Re-examining the safety profile of melanotan 2? (+ contrast with mt1)

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
1st being - potential for gyno.

Not necessarily from the mt2, but possible it having been mixed up in a steroids lab and cross contamination.

Worth a read.

2nd - exacerbation of tinnitus: this happens to me as I have tinnitus (got it after the third covid vaccine).

I don't know the mechanism, but it's reported on reddit with other users also.

3rd - exacerbation of eye floaters: I'm unsure about this but have read claims to that effect.

Some claim eye problem emergence with mt 2 use also, not to be found with mt 1 apparently?

4th - I recently got panic from dosing to high, and anxiety/depression the following days.

Will add to the list for further discussion as I go.

Last edited:

Official clinical report of mt 1 safety profile.

You'd imagine as mt1 is considered to have a lower side effect profile than mt2, the latter is worse again.

Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people):
- urinary tract infection, infected hair follicle, infection in stomach and intestines,
- hypersensitivity, - decreased or increased appetite,
- depressed mood including depression, inability to sleep, poor quality sleep,
- fainting, fainting sensation, weakness, inability to get legs comfortable, disturbance of balance,
- dry eye, eye pain, red eyes, difficulty focusing on objects, sensitivity in eyes to light, ringing in ears,
- palpitations, bruising, bleeding, hight blood pressure,
- blocked sinuses,
- inflamed stomach and intestines, heartburn, irritable bowel syndrome, wind, lip swelling, reduce sense of touch in the mouth, gum pain,
- acne, eczema, red swelling on skin, dry skin, hair colour changes, excessive sweating, pigmentation in nails, colouration on lip, skin peeling, skin burning sensation, changes to the colour of the skin including loss of colour, oily skin, hives,
- joint stiffness, stiffness of muscle and bones, sudden muscle contraction, sore muscle,
- breast tenderness, irregular period, painful period,
- chills, feeling