• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Really want to quit weed for good

MasterVampire

Bluelighter
So basicly ive been a heavy smoker for about 4 years.

I told my self i was going to quit for good at the start of the year and i did, for about 4 months until my parents announced that they were going overseas for two weeks leaving me home alone. Well i bought a alot of weed thinking ill have a huge smoke up and go back to quitting once they are back from the holiday but i never did. I just kept on going.

Well its now almost July and im still smoking since that time but ive had enough.

Weed just doesnt really do anything for me anymore. I can smoke and then feel normal again in 30-40 minutes. I must have a huge tollerance for it. I rememeber back in the day id get baked for 2 hours! Also it makes me VERY anti-social. I pretty much never go out, unless im going to friends places to smoke or score some. So those are the two main reasons i want to quit.

But this time its like i know it has to be forever. If i start up again a few months down the line ill just keep going i know it, i did it last time so it HAS to be never again.

The problem is that right now i feel.......well shit and depressed.
I stopped smoking last night and todays friday, the weekend - yay? No.

I just feel like theres nothing to do. I dont have many friends, no gf, and the friends i do know they mostly all do drugs. I got alot of new xbox and pc games to play but no - i just dont feel like it. I got a new tv series to watch i was enjoying but again, i just dont feel like it. I just feel like doing nothing, just endless browsing on the internet or staring at a wall. I have no real hobbies and nothing interests me. I guess thats why i liked weed so much, as an escape of my crappy life, knowing i could smoke up, put on an episode or buffy or a video game and everything would be good.

I really need to be strong to get off this shit and could use some encouragement from other people who have quit.

Well, people aren't usually this honest with each other, but weed is pretty good at making you forget that you have a shitty life. And I'm kinda fucking with you, but it does sound pretty shit. Also you don't have to not see your friends just because they do drugs right? I'm only saying because it sounds like one of the few reasonable options. More bad advice is like, smoking pot out with your friends is probably better than sitting home alone all emo. Just don't smoke pot alone, that is a reasonable half way maybe.

You kind of sound like you want to be told to go on zoloft. So, uh, go on zoloft. If that didn't work, well, I'm not going to tell you to learn to knit or shit, you know how to not sit on the couch, i'm not going to change if you do right.

So I'll give you a list of things I do to pass the time (besides smoking pot)

* masturbate a lot
* order chinese for the girl next door and when she doesn't answer offer to buy it for half off
* find someone cool online and relentlessly stalk them
* make up a secret friend. and execute him.
* call random phone numbers ask them to hang on, put the phone down, leave.

If you get all that shit done i can come up with more i'm a fucking idea factory

Its tough but you can do it.

I personally never decided to stop, but the best option is to get out there and find new friends, new hobbies, etc.

I mean why sulk in the misery of not smoking by still doing stuff you used to do while smoking? Go to a gym, work out in the middle of night, rather than watching king of the hill at 2 am and smoking.

(also morphene those ideas were NUTS, I did the last one but left it on speakerphone haha, you can always PM me with more of those ideas)

I'd been smoking a lot of pot the past two year. I stopped smoking regularly recently and I realized I really didn't have anything else I ever did. I just got high, that was my only hobby. Once I was high I could sit there for all I cared. Find something new or old that you used to do and do it instead of getting high.

try move to different country with no access to weed... that's the only way worked for me ;) the first two weeks of soberness is harsh but once it's over. you'll enjoy clear thoughts and energy.

I gave up weed last summer. It was difficult at first because, as you said, I'd smoke and go online, listen to some music, and just browse or chat. I never really did anything when I was high, and smoking made doing nothing tolerable. When I decided to stop it was very difficult to make myself try to do anything else.

I ended up going for walks and exercising which helped. I've always loved walking because it just gives me something to do that occupies time and it relaxes me.

Try to do new things. Maybe draw while listening to music. Get out. Go to parks, walk, ride a bike, jog, hike. Try going to the library to get some books to read. I think that, every day, you might have to really force yourself into doing anything, but as the days go by things should get easier.

You have to find a hobby/interest that makes you want to stop, that smoking will get in the way of... i used to smoke everyday but i found a new interests.
Getting distinctions in accounting..
Racing motocross
Going to the gym 4 times a week
Kickboxing
Swimming
Meditation

Something healthy that will keep you occupied..
The gym is a winner imoz...

Make up a list of goals and follow them..
www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk/goal_setting/goals.html
check out that... people just need direction in their lives, weed makes it possible to live with no direction, but you cant hide from lifes problems in a cloud of smoke..

Exercise daily, change your thoughts... as soon as you start thinking about it and just live generally healthy all round.
How can you do something if you do not first think about it..

Dont get stuck on the, "i wanna smoke, geez id love a smoke" thought.. just distract yourself.. read!
Reading and expanding your knowledge is the best thing you can do for yourself..

Just remember that every day that you don't smoke, the easier it gets.
You will then look at your friend and the drug users around you and see them from a different perspective, it wont be pretty and that will help motivate you to not touch it again.

see you at defqon

morphene said:
Well, people aren't usually this honest with each other, but weed is pretty good at making you forget that you have a shitty life.

