• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Recent impurities found in MDMA

Kaden_Nite

Bluelight Crew
I've noticed a lot of threads lately complaining of MDMA quality. One possible solution offered, which would account for the sometimes 200mg+ pressed batches making the rounds, was the levo isomer being sold in place of typical racemic MDMA.

Looking through ecstasydata, I have noticed some close chemical relatives of MDMA, which seem to have little if any pharmacological profile to their name showing up as impurities in recent batches:

"MDMA methylene homolog" showing up in increasing ratios as an MDMA impurity, *possibly* from synthesis.
"MDA 2-aldoxime analogue" as a recent impurity in MDA, possibly from synthesis.
"Imino-triphenyl-phosphorane" suspiciously showing up as an impurity of MDMA and the piperazine TFMPP.

Another peculiarity is the recent RC 'MDPBP' being summarised by a certain vendor as being MDA under a new name. I highly doubt this.

If anybody has any information about these compounds, please share as they have zero safety profile and could be contributing to more than just a shitty MD experience.

~ Kaden

I've noticed a lot of threads lately complaining of MDMA quality. One possible solution offered, which would account for the sometimes 200mg+ pressed batches making the rounds, was the levo isomer being sold in place of typical racemic MDMA.

Looking through ecstasydata, I have noticed some close chemical relatives of MDMA, which seem to have little if any pharmacological profile to their name showing up as impurities in recent batches:

"MDMA methylene homolog" showing up in increasing ratios as an MDMA impurity, *possibly* from synthesis.
"MDA 2-aldoxime analogue" as a recent impurity in MDA, possibly from synthesis.
"Imino-triphenyl-phosphorane" suspiciously showing up as an impurity of MDMA and the piperazine TFMPP.

Another peculiarity is the recent RC 'MDPBP' being summarised by a certain vendor as being MDA under a new name. I highly doubt this.

If anybody has any information about these compounds, please share as they have zero safety profile and could be contributing to more than just a shitty MD experience.

~ Kaden

MDMA methylene homolog = methylenedioxy-dimethylamphetamine Shulgin synthesized it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylenedioxydimethylamphetamine -- could be this https://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/pihkal/pihkal105.shtml

MDPBP is a substituted cathinone -- been around since the 1960's it is scheduled in Poland

Well if Methylenedioxy-dimethylamphetamine is present it might indicate that the chemist used "home" synthesized methylamine, as dimethylamine can be a byproduct of the synthesis. And the other MDA 2-aldoxime analogue is likely caused as a byproduct during the Helional to MDA synthesis.

Kaden I think these are good to bring up as it shows that impurities can and do occur in some samples at rather significant levels.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't think isomers are the problem but instead the impurities found that likely cause the differences between one batch and the next. Each synthetic route has impurities that are unique to that one route and no others. And it seems whenever the main method used worldwide changes, the effects change as well.

The list of known active impurities is rather high, and the list of unknown activity impurities is monstrous.

-GC

@G_chem

So what method would you propose for purifying the contaminated MDMA besides different solubilities in different solvents?

I have a feeling these labs that do analysis are not testing for impurities or unexpected products. they have a gcms or lcms tests which basically tests for every drug of abuse or RC known to man, but do not look for unknown impurities.

this could be the reason why pills "tested to be only mdma" really contain other shit that is being ignored. wish there was an answer to exactly what type of testing is done

Interesting - do you have a source/further info? I've been thinking that the recent MDA crystals available, going by online reports, do not sound like MDA at all.

I got a screencap at the time. I think that they simply didn't know what they were talking about (which is probably why they went offline soon after). Unless someone actually took these claims seriously, I doubt that md-a-pbp would be going around as MDA. Have a read.

I read a lot reports of people taking what they believe is MDMA or MDA and based on their descriptions, I doubt that is what they actually had. Terms like 'Molly' and 'Sass' are the worst in my opinion.. always seem to be something else.

@Glubra- Sadly the only way I can think that would leave out these impurities is fractional vacuum distillation of the freebase..

But as we know that isn't very easy for the average home chemist to do. It's not too hard to do but its just having the equipment to do so. If a person is ingenious enough though it is possible to design and make a vacuum distillation setup, it must be sealed properly though as I'm pretty sure MDMA freebase needs a really strong vacuum compared to safrole or MD-P2P. No matter what though a vacuum is likely necessary and they aren't cheap, an aspirator likely won't work.

LucidSDreamer- I have a feeling your right on that. They are essentially looking for known actives along with the MDMA. And labs are far from 100% reliable, lab technicians get lazy and once they see that MDMA in decent enough concentrations and no other matches for known actives then that's that in their minds. It's the forensic labs that actually get into the nitty gritty looking for impurities to help trace back to the manufacturer. I'd be willing to bet the few lab analysis we do see where impurities are also listed, those impurities are likely in very high quantities enough to where the person doing analysis felt they needed to be mentioned.

Tranced- Just curious how the MDA reports sound different?? Around my neck of the woods high purity MDMA is readily available but MDA hasn't been around since 2013 or so. From pretty much my first few times rolling up until then MDA was pretty common in my area, both in pills by itself, in mixes (blue A's and blanks) and as the pure crystal. Then last I saw it I grabbed a gram of some very nice clear shard and that has lasted me little here little there since. But it's been bumming me out that it's not around anymore :( There's nothing better then 100mg of MDMA, 25mg of MDA. That combo can make me go cross eyed on the come up, chatting everyones ears off. Once it levels off though your looking at a good solid 6 hour roll typically. Wavy as fuck, and comedown can be rough, but damn I love that stuff haha. Sorry for the tangent..

Edit: Kaden posted just after you but gotta reiterate what a crock of shit that is haha. Oh what some vendors will say to move product..

-GC

Edit: Kaden posted just after you but gotta reiterate what a crock of shit that is haha. Oh what some vendors will say to move product..

-GC

Absolutely. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. When I first saw it though, I did question just how far-reaching that misunderstanding may be though.

By the way GC, the other day I was reading back through the 'what is wrong with MDMA' thread and saw this:
Btw Kaden Nite, I just wanted to say your posts made me laugh so f-in hard damn near cried, thank you for that :)

Cheers, that really makes it all worthwhile :D