• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Recreational Dosage of Remeron (Mirtazapine)?

ataraxy

Greenlighter
Some background information: I was prescribed Mirtazapine a few months back as an additive to my Seroquel, both to help me sleep. I took 15mg once just to get a feel for the drug, and then 2 weeks later, after not taking it again, took a recreational dose of 150mg. (I had read that Mirtazapine has hallucinogenic properties and wanted to try it out.) When I took 150mg, I felt mild drowsiness after about an hour and felt no other effects. Since I've been on a high dose of Seroquel for about 4 years, I'm very tolerant to it, which I feel might have caused me to become tolerant to depressants that have similar sedating properties as well (I'm not sure if this is possible, but that's just what I've noticed).

So my question is this: Is it safe to try a dosage of Mirtazapine higher than 150mg in order to feel the recreational effects of the drug, and if so how high would you recommend going given my previously mentioned tolerance to depressants? (I haven't taken Mirtazapine in over a month, so any tolerance I might have built up to that drug in particular has probably been diminished.)

Mirtazapine has zero reactional potential because like other antidepressants it works by causing small changes over time.

Manor receptors I believe are
5ht1a unlike mdma aka molly it is only a partial agonist instead of a releaser so it can not cause the warm fuzzy loved up feeling of mdma
5ht2 unlike classical hallucinogens this drug blocks this receptor the opposite of lsd which activates it
alpha adrenic 2a blocking aautorecepgors increases noradrenaline in the frontal part of your brain improving focus and complex thinking but unlike other drugs like amphetamine or cocaine that also increase noradrenaline this drug does not bind to dopamine recptors
Histamine - acute sedation however unlike benzos or opiates blocking this report does not cause euphoria.

There isn't one. It's definitely not a recreational drug. It's fairly effective as an anti-depressant, more effective for inducing sleep and more effective still for spurring the appetite of both human and cat alike. These are all great uses, but they don't make for a recreational drug and believe me, I understand that the how "fun" a drug is is a highly subjective issue.

I've heard a lot of people say it has absolutely no rec value, which is definitely believable, but then why do I see stories of people tripping balls on that drug alone? That just doesn't add up to me

Sounds awful, a regular dose gave me paralyzing and vivid nightmares.. would not recommend

I checked erowid and the common denominator is everyone who reported "tripping balls" where not using drugs stronger than marijuana. Also, all of there hallucinations I experience from drugs that arent hallucinogens at high doses. With the exception of hallucinogens the purpose of most drug use that determines its recreational value is its ability to cause euphoria. Yes taking any drug that effects the brain can cause blurrred vision, double vision, simple geometric shapes or pulsing dust off objects, confusion, muscle relaxation ect but mitrazapine has no known mechanism that would activate parts of your brain involved in euphoria or reinforcement.

That is way too much yo. I'm taking 45 mg and I think even that is too much. Mirtazapine in my opinion is not good as an antidepressant. Although it does make me happier, the truth is it is better known for its off-label use which is to make you fall asleep immediately. Don't be playing no games man. I honestly think you will put yourself to sleep forever if you took 150 mg. I would not play around with that shit.

they're good for sleep in doses under 7mgs, but that is literally it. no rec value, i don't see why anyone would attempt to abuse what is essentially an anti-depressant for fun?

I've heard a lot of people say it has absolutely no rec value, which is definitely believable, but then why do I see stories of people tripping balls on that drug alone? That just doesn't add up to me

Well, forgive me if I'm mistaken but I'm assuming you're not very experienced. "Tripping Balls" can be a terrible experience in the best of circumstances, like when using established psychedelics like LSD or Psilocibin. When you try to replicate this with drugs like antihistamines or antidepressants, you're asking for trouble.

I'm not a huge fan of remeron. For years I took it, and it took me years to realize that, yes, it helps my depression, but oddly it made my anxiety go through the roof when around other people verse not taking it at all. I noticed it gave me the shakes when walking, like when I tried to walk slow, my legs would want to walk fast and i couldn't stop It. So I did research on it and it turns out certain antidepressants can cause "reversible parkinsism" whether remeron is one of these meds or not, I feel its too risky to take for myself.

I take it. 30mg at night. Not great for sleep. Good for appetite. Absolutely terrible for recreation. Forget it. And please don't try a crazy high doses. This class of drugs are not meant to be abused.

Thanks guys. I have no idea why it doesn't have much of an effect on me for sleep or for appetite, so I don't think there's any point in taking it at all.

the only time ive heard about someone taking remeron for rec purposes is in jail, but when your locked up people will put anything up their nose remeron serequel, neither of which will give any worthwhile high. but people still pay for them on the inside. if your not locked up and you try to take these for fun, your wasting your time. drink a beer

I took this for years too. Never put me to sleep and made me lose quite a bit of weight but worked great for depression. If my experience was normal for most people, I think OP is gonna have some withdrawals from that dose pretty soon.

And oddly enough when I decided to quit, a friend wanted my left over pills. He tried it and got mild hallucinations but who knows what else he was on at the time. Guarantee he mixed it with another SSRI and he does a lot of drugs so for all I know he might've had some weird things in his system while taking it but he got ambien-like hallucinations.

I wouldn't recommend attempting that by upping the dose though. Probably just some people's brain chemistry or residual effects from other drugs mixed.

I don't know. I only take this for sleep. If it didn't do that, honestly, I wouldn't take it at all. It doesn't do well as an antidepressant, but the thing is I don't know because I haven't gone more than a day without it. On nights where I didn't take it, I guess I was alright. I just could not sleep though

Mirtazapine has zero reactional potential because like other antidepressants it works by causing small changes over time.

I find this completely wrong. I've been taken Amitriptyline recreationally for about 2 weeks now and it's amazing. The sense of well-being and euphoria I get from 30mg is amazing, although it's shortly lived because I've read a lot of stories on the internet about Tricyclic drugs being very dangerous for OD'ing on.

Since Amitriptyline is one of the strongest in the Tricyclic antidepressant groups, I usually get mild anxiety about 60 to 90 minutes after dosing because I feel heavily sedated and usually fall unconscious. Although you can get Amitriptyline in 10mg/25mg/50mg and even 100mg tablets. I believe 30mg is a relatively safe dose, and I always seem to have really WEIRD dreams where I can't decide if I'm dreaming or awake and sometimes wake up feeling like I'm still asleep.

All in all, if it wasn't for the knocking me out/making me in capable of focusing on one thing or even watching TV. I'd enjoy it more than opiates. Just the dreams alone are amazing, and waking up not knowing how to tell fantasy from reality is one of the strangest things I've encountered yet very pleasurable.

Last edited:
Interesting however I think mitrazapine is a tetracyclic and amitryptaline is a tricyclic antidepressant have some differences in binding one I think might play a role in your dreamy state being muscarine as vlocking it can indirectly influence dopamine and cause a dreamy like state which mitrazapine lacks

I agree both are different type of antidepressants, although. Many 'trip' reports say that Mirtazapine causes hallucinations at high doses and vivid and lucid dreams at lower doses, which I would say could be used recreational.

I even read on Erowid about some guy and 5 of his friends taking 10mg each of Mirtazapine each and each of them experienced hallucinations. Just have a read if anyone is interested.

https://erowid.org/experiences/subs/exp_Pharms_Mirtazapine.shtml

Im not sure these are really hallucinations like just about amy drug in hogh doses have most of those things double vision, glitter or smoke coming off objects, simple kaleidoscope shadows, muscle relax, sound and vision weird dreamy like. I think its more just altered like if you pushed anything in the brain.