• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Rectal methadone (pills)

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
So I've tried most of the drugs I've done rectally.

But never methadone pills. Methadone pills (different makes even) are pretty caustic feeling. They taste very acrid and burn when snorted. Seems like plugging them in am aqueous solution would burn or be unpleasant.

It does come on a little faster nasally...but not worth the burn. So I'm. Not expecting a great onset rectally either but just curious.

Any experience?

Last edited:
Never tried it but I believe the bioavailability is lower than oral

I used to get the pills and one got stuck in my throat and it was the worse taste. It may burn your butt-hole.

Never tried it but I believe the bioavailability is lower than oral
As is the case with oxy nasal vs. Oral. But I'm willing to get speed of onset sometimes.

Especially with methadone it has such a slow gradual onset. And that's just no fun.

Man I wish I had real oxy or dilauded connect these days.

You all know what I'm gonna say. I believe the Rectal route of administration is as good as it gets with Methadone. I can't smoke it, I'm not going to snort it and injecting it is a great way to destroy your veins. I believe the difference in bioavailability between oral and rectal is pretty negligible... like ~8% (and this is based off of pretty limited data). I never noticed the difference in potency at all. The onset and time to peak concentration is basically cut in half, from 3 hours Tmax to 1.5 hours Tmax and the difference is pretty noticeable. I've never had an issue with irritation or anything like that and I've done this with both Methadone solution as well as pills made into solution.

You all know what I'm gonna say. I believe the Rectal route of administration is as good as it gets with Methadone. I can't smoke it, I'm not going to snort it and injecting it is a great way to destroy your veins. I believe the difference in bioavailability between oral and rectal is pretty negligible... like ~8% (and this is based off of pretty limited data). I never noticed the difference in potency at all. The onset and time to peak concentration is basically cut in half, from 3 hours Tmax to 1.5 hours Tmax and the difference is pretty noticeable. I've never had an issue with irritation or anything like that and I've done this with both Methadone solution as well as pills made into solution.
You've got me about to try this Kief

The high from snorting the pills is noticeable better. I don't know why (it hits faster)....but it also just feels better when the opioid feeling hits. Can't really explain it.

But these are some of the worst pills I've ever snorted. Besides the burning they are very "dusty" and a lot of dust gets into the lungs amd hurts my lungs. Even putting them in water and "waterlining" up the nose seems to hurt my lungs. I can snort dilaided all day and not have these issues. Something about snorting methadone.

But damn the stuff stings. But then again mdma stings like a bitch when snorted and I never had a problem plugging that so it could just be misguided paranoia.

You've got me about to try this Kief

The high from snorting the pills is noticeable better. I don't know why (it hits faster)....but it also just feels better when the opioid feeling hits. Can't really explain it.

But these are some of the worst pills I've ever snorted. Besides the burning they are very "dusty" and a lot of dust gets into the lungs amd hurts my lungs. Even putting them in water and "waterlining" up the nose seems to hurt my lungs. I can snort dilaided all day and not have these issues. Something about snorting methadone.

But damn the stuff stings. But then again mdma stings like a bitch when snorted and I never had a problem plugging that so it could just be misguided paranoia.

So, I've never actually insufflated Methadone in any form, but I'm well aware of its reported caustic qualities. I can speak for the fact that as an oral medicine, it seems to have a particularly alkaline and unpleasant taste that really seems to be difficult to remedy. I find myself drinking an entire soda after drinking just a few ML's of the stuff and it still sticks to my tongue.

Anyhow, if you do the rectal route you won't ever consider using any other route. Obviously as a matter of convenience you might not be able to use the rectal route, but it is superior. Given that it hits twice as quickly, it makes a very significant difference in terms of the effects felt. I would describe it like this:

When you take Methadone regularly, the magic tends to disappear and the whole thing becomes pretty oedestrian. If I use my daily dose rectally, I wake up, have some coffee and watch the news and in those moments I get to enjoy a little couple hours (that's it) of good Opioid feelings. Followed by this, my daily dose has never not held me on the backside. In my experience, the difference i duration is negligible which is why I'm such a proponent of this ROA. It's safe, effective and pretty easy,

When I was prescribed methadone I used to take it sublingually, probably just because I like alternative drug intake routes, the effects were similar to oral but there was no burning or caustic sensation. Weird, might it be that they add some horrific fillers to avoid IV use?

