decrease the psychedelic effects? How safe is it to combine Antihistamines with psychedelics, assuming they don't have any other effects (like MAO inhibition)?

If anyone knows anything, or has had experiences with the combination of antihistamines and psychedelics, and would be willing to share these, I would really appreciate it! :)
Since this thread is supposed to be about the reduction of body loads in general, please feel free to add any info/experiences you may have.

I feel strangely self conscious about this first post, so I hope I haven't accidentally overlooked or disregarded any rules (I don't think I have, but it's quite late here, and I'm really tired). Apologies if I have!

Glad I finally signed up to Bluelight!
Cheers, everyone!:)

Yes promethazine has some moderate affinity for the psychedelically relevant 5-HT2A serotonergic receptor, it can block some of the psychedelic effects so I doubt that it is worth combatting side-effects with...

There shouldn't technically be anything the matter with using antihistamines on psychedelics but yes its the 'additional' effects some have that may still be problematic so don't generalize them but consider them each separately and their potential interaction.

I've only taken mild non-drowsy type anti-histamines with some drugs but I honestly forgot the point of why I did that. I think it was with psychedelics.

Zofran / ondansetron is commonly used to block some of the peripheral / GI effects of drugs, but it is mostly effective when it is known or safe to assume that 5HT3 agonism is the culprit of body problems. Yeah for drugs like 2C-E, I don't think it is really established that is a big factor for the body load but for more purge-y drugs like 2C-T-x or AMT or some of the other trypts it probably is.

I would use yogic exercizes including but not limited to dancing, martial arts and meditation to help with 2C-E type drugs as first like and yeah low dose antihistamine as second line defense. I don't think ginger / ginger tea or domperidone helped with 2C-E.

Thanks for the detailed answer!
I am specifically talking about 4-Aco-DMT.
Would you say that even a small dose of let's say 12.5 or even less Promethazine would have strong enough antagonistic effects on these serotonin receptors to reduce the effects? Unfortunately right now I don't have access to any other Antihistamines.
I sometimes find NMDA-receptor antagonists helpful in reducing the body load. They also seem to cancel out any anxiety. Although that defeats the point of a psychedelic trip. Because you don't want to be numbed, I suppose. But sometimes I find it hard to resist this combination. But it's probably not the safest of combinations, because substances like Ketamine, or Methoxphenidine for example are known for causing manic or psychotic states.

Btw, a friend of mine says that with PEA's like 2C-E, it helps to just go for a walk during the comeup. Apparently that reduces the body load.
I personally have never tried any Phenethylamines yet, so I can't comment on them personally.
I often find it quite hard to concentrate while under the influence of psychedelics. I am not particularly good at meditating unfortunately.. Thanks for the advice though! I definitely need more practice.

I am writing from my mobile btw, so please excuse the formatting. :)

Last edited:
I like to drink a beer while coming up on acid. It doesn't necessarily reduce the body load, or at least I'm not sure if it does, but its smoothes everything out very nicely and wears off by the peak so it won't affect your trip.

Edit: idk how this would go if you get bad nausea though, nausea isn't much of an issue for me and I'm fine with a beer or two. Oh and I also smoke weed while tripping, but usually not until after the peak. It intensifies the trip but gives an awesome body high imo.

^Lol

I too drink a beer or two for this purpose. Works for me, but I'm an alcoholic so a beer or two is really not much alcohol for my system. For some people it may change their trip significantly.

Last edited:
Cannabis and magnesium for me. While combining Cannabis with psychedelics is obviously not for everyone, it is just the ticket for some.

Also, water and snack foods for a long-running psychedelic like LSD.