• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Recovering from stimulants abuse?

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Have come to the conclusion that the years of intermittent stimulant abuse has done more to my brain and body than I've realized. Mostly was abusing my adderall script, sometimes ritalin, and on occasion ecstacy. Without the script anymore, I was hoping some of the damage is reversible as time goes on without stimulant---or if the damage is permanent. The most noteworthy effects of the abuse is probably from sleep depravation all in all. However, I am experiencing some issues with short term memory, focus issues, and what feels like a long lasting residual depression. I do practice good health other than the drugs, lol. Starting to accept that there's only so many times one can do over a hundred milligrams of adderall and repeating benders over night came at a price. I'm going to guess some of the damage is permanent. It started when I was 24. Now, I am entering my 30s. My use was typically 100-150 milligrams in a single sitting, then repeat hours and hours later > eventually call it quits and go without it for weeks until the refill. It was pretty bad looking back on it. Especially some parts. Very embarrassing being zombified at the wrong time and place.

Haven't tried it yet myself, but I have heard that gynostemma (jiaogulan) can be helpful.

It sounds like you're navigating a challenging journey, reflecting on past stimulant abuse and its impact on your health and well-being. Your awareness and acknowledgment of the situation is a crucial step toward recovery and healing. You mentioned experiencing issues such as short-term memory problems, focus issues, and a lingering feeling of depression, which are concerning but not uncommon in cases of past substance abuse. One important aspect to consider in your recovery journey is Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS).

PAWS refers to a set of persistent withdrawal symptoms that occur after the acute withdrawal phase of drugs or alcohol has ended. It can last for several months or even years after the cessation of substance use. While the acute withdrawal phase is more commonly recognized and understood, PAWS can be more elusive and challenging to manage because of its prolonged nature and the variety of symptoms it encompasses.

Symptoms of PAWS include, but are not limited to:
  • Cognitive issues, such as difficulties with memory, learning, and problem-solving
  • Emotional disturbances, including mood swings, anxiety, and depression
  • Sleep disturbances, including insomnia or disturbed sleep patterns
  • Physical issues, such as chronic pain or fatigue

Your experiences of short-term memory issues, focus problems, and residual depression align with symptoms often associated with PAWS. It's crucial to understand that while some of the neurological changes due to stimulant abuse can be long-lasting, the brain is also capable of remarkable recovery and plasticity. This means that over time, and with the right support and strategies, you can see significant improvements in your cognitive and emotional well-being.

Here are some strategies that may help in managing PAWS:
  1. Professional Support: Consider seeking help from a healthcare professional or therapist who specializes in addiction and recovery. They can offer personalized strategies and support for managing symptoms.
  2. Healthy Lifestyle: Continuing to practice good health habits, as you mentioned, is vital. A balanced diet, regular physical activity, and adequate sleep can significantly impact your recovery.
  3. Peer Support: Joining a support group with individuals who have experienced similar challenges can provide understanding, advice, and encouragement.
  4. Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques: Practices such as meditation, yoga, or deep-breathing exercises can help manage stress, anxiety, and emotional fluctuations.
  5. Cognitive Training: Engaging in activities that challenge and stimulate your brain can help improve cognitive functions over time.

It's encouraging to hear that you're committed to understanding the consequences of past actions and exploring ways to move forward. Recovery is a deeply personal and sometimes long journey, but with the right support and strategies, there's a path forward toward healing and improving your quality of life. Remember, it's okay to ask for help and to take it one step at a time.

Hope a personal story helps..
I'm 48F, and have been doing what you're taking about +10 for over 30 years. First, you're going to be ok, but it will take some time and lots of energy. I've heard brain exercises are a good workout, definitely join a gym or do the 2 week "guest" tour to all the ones in your area. Think about the next few months as giving back to your body what it's been robbed of.
Get your blood pumping. Get out the old and in with nice clean blood! Fluids, not only water, but electrolytes, replenish. Whole foods like fruits, veggies, nuts, whatever you enjoy. I have the "me X 5 diet", my creation. If I eat something from the store, like the deli or frozen, it's got to have less than 5 ingredients and no chemical preservatives.
I'm sorry if this reads militant and bossy, it's just things that have helped me. .. smiley face lol.
Something I've started doing recently, scavenger hunts. Write down random things you might find outside.
The hard part is one of 3 things to do with it. 1. Write it's life story. 2. Describe it to a blind person. 3. Make something out of it.
It's childish. Yes. It's fun. Yes. And it's helping with short term memory and vocabulary.

Edit; You should be proud of yourself for doing this; it's NOT easy, but you've got some good ol determination on your side.
The last poster is 100% spot on. Meetings really help, talking to other sober people is amaze

I was told in the mental hospital stimulant brain damage takes 2 years to completely reverse itself, for me personally I never was the same after all of my stimulant abusing, but not in terms of brain damage, just who I am as a person, I've changed for both better or worse, but some of the stimulant delusions still persist, and same with my ability to have panic attacks! emotionally I react to things differently which I think amphetamine induced brain damage is the culprit. You'll be a different person after you quit thats for sure. Does it get better though? Yep.

-Baphomet
:vampire: :vampire: :vampire:

It sounds like you're navigating a challenging journey, reflecting on past stimulant abuse and its impact on your health and well-being. Your awareness and acknowledgment of the situation is a crucial step toward recovery and healing. You mentioned experiencing issues such as short-term memory problems, focus issues, and a lingering feeling of depression, which are concerning but not uncommon in cases of past substance abuse. One important aspect to consider in your recovery journey is Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS).