So, I've never actually insufflated Methadone in any form, but I'm well aware of its reported caustic qualities. I can speak for the fact that as an oral medicine, it seems to have a particularly alkaline and unpleasant taste that really seems to be difficult to remedy. I find myself drinking an entire soda after drinking just a few ML's of the stuff and it still sticks to my tongue.

Anyhow, if you do the rectal route you won't ever consider using any other route. Obviously as a matter of convenience you might not be able to use the rectal route, but it is superior. Given that it hits twice as quickly, it makes a very significant difference in terms of the effects felt. I would describe it like this:

When you take Methadone regularly, the magic tends to disappear and the whole thing becomes pretty oedestrian. If I use my daily dose rectally, I wake up, have some coffee and watch the news and in those moments I get to enjoy a little couple hours (that's it) of good Opioid feelings. Followed by this, my daily dose has never not held me on the backside. In my experience, the difference i duration is negligible which is why I'm such a proponent of this ROA. It's safe, effective and pretty easy,
My only thing keeping me from doing it is that I have a bladder issue (ketamine cystitis) and the bladder neck shares a wall right with the inside of the Anusara.

Don't get me wrong I've taken diazepam and laxative suppositories with no problems...but just putting something potentially irritating up my bum right now (since it's been like 6 years since I've put a drug that wasn't meant for it up there like the suppositories.) Has got me paranoid from trying it.

Any tips to make oral absorb faster. I take with alkaline tums tablets and lots of water

You pretty much are doing everything you can. The antacids, I feel, play the biggest role in boosting absorption. There's also the obvious, take it on an empty stomach, otherwise I don't have any good suggestions.

I still havnt tried it. I've been nasally waterlining when the pain is really bad, I have a full stomach and I can't wait 4 hrs for relief.

Apparently the time for rectal should be cut in half. I can tell your for nasal waterlining a strong inset happens at 30 or 45 min. With oral i don't even get to thar level until about 3 or 4 hours

Rectal should cut the time in half vs oral according to this paper

I really wanna go rectal but again this drug it seems (or could it be pills fillers but not likely) burns and is caustic.

It's really bad for. My nose and throat and lungs I can tell. I think I really need to see if rectal works. But I'm scared of the burning and inflammation so close to my chronically inflamed and painful bladder which basicslly shares a bladder neck wall with the inside of my rectum.

I guess I will never truly know unless I try it. How far up should I blow out the solution in my rectum using a 1 mm syringe? I've always tried to deliver meds as deep into my ass as possible with other drugs but not sure if it necessary

As is the case with oxy nasal vs. Oral. But I'm willing to get speed of onset sometimes.

Especially with methadone it has such a slow gradual onset. And that's just no fun.

Man I wish I had real oxy or dilauded connect these days.

Ya, Oxycodone & Hydromorphone are hands down the best IR opioids

Methadone has great oral bioavailability, just take them normally. Becoming opioid tolerant blows big time. 15+ years of prescribed opioids, now Methadone 80mg

Oxy-IR 5mg tablets were so cute lol, super tiny and very little excipients in there, Dilaudid 2mg tablets …..take 4 plus Hydromorph Contin 9mg XR capsules…..wintertime cold, pain, a HOT tea to warm my hands and dissolve the tablets faster ……that feeling when onset starts to creep in…..that pleasurable warmth, pain melting away …..F@CK me silly…. Nothing comes close to a full mu-opioid agonist when you have real chronic pain

Methadone is amazing for real pain btw, also can be pleasurable in an oral speedball / Brompton Cocktail

…..but those beginning days of being opioid nieve with a NICE generous script of Oxycodone and Dilaudid were the most fun time of my entire drug use. Certainly made my chronic pain more tolerable.

Stupid question maybe but those of you using methadone rectally, are you simply squirting what you’d get in a take home bottle up your bum? If so, I’m interested in trying since I’ve been on so long it’d be nice to feel a little more of that ol’ opiate feeling without doing something stupid.

Stupid question maybe but those of you using methadone rectally, are you simply squirting what you’d get in a take home bottle up your bum? If so, I’m interested in trying since I’ve been on so long it’d be nice to feel a little more of that ol’ opiate feeling without doing something stupid.
I get pills I'm a chronic pain patient. I would imagine I would crush up in water like any other pill used rectally.

It's literally takes 3 to 4 hours to to get analgesia for menwhen I'm hurting and intake them orally