• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random Realizing your friends/relatives are jerks

lecroute

Bluelighter
Friday night, at around 0:45 am, some guys kicked my front door in.

I was already in bed watching House.on Netflix, with two of my three dogs sleeping at my feet. At first I just heard banging sounds, but they were inconspicuous enough for me to think that one inconsiderate neighbor was working in his yard. Then the noises became louder, and more distinctive, and there was also the sound breaking glass. That's when I knew someone was trying to get in.

Something exploded. Or at least it sounded like it. Now there were also voices.

It took me a second or two to fully comprehend what was happening. It was like experiencing my thoughts in slow motion. I got up, grabbed whatever I could and went out of the bedroom.

From the stairs a male voice shouted: "This is a police matter, calm down!"

I saw two young guys in civilian clothes with their heads and faces fully covered. One of them had a pistol in his hand, pointed towards the floor. Strange, right?
But what was I going to with my baton against two guys, o e of them with a pistol.

"I don't care who you are," I said. Because I don't.

The first guy walks towards me,making me step back into the bedroom. "Where's the guy with the drugs?" he asks.

The second guy starts to open doors to and switching lights in the other bedroom and bathroom. When he sees there's nobody there, he joins us in my room.

Now they keep asking about the dude "who lives here." They mention drugs again, and gold.

I tell them I live alone, and that I have no idea who they are talking about. That's when another guy shouts from the first floor that there's another house further back. Now the first two want to know who lives there. Well, my neighbors, of course. And yes, they make jewelry. No idea if they are into drugs.

Realizing they broke into the wrong house, the two guys in my bedroom make their way downstairs. Then one of them gets a genius moment and tells me that even if they don't want anything from me, they can't just leave me there. I say no problem, I go with them, but they shouldn't expect any help because I have never been at the neighbors' house and only know basic stuff about them. They have a dog, two cats, and if their car isn't outside, that means they aren't there.

The neighbors' house is small, just a small living/dining room and another room which they use as a workshop. That's where we go in, and they tell me to sit on an ottoman in one corner. Then they start to ransack the place for a few minutes, at some.point even leaving me alone to search the other rooms.

Eventually, a fourth guy forces my neighbor into the workshop. Soon after they also bring in his girlfriend. My neighbor is clearly nervous and cooperative. The girl is almost crying and pleading to them not to hurt her.

They found some gold and two marihuana plants and took the neighbors' ATM card and his car keys. They bound both the neighbors's hand behind their backs. They told me to set them free in some ten or so minutes. Then the were gone.

---

I was in rational mode during all this, and still am. At least regarding the incident itself. It's not the first time I see guys with guns, or people being bullied by guys with guns, and after all, nobody got really hurt (the robbers didn't even touch me, or point their gun towards me).

That doesn't mean I could just go on with my life as if nothing happened. I was diagnosed with complex PTSD and Asperger's and I am pretty good at detaching myself emotionally. But I still need to rationalize "big" events. And though I can do part of it on my own, I really felt like talking to a friend, or my brother (mom and her partner were more about asking questions and offer practical help).
My brother started to make jokes. He thought this was some kind of game. It took me almost an hour to convince him this really happened, and then he said: "Ah, but you can deal with this." Then he started an argument about how I can't give him what he needs (different story, nothing too juicy).
My self-provlaimed best friend didn't even answer to my message until one day later. And his only question was if anything serious happened to me. When I said no, but that I still feel the need to talk, his answer took another day.
My neighbors keep telling me how sorry they are, because it's obvious the robbers were after them. I understand they are scared, and that's why they moved the workshop to someone's place, and their dog, too. Now they come only once a day to feed the cats and care for their remaining marihuana plant.

Long story, and really nothing I want to ask you guys. I just had to write this down, and share it somewhere where I know possible answers won't be just "Go to the police!" "Go to a shrink!" "Don't you have other friends?" "Why aren't you married d with kids?"

If you want to leave another kind of comment, you're welcome and I will happily read and react to it.

Otherwise, thanks for reading, even if it was only the first sentence :)

Hang in there Bro!

People are douchebags these days. Sounds like you need better friends, but then that's not an easy thing to come buy. Have you tried kickboxing? I've met a ton of cool people in martial arts class. Fewer douchebags there.

I had some family turn on me a couple of years ago, but it made me more independent. I'd rather be alone than have crappy friends.

...on the other hand, most people at Bluelight seem pretty cool. Nice to meet you. Hopefully you will find a way to move past this.

Have you tried kickboxing? I've met a ton of cool people in martial arts class. Fewer douchebags there.
As a matter of fact, I've looking for a place to do some MA. I moved to this city only a few weeks back, and living on the southern hemisphere everything is just starting to wake up from lazy summer time.

Nice to meet you. Hopefully you will find a way to move past this.
Thanks. And I'm sure I'll get through this. It's just that being part of a robbery is so much easier to deal with than jerky friends/relatives.

That doesn't mean I could just go on with my life as if nothing happened. I was diagnosed with complex PTSD and Asperger's and I am pretty good at detaching myself emotionally. But I still need to rationalize "big" events. And though I can do part of it on my own, I really felt like talking to a friend, or my brother (mom and her partner were more about asking questions and offer practical help).

I relate a lot to that. I also have Asperger's. I'm sorry that happened to you, that's a crazy story.

I have been robbed a few times, or party to drug robberies, and it's pretty fucked up. Just seems like distant memories now. As with other near death experiences I've had.

Helps to write things out to process them. I'm sure I've told those stories on here at least once.

I understand your pain. Whenever something happens to me that I feel the need to discuss with someone they never seem to take me seriously even though it was a serious, life changing event. What you experienced can definitely change how you feel on a regular basis and shouldn't be taken so lightly by the people who care about you. I'm sorry you had such an experience and I hope you can find a healthy wat to process it.

What you experienced can definitely change how you feel on a regular basis and shouldn't be taken so lightly by the people who care about you.
The only thing from the robbery that "stayed" is that I pay more attention to even small noises, and that at nights around 0:45 I kind of expect the doors being kicked in again. But nothing that makes me crawl into the closet or wet my pants if I really her a strange noise at 0:45.
I think in a few more days that will be over, too. I can always take some clona if I want (which I only did Saturday after a talk with the neighbors around noon).

The personal stuff... I think it will make me only a little more reluctant to build intimate relationships.

The only thing from the robbery that "stayed" is that I pay more attention to even small noises, and that at nights around 0:45 I kind of expect the doors being kicked in again
That's exactly the type of behavior I'm referring to though, it's hypervigilance and is a hallmark of PTSD. I have experienced it myself

First off, I am deeply saddened and feel very sorry you went through all this. I am also sickened by how cold and non- supportive your family and friends were toward you; after such a traumatic and horrible experience.
It is a safe bet, that your dogs are not at all like the very protective, anti social German Shepard my family had a long time ago.
They seem useless for the one job a dog in most cases( excluding work dogs, sherarding flocks of sheep or other animals, k-9 police dogs, helper dogs for the blind and disabled, dedicated guard dogs, racing greyhounds ect..) that is to be a deterant against and protection from home invaders.
I do not want to get into any details, because I am trying to be good on bluelight. But I take home and personal safety at home very very seriously and if I had dogs( they would be big, mean when needed, dangerous to intruders; German Shepards, Dobermans, Rottweilers or there are a number of rarer breeds and/or larger dogs that would are even more dangerous than the first three).
I take home security very very seriously.
Forget the dogs, if someone or 2 or more scumbag home invaders pulled that shit. It is kind of like a sign I read once it read, "Never mind the dog, Beware of the owner".
Believe it or not I am not a violent person: However I am very very, protective of myself and my home. Things would have gone very differently if two armed men broke into my home. I live alone, so no worries about kids.
Anyways I am shocked and disgusted by how your friends and family treated you, after such a horrifically traumatic experience. I don't have any family close by( They have all died) and I have no close friends.
Even though, if this sort of terrible thing happened at my house, and the outcome would have been very different.
I may not have anyone closeby that cares about me, but if I did I would have expected them to be caring, compassionate and truly supportive.( if the things that happened to you; were to happen to me, like they did to you). I would have expected them to be there, if nothing more than to listen and help me through this. To be emotionally supportive and care. Or at the very least give a shit.
I am sorry that this happened to you and sickened/ saddened that those close too you were not there for you, if nothing more than to listen and and be there for you. Obviously, they weren't.

That's exactly the type of behavior I'm referring to though, it's hypervigilance and is a hallmark of PTSD. I have experienced it myself
And it's exactly whay I wanted to prevent by talking about what happened with people who know me and know how I tick (ok, my (half-)brother doesn't know me that well, but he grew up in a violent place and knows what being robbed feels like).
I had a very bad night since the main incident, where I ended up texting my mom's partner. Like a last resort. He reacted, offered to call him if needed. But he also called my landlady to tell her to install extra security. Which I feel a little too much.
By now I'm ok again, maybe it's normal to be extra vigilant for a few days.
"Never mind the dog, Beware of the owner".
The dog thing... This happens when you live in a modern urban community. All three dogs are rescues, though none has ever lived through a bad thing in their lives. Two of them I found as puppies and raised myself. They are middle-sized, and some people claim to be afraid of them though I had to raise them to be friendly. To have a guardian dog, you must train them accordingly. Where I live it's very hard to get that kind of dogs. Most are imports from the US or Argentina, and then you need to get trained with the dog as well.

Oh, so you are not in the USA, let's just say a pistol is no match for what I keep, for protection.( legally owned) I take home protection deadly seriously and the people who are home invaders where I live are not usually as merciful. Although it is rare around here. It tends to end very bad for the victims, but it is rare where I live because if someone breaks in, especially with a gun, they might be leaving in a bodybag.
Once again I am very sorry you had to go through this. I seriously hope that you are able to get through this very terrible and traumatic experience. I think it is very kind of you take in and take care of 3 rescue dogs. My family had a German Shepard a long time ago he weighed between 45 and 57 kilos, but he was not friendly to anyone besides the family. He went on a diet but was still about 50 kilos and would have attacked with no training. But we had few visitors, but was he was great for getting rid of Jehovah's witnesses, in fact for years they avoided our house.
We would be home, and if anyone knocked or used the doorbell he would go on attack mode, so for years we just found their Watchtower material left between the door handle and door frame. No bothering us.
Anyways, I am sorry this happened too you and hopefully it never happens again.

but was he was great for getting rid of Jehovah's witnesses
Hahaha.
I grew up with my dad in Bogota, so getting robbed and assaulted is not just something out of movies for me. We had a dog, a German Shepard something-terrier mix. Not even friends could stick their hand through the fence to ring the bell. So visitors were on appointment only. When my to-be stepmom moved in, she had to wear boots around the house when my dad wasn't home, or go out to the yard. The dog was the same kind of protective with the car. And me :).

Yeah, that's why police, military and people wanting guard dogs prefer them. They will attack and defend their owners and their property with their lives.
But they should really be socialized around other people when they are puppies, otherwise you have to lock them in a room, put them outside, in a cage, or garage if you have people over.
So you live Columbia, I live in a suburb of Detroit. It is safe here but I believe in better safe than sorry. I would to be heavily armed if I lived their.
It is bad enough having a city that the is always in running or in the top spot for murders in America not too far away. But it is relatively safe here, especially with all the law abiding citizens with gun carry permits. Criminals know that if you come to suburbs looking for trouble, you might be gunned down and the cops will be a rather understanding.

I live in Chile now, and people here are quite divided about the whole guns/violence/human rights topics. Thing is, most criminals are set free because of how bad they had it growing up, or because their lawyers find someone who testifies that the criminal.was "heavily abused by police". But that's going too much into politics now, which Imprefer to avoid.

Sometimes I struggle to convey how important/not important things to me are. And then on the flip side, someone might say something or ask me something that would illicit a reaction and I don't feel inclined to say or do anything. Often find myself wondering what people expect me to do, and what people assume I feel.

Anyway, regarding friends and family, yeah I mean people tend to do their own thing. And probably care less than you think. Depending on your perspective, those can be good things or bad things.

I knew it, you are the narcissistic type. Lol, just kidding, maybe a little sociopathic perhaps?

Huh, when I hear a noise, I grab a home defense device, people think I am crazy or paranoid or usually both, Am I the only one who answers the door with a....home defense device at the ready, with it in one hand behind my back?
Hypervigilance, sounds so much better than; crazy ass motherfucker.

You always start off the conversation with "how can I help you". Even if you're scared. Even if you're angry. Because the answer to that question will give you a better idea of what the situation is