PAWS refers to a set of persistent withdrawal symptoms that occur after the acute withdrawal phase of drugs or alcohol has ended. It can last for several months or even years after the cessation of substance use. While the acute withdrawal phase is more commonly recognized and understood, PAWS can be more elusive and challenging to manage because of its prolonged nature and the variety of symptoms it encompasses.

Symptoms of PAWS include, but are not limited to:
  • Cognitive issues, such as difficulties with memory, learning, and problem-solving
  • Emotional disturbances, including mood swings, anxiety, and depression
  • Sleep disturbances, including insomnia or disturbed sleep patterns
  • Physical issues, such as chronic pain or fatigue

Your experiences of short-term memory issues, focus problems, and residual depression align with symptoms often associated with PAWS. It's crucial to understand that while some of the neurological changes due to stimulant abuse can be long-lasting, the brain is also capable of remarkable recovery and plasticity. This means that over time, and with the right support and strategies, you can see significant improvements in your cognitive and emotional well-being.

Here are some strategies that may help in managing PAWS:
  1. Professional Support: Consider seeking help from a healthcare professional or therapist who specializes in addiction and recovery. They can offer personalized strategies and support for managing symptoms.
  2. Healthy Lifestyle: Continuing to practice good health habits, as you mentioned, is vital. A balanced diet, regular physical activity, and adequate sleep can significantly impact your recovery.
  3. Peer Support: Joining a support group with individuals who have experienced similar challenges can provide understanding, advice, and encouragement.
  4. Mindfulness and Relaxation Techniques: Practices such as meditation, yoga, or deep-breathing exercises can help manage stress, anxiety, and emotional fluctuations.
  5. Cognitive Training: Engaging in activities that challenge and stimulate your brain can help improve cognitive functions over time.

It's encouraging to hear that you're committed to understanding the consequences of past actions and exploring ways to move forward. Recovery is a deeply personal and sometimes long journey, but with the right support and strategies, there's a path forward toward healing and improving your quality of life. Remember, it's okay to ask for help and to take it one step at a time.

I totally agree. In the words of the bard, Meat Loaf, You took the words right out of my mouth.

I was told in the mental hospital stimulant brain damage takes 2 years to completely reverse itself, for me personally I never was the same after all of my stimulant abusing, but not in terms of brain damage, just who I am as a person, I've changed for both better or worse, but some of the stimulant delusions still persist, and same with my ability to have panic attacks! emotionally I react to things differently which I think amphetamine induced brain damage is the culprit. You'll be a different person after you quit thats for sure. Does it get better though? Yep.

-Baphomet
:vampire: :vampire: :vampire:

I definitely handle stress worse, which was hard to notice in comparison to years ago. Hoping that is temporary. In general, it started off at 20 milligrams for the entire day. Suddenly fast forward to years later, and 150 milligrams is almost the same effects as 20 mg once was. That's when I started to actually feel consequences.

I find adderall to cause unparalleled euphoria, until even a whopping dose that most people would suffer to take feels barely present. I've discovered that stimulant abuse can go on and onnnnn. I don't mind the paws too much, since they aren't as noticeable a lot of the time. I just am wondering if my dopamine system is perma damaged and may never recover. I cannot imagine methamphetamine addiction, because adderall alone over the years is not effortless to stop and recover from. Meth? That would be unbearable until the redose.

Last edited:
I have extensive history using prescription amphetamines, speed, meth, mdma, and especially cocaine. You'll bounce back and feel functional again but it may take between 3 months and 2 years to really get back to baseline. The 2 year timeline is moreso for hardcore daily meth use. Adderall ime is more of a 3-6 month situation. I'm roughly 9 months out from my last tango/slip with cocaine and I am feeling very good. I haven't touched mdma in a couple years and don't think I ever will again. It used to be weekly for me years ago. Really nowadays if I want to stay up it's low dose LSD.

I am currently satisfying my ADHD with caffeine and nicotine and don't really crave anything else. Being on strattera has been really helpful for my stimulant cravings as my mental health situation directly coincides with abuse of drugs. Be sure to work out, eat healthy, and read books. Gotta use it or lose it.

Have come to the conclusion that the years of intermittent stimulant abuse has done more to my brain and body than I've realized. Mostly was abusing my adderall script, sometimes ritalin, and on occasion ecstacy. Without the script anymore, I was hoping some of the damage is reversible as time goes on without stimulant---or if the damage is permanent. The most noteworthy effects of the abuse is probably from sleep depravation all in all. However, I am experiencing some issues with short term memory, focus issues, and what feels like a long lasting residual depression. I do practice good health other than the drugs, lol. Starting to accept that there's only so many times one can do over a hundred milligrams of adderall and repeating benders over night came at a price. I'm going to guess some of the damage is permanent. It started when I was 24. Now, I am entering my 30s. My use was typically 100-150 milligrams in a single sitting, then repeat hours and hours later > eventually call it quits and go without it for weeks until the refill. It was pretty bad looking back on it. Especially some parts. Very embarrassing being zombified at the wrong time and place.
Interested in my own life if the fact I binge so much at a time pretty spread out makes a difference or if I’m screwed either way lol.