• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Recreational drugs while taking antidepressants

Stringer_Bell

Bluelighter
I know there are a few threads scattered about on this but I wanted to summarise my own experience with taking recreational drugs with antidepressants. I'm taking two tricyclics (clomipramine and nortripyline) and lamotrogine. I also take benzos occasionally for sleep.

These are the recreational drugs I have tried while on antidepressants (or to be more precise, drugs whether legal or illegal which I have attempted to use recreationally). I should also say that I have never taken any of these drugs before being on antidepressants so that makes any comparison impossible, but I can report my subjective effects.

1. Dextroamphetamine - Full effects. Euphoria, energy, focus. I honestly don't believe taking AD's diminishes the effects of Dex at all.

2. Cocaine (insufflated) - Tricky one. Got amazing euphoria the first time I tried it (bad coke prob cut with leva) and so-so effects the subsequent times (ironically, much better quality, lab-tested coke). I don't get great euphoria but I don't get a harsh comedown either (except for that first time). I do get depression the next few days if I take too much though. The only way I really enjoy coke is with opiates (oral oxycodone) but it's hard to tell whether the euphoria is down to the coke or the opiates. Probably the opiates. I honestly don't know whether the AD's I'm taking dampen the effects of coke, all I can say is I don't get great euphoria.

3. Opiates - (oxycodone, oral). Full effects. No way are the AD's diminishing the effects at all.

4. MDMA - so the other night I tried a quarter of a blue TESLA (supposed to contain around 200mg of MDMA). I tested the pill and it showed for MDMA on all four reagent tests I did (the EZ test kit with all tests). I started to get a come up (on just 1/4 a pill) and thought I was in for an amazing time. Then the good feeling went away suddenly. So I took another quarter. Nothing. Then I took the other half. Nothing. Then another half (so 1.5 pills in total by this point). Nothing. Then the final half. So two blue TESLAs for my first time ever rolling (or trying to) and it did next to nothing. Conclusion is that I just cannot roll on MDMA while on ADs. Two pills is, I understand, quite a massive dose for someone taking MDMA for the first time, and I was stone cold sober, except that first half hour.

I want to come off ADs (I've been wanting to anyway) and try Coke and MDMA again. I'll update this thread when I do, but will probably give it a good while before doing so because I'll have to taper off the AD's and then it will take a while for them to clear my system anyway.

Do my experiences above reflect what you guys would expect? I know some of the theory - e.g. SSRIs (i'm not taking an SSRI but imagine TCAs affect serotonin too, they just affect other neurotransmitter pathways in addition) block the receptors that MDMA binds to.

S

Edit: I'm aware of the dangers of mixing certain drugs with antidepressants (serotonin syndrome, etc) so don't really want to focus on that.

Last edited: