Reasons for living for an athiest?

Having your son taken away is an terrible trauma. You need support. I am a mother and my heart breaks for you. You are incredibly strong and don't forget that. You got out of the relationship and now you need to go further: you need to find out why you got into it. (Usually there is childhood trauma.) Losing your child to CPS heaps shame upon shame and you need support to free yourself from that shame. This does not mean refusing to accept responsibility it means treating yourself with compassion as a human being. The whole CPS paradigm sets up so much self-loathing in a parent and I don't think this benefits anyone. Are you getting any kind of therapy? Do you think it is helping?

Please try hard not to turn this all against yourself. You can heal. The relationship with your son can be healed. Faith is a hard thing to have inside when you are feeling exhausted and defeated but it is essential. Don't lose faith in yourself.((<3))
You have helped me more than you will ever know. I appreciate your words. And I appreciate the validation above all.

I was a born-again Christian for most of my life but became an atheist about 6 years ago. Personally I think that trying to help others is the best therapy for feelings of hopelessness, unhappiness or just feeling disconnected. Religion is a crutch, you do not need a deity to find purpose in life, that is an illusion.

What comforts you in life when you're feeling like there isn't a reason to live? I can't look to god and none of my family relationships are strong and I feel my current relationship crumbling. I'm feeling really low today, any replies are welcome :/

-Elle

Continuing to experience life is it's own reason.

You are just a minuscule part of the whole of the universe experiencing itself. Try to let go of your ego and self centered concepts and accept the infinite beauty of everything. We are all in this together man. Align your life with the waves of the cosmos and ride those fucking waves. Spirituality is an individual thing; fuck organized religion. I'm an agnostic myself trying to stay open to anything and everything.

And as others have pointed out, everything is transient. You must first define "you" to find any peace in this life. It's a hard thing to do. Btw, no disrespect to anyone religious here. I think many are different means to the same goal. But honestly, who cares if there is any true meaning to anything. Life is fun man if you let it be.

Infinite beauty of everything? I'm continually amazed when people say such things. It's like starvation genocide depression and all that side of the coin doesn't exist.

Also life is not always fun for everyone. Things are sometime outside of one's control even in pampered first world countries such as ours. It's hard for me at least to take such proclamations seriously as they lack any sort of balance.

1. Understanding the drive and thought patterns of geniuses like Turing, Einstein, Euler (just to name a few). Learn about the path, that lead them to invent those masterpieces of cognition.

2. Gaining enough discipline to control my own suffering and help others reducing their own

3. Women