• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Recreational Drugs and Prozac?

Yeetdruggie

Bluelighter
Are there any recreational drugs that can be done while on Prozac with minimal harmful side effects? I wasn’t anticipating being put on Prozac otherwise I would have tripped one last time but now I can’t drink or trip for like a year or a bit longer than that :(

I know I can smoke weed or take edibles but honestly I don’t really fuck with weed like that, I only really do it with others but I otherwise have no incentive to.

Well no you can't take stimulants like Ecstasy, Meth, or Cocaine while ur on SSRI's its just too damn potentially dangerous! You'd probably get away with depressants like Opioids, Benzos, or Weed.

Well no you can't take stimulants like Ecstasy, Meth, or Cocaine while ur on SSRI's its just too damn potentially dangerous! You'd probably get away with depressants like Opioids, Benzos, or Weed.
Regarding SSRI's and stimulants,
Do you have any first hand experience that led you to that conclusion or can u share any sources that you heard that from? I've been unable to find any info concerning meth use while on Zoloft.

Regarding SSRI's and stimulants,
Do you have any first hand experience that led you to that conclusion or can u share any sources that you heard that from? I've been unable to find any info concerning meth use while on Zoloft.
It’s probably to do with the risk of serotonin syndrome. Here’s a link that might help.

Serotonin Syndrome is almost always a possibility. From my experience, it is a term that some doctors throw around a little too liberally. I had a seizure once and a doctor diagnosed me with acute serotonin syndrome and immediately tapered all medications

It is definitely a bad thing when it happens, but I dont think it is a phenomenon that occurs frequently in non-extreme cases.

It was my understanding that SSRI's were mostly known for blunting the effects of many of these drugs. The extent to which this blocking occurs seems to vary. However, you can still experience pretty much anything.

If I had to attach a number, I would say stimulants and psychedelic drugs felt 25% "less intense" subjectively when I was taking SSRI's consistently.

You do always need to be on guard for Serotonin Syndrome, as it can be deadly, but I wouldn't expect you to have to deal with this by using in a fairly responsible way.

It’s probably to do with the risk of serotonin syndrome. Here’s a link that might help.

Thanks for the link. Couple issues i have with it though. They only talk about Prozac in it as if it's different from other SSRIs. Is it?
Why single it out instead of just generalizing all of them? Other issue i have is that they didn't say what dosages the people were taking of either drug when citing those reactions and extreme cases.
There's so many variables involved case by case that it makes my head hurt.
I've been taking Zoloft the entire time since picking back up close to a year ago and I use daily, though probably 6 hours apart on average.

Yeah the main concern is serotonin syndrome because SSRI's inhibit the reuptake of serotonin and stims like MDMA, Meth, and Cocaine do as well in varying degrees. You can't mix different SSRI's or SNRI's together either as you'll risk SS.

In a nutshell you can't combine drugs that interact or bind to your serotonin receptors either directly or indirectly. The same applies to combining drugs that interact with your norepinephrine, noradrenaline, and dopamine receptors as well.

If you get serotonin syndrome you end up with way too much serotonin in your synaptic clefts (the gap between your neurons in which neurotransmitters travel across) for your monoamine oxidase enzymes to clean up/metabolize which leads to serotonin toxicity which causes neuron cell death.

Is that enough to deter you lol?

Last edited:
Evo I totally get where you're coming from and admire your caution, but I've been doing some reading. Serotonin Syndrome really seems to present in extreme cases, like 4 different psych. meds at once.

It really seems like a lot of the cases in which there are not extreme or obvious catalysts at play leave docs scratching their heads. I'm saying yes, the patient might be taking Fluoxetine (Prozac), but why, say, were they fine with it for 3 years before the episode? Nobody really had an answer?

Was it Serotonin Syndrome? Most often, they really do not know. They make the diagnosis based upon symptoms that could be from many different conditions.

I'm not saying it is completely safe, but I also dont think, say, taking Amphetamine while taking Fluoxetine is a life or death decision.

I'm not hostile to your opinion at all dude. I'm just being the Yin yo your Yang as it were.

"Fluoxetine deserves special attention as inhibitory effects on CYP-activity can persist for several weeks after fluoxetine discontinuation because of the long half-life of fluoxetine and its metabolite norfluoxetine" Which is a moderate inhibitor of CYP3A4.

Itself its a potent CYP2D6 inhibitor with a wicked haflife. But what that enzyme targets I leave to the experts.