• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Recommended drugs for chronic insomnia?

Don't take meds to sleep with a chronic sleeping problem. Tackle the problem instead. There has to be an underlying problem.
QFT.

I'd try Trazodone for a couple of months. Just 50mg half an hour before bed. It knocks you out and keeps you asleep but it's not good for long term use because it kinda dumbs you down over time. I'd say - give it 2 months, withdrawal is painless on 50mg, and you should see that your sleep pattern has returned to a healthy state. This worked for me, I'm proof that it worked out for at least one person...and it's not addictive. Also...little interesting side note: when you stop taking the trazodone, keep a couple of strips spare for the future because, if you need to kill a psychedelic trip, 100mg trazodone will kill it off and send you to sleep in a whizz! :)
Careful.... Trazodone gave me temporary Priapism.

Hello WOOF-DOG. First, I'm glad you are aware of the potential problems with using certain drugs for long-term insomnia that aren't meant to be. Pretty wise for someone your age. I would definitely not recommend any type of opioid for insomnia. It will needlessly raise your tolerance, and I for one find it extremely hard to sleep while taking any type of opioid.

I am RX'ed temazepam for my sleep issues, and I can tell you it does exactly what I needed it to. It works nearly perfectly. However, I only take it a couple of times a week, and only if I really need it. While something like this would undoubtably help you, it isn't a long term/everyday solution.

You could try certain TCAs like amitriptyline or nortriptyline. Depending on the person they could help out while being a long term solution.

There are plenty of drugs that can make you sleepy, such as antihistamines, muscle relaxers, barbs, benzos, etc. I would recommend talking to your doctor about taking amitriptyline or nortriptyline, and you could also take something like Benadryl and melatonin before bed. Those things seem to be to be your best long term options, with the least side effects and the most tailored options towards long term use.

Taking Benadryl or even anything for that matter everyday isn't ideal, but the things I listed I feel are your best bets. Of course, make sure your room is cool and dark. Don't go from bright lights immediately to trying to sleep, and don't view electronics before you go to bed. Also, getting on a strict sleep schedule should help as well.

Overall, I'd recommend talking to your doctor about amitriptyline or nortriptyline, and/or taking benadryl and melatonin before bed. Have a cool, very dark room. Go to bed at a set time each night. Don't eat, or watch bright screens right before bed. Get everything you have to do done earlier in the day so you aren't thinking about it in bed.

I hope this helps, and good luck man.

insomnia sucks... its 3am and i have to wake up at 7 so i feel you man... my suggestion would be to try to combat it as drug free as possible...

try to wake up early, stay busy during the day, don't eat large meals or drink caffeine close to sleep hours... you could try melatonin too as SixBuckets said which is essentially harmless and i don't think you even need a doctor prescribing you that. read up on it.

Melatonin is prescription only in Australia, over the counter in the US. I'm not sure about anywhere else. If you buy it in a shop, make sure you don't accidentally buy the homoeopathic version, because that is literally nothing.

Sleep hygiene is really important whether you take meds or not. No caffeine after four, don't use your bed for anything other than sleep or sex, no screens in bed, try to get into dim rooms an hour before bed, etc.

Don't take meds to sleep with a chronic sleeping problem. Tackle the problem instead. There has to be an underlying problem.

Sometimes the underlying problem is insomnia. Some people just don't sleep properly.

I agree with there being an underlying problem.

I took trazadone and had to up the dosage and drink ZZZ quill to try and sleep normal when I had serious stress in my life. When life was back to simple, or I accepted my problems, I took 50mg of trazadone per night with my suboxone script during the week, but on the weekend I didn't need trazadone to sleep 6 hours at least.

I also agree with the underlying problem, however, the underlying problem sometimes can't be stopped. I did everything for healthy sleep, I take 3mg of Klonopin throughout the day and about an hour before bed I take 25mg of Seroquel whick has been the only think that has helped me.

CANNABIS! It is the only thing that works for me. And I have tried nearly every medication prescribed for insomnia, altho I have tried every class except melatonergics.