Dialga said:
the best option is to get out there and find new friends, new hobbies, etc.

emperorofusa said:
Try to do new things. Maybe draw while listening to music. Get out. Go to parks, walk, ride a bike, jog, hike. Try going to the library to get some books to read. I think that, every day, you might have to really force yourself into doing anything, but as the days go by things should get easier.

rsrkt said:
people just need direction in their lives, weed makes it possible to live with no direction, but you cant hide from lifes problems in a cloud of smoke..

these bits of advice relate closely to my experience quitting drugs. the most difficult thing for me was getting to a point where radical change remains my only option and desire. i like to think of drug dependence as falling into a chasm full of cliffs that you land on, and they crumble away under your feet dropping you further down into the chasm whenever you try to crawl your way up. but when you've crumbled all the cliffs and stand at the very bottom it's actually easier to crawl back out than if you were standing further up because you are by then so determined to get out of that dark place that you'll throw your all into it.

i can't tell whether you're at that point. it SEEMS to me that you MIGHT be, but truth is that everyone's real trigger is set at a sensitivity only the individual experiencing it can tell for sure. i'm not talking about the trigger that tells you you have a problem; nor the trigger that gives you the frustration to actually talk about your problem; but the final, do-or-die trigger that let's you punch into the knot of pain in your mind and pull out the motivation that you let hide deep inside the halls of addiction.

once you've established that you really have the resolve it takes to quit, you have to dedicate your focus on two things. first: stopping your dependence by not continuing to take ANY drugs. second: rebuilding your life from the foundations up so that you reach such a level of satisfaction with your efforts that you won't even desire drugs.

the second step is huge. believe me. holy fuck, is it huge. i started months ago and i'm still nowhere near the finish, but at least i can vindicate my efforts by saying i got this far without ever breaking down and needing drugs to feel happy in the meantime. having a hobby is a big part of that satisfaction. i'm fortunate to love cars and have one i can always be working on. it takes a lot of effort for even the smallest accomplishment. i haven't even driven it in a month, but without drugs to dilute my goals and desires i'm so eager to drive it again that i'm growing stronger as a person just seeking out hidden wells of energy and determination within me to go and keep working on it even when i would have just stopped and gotten high instead.

it's the same feeling with working out. after you get into the swing of it, you find yourself more determined than ever to get into great shape and start spending more time on it, finding more energy for it, and ultimately becoming a better person through your efforts. no matter what hobby you chose; cars, reading/learning, art, music... don't neglect daily exercise, and don't neglect a quality diet to go with it!

having something in your life that betters you through your efforts at it is, in my humblest of opinions, the principle foundation you need to construct. the second foundation is becoming responsible, dependable, and in-charge of your future. the third, and final foundation is becoming as close with your family as you can bare to be, and having a solid network of friends who can make sure you don't slip and let your first two foundations crumble again.

once you've established all that, the house that you will build upon your foundations is called happiness, and it needs to be filled with your accomplishments. good luck!

I'm not sure how old you are or whatever. Chances are you know a lot of other people who DON'T smoke weed. Chill with them for a while. Be happy--happiness is something weed cannot give you--you have to cultivate it in yourself. Maybe teach yourself a new skill, pick up a book, become a movie aficionado, whatever. You can do it!

Good luck, I've been forced to quit after being high for 15 years. And by being forced to quit I mean I had to quit growing because of my wife and where I moved to( redneckville Arizona). The few times I got high here it was shitty brown that just made me tired. I recommend moving far away if that is possible with your situation. Otherwise, you must start new hobbies and meet different non drug using friends. I got into motorcycles and target shooting in the desert. The first 2 weeks of quitting was hell with depression, but it got better after that. I still crave it all the time, but I refuse to pay for garbage after having all I wanted of the best shit for free. You are an addict like most of us, and will have to deal with it somehow for the rest of your life. My wife quit smoking when she became a raw vegan, and making that food occupies a lot of her free time. She also says she is happier now that she eats no meat.

Get a job.

You're lucky you actually have the ability to sit around all day and smoke. I wish I could do that again...

If your issue is that smoking Cannabis isn't the same as it used to, then I suggest adding in some supplementation. Perhaps Piracetam in the A.M. and Aniracetam in the P.M.

If your issue is that your life sucks, than that's something you're going to have to change on your own...

I wanted to revisit this to contrast my wit in the first post with a bit of serious discussion. I took a humorous approach because quite honestly it's hard for me to accept this is really about cannabis and not about his otherwise unfulfilling life. I'm not going to argue with those who report difficulty quitting or substantial cessation effects, but it does seem to either be rare or a question of scale.

Personally I've been around pot and potheads for quite a long time - and I've never once heard someone say "I want to quit smoking" who didn't. And yet that hasn't been true for nearly any other drug, from caffeine to nicotine to ketamine to heroin to eating fatty foods. Personally I've gone through year plus lengths of smoking daily and then stopped with little reason. Sure something doesn't quite feel right, but the biggest impact seemed to be the break in a habitual pattern rather than the drug itself. I regularly stop smoking for days weeks or months simply due to disinterest - and that's with an almost overwhelming supply.

