• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Careers Really worried about taking a team lead position as I have no experience

V82

Bluelighter
I am supposed to start as a Client Service Leader at H & R Block soon.

I am really worried about starting this position.

I have never worked for the company before and was hired as a client service representative.

But the person who was the leader quit so they want me to take the client service leader position.

I have never had a team leader or management position in my life.

I feel like I am out of my depth here and when it gets really busy in April I may be in trouble.

I am feeling like this may cause me to start using benzos and drinking again as I have used it to cope with my anxiety disorder before.

At least it is only until early May.

From my perspective of having used H&R Block to file personal tax returns twice I'm not sure you have to worry much about managing people. I'm sure every office is slightly different especially if they are franchises however in principle every tax preparer has their own Client List to work off of and new/returning clients typically either want to spend time working one-on-one(bad) or else are happy to drop their filing info and get some sort of reassurance that it will be filed on or before April 15th (much better, however it could mean sleepless nights for you if you get too many)

The real question is what are they offering for this leadership role and is it commensurate with taking on the additional stress and strain?

I am supposed to start as a Client Service Leader at H & R Block soon.

I am really worried about starting this position.

I have never worked for the company before and was hired as a client service representative.

But the person who was the leader quit so they want me to take the client service leader position.

Think of how this will boost your career, it seems like a golden opportunity.

I have never had a team leader or management position in my life.

Everyone has to start somewhere

I feel like I am out of my depth here and when it gets really busy in April I may be in trouble.

Sounds like you've identified your biggest problem and have a window of time in which to work out solutions. This is not a bad situation.

I am feeling like this may cause me to start using benzos and drinking again as I have used it to cope with my anxiety disorder before.

At least it is only until early May.

ok, losing your head and getting into drug abuse will turn a manageable situation into a disaster. this could be your chance to take a big leap forward in life, try to stay calm and do as much as you can to learn the terrain and prepare for the battle. save the party for when the storm has passed.

Weather you succeed or fail it's still valuable experience you can draw from in the future, good luck