That's not to say I don't think habitually smoking pot doesn't have negative effects on many or most people - and here most potheads argue with me. For many they can be quite slight, but for others apathy and depression can be severe. Some smokers I know seem to have poorer lives from it, but when they can't get pot their lives don't improve or they use other drugs. Others I know have built great lives - written books, had a family, built multi-million dollar businesses all while smoking far more than I ever could.

I do think that habitual smoking has some negative impact, but that impact is one of a million influences in your life and many times isn't a real factor. I'm almost positive though that it's more common among those apathetic and unhappy than the world's most successful individuals. But that probably says as much about types of people attracted to it as it does about anything it might cause.

In the end, I think the OP has the issue backwards. He wants a better life which I agree he should strive for. It also seems quitting smoking will be a crucial early step. However improving your life is hard, especially once you've fallen into a hole. He needs to focus on that and really stir things up through self improvement. But that is a topic that has as much space in the book store as history - and anyone asking for help already knows the basic advice they'll be given. If one fails to improve and then returns to smoking pot I don't think it's valid to attribute that to the drug.

The key is turning the corner inside you and getting the natural motivation along with positive outside stimulus. I wish the OP much success.

ive just quit, after a long stretch, its been like 10 days, really kinda rought, feels like a prolonged amphetamine comedown or something... but im being kept alive on the hope that the next phase of my life will be new, and interesting, also the idea of being more of solide, dependable person appeals to me. also having college be easy again would be nice. And ive found a new doc, which i feel all warm and fuzzy towards like i once did weed.

I can definitely sympathize with your situation.

I´ve been smoking cannabis for about 12 years, but have been smoking daily for the last four years with very few breaks.
Most of my good friends dont really smoke anymore, because of jobs, children and other grown up stuff.
So usually i smoke after work, to relax and enjoy the shit they air on tv.
I also have difficulty's coping with hangovers if i don't have some hash to mellow me out.

Recently though i started to doubt just how much good this excessive toking was doing to me.
I have always noticed that smoking daily is perfect if you want to feel happy with where you are in life, its just that you don't pursue anything else. I can work my boring job and still be happy all week as long as i have my joint after work, and one after dinner and one in front of the TV before bed.
Actively pursuing other goals in life than buying some ice cream is out of the question for me when im stoned.

So anyways, about three weeks ago i decided to quit smoking. For the first time i felt really motivated, i got really sick of being dependent and addicted to another drug ( i smoke cigarettes and drink coffee, and i might have a slight problem with alcohol) and i got really into reading online stories about quitting weed.
That´s actually why i registered on bluelight again, last time was in 2001.

The first week was not that funny, i slept an average of 3 hours a night, woke up all sweaty and had strange dreams. The second week i felt so good and was really proud of my strong will so naturally i bought some hash to celebrate my new found willpower.
Within a day i was back to smoking all the time.
This only lasted a short while since i didnt have that much, i havent bought anything more and dont plan to do it this weekend.

Now i dont really see myself quitting cannabis forever, but i am really convinced that i cant continue smoking everyday.
I dont even enjoy the high when i smoke everyday, its just boring really. But smoking on weekends and such really got me as high as i used to get five years ago.

What i guess im trying to say is that you really need to be motivated to quit, i got really pissed of at myself for being such a dependent weak willed slave that i didn't have any problems with taking a break. I saw it as a war, a war on drugs hehe, but i guess i lost kind of since now im sure im going to use cannabis for the rest of my life, but not everyday goddammit!

If you dont work or study its going to be harder since you have so much free time, me i work quite hard and i am dead tired when i get home, i still didn't sleep more than three hours a night for the first week but had i been slacking in front of the TV i would probably never have gotten past the first week.

Dont expect your life to change just ´cause you quit weed, it sounds a bit like you have other problems in your life that also needs to be dealt with.

Its a lot easier to change those things if you don't smoke everyday though and i wish you good luck.

Your life doesn't suck. In fact, you have your entire life ahead of you.

Remember that the next time you walk next to a homeless person sitting in their own filth. They have it worse off, and they can't even get enough change to get a 40. :\

Be strong and find new hobbies. If you want an even better high, go work out. If you haven't done it in a while, then you might cough out your lungs at first. But it's a good mood lifter.

i took a 2 year break from weed cause it made me paraanoid and anti-social, i didn't feel any withdrawl symptoms...

you need to be strong, and with time things will get better, you'll get your motivation back, you'll be more interested in your hobbies, just think about the positive in the long run..

i'm not saying its easy but you can do it.

good luck, be strong!

uhhh...get a Job, go to the gym, find a 'love interest' any and all of these things take up massive amounts of time you'd normally spend baked.

Or, just stop. It's not that hard dude, especially after the first 1-2 weeks. I have been a heavy, heavy daily user for at least 8 years and have quit voluntarily for periods of 1 week to 6 months several times during that time. The only reason I start again is because I want to.

The only reason I start again is because I want to.

14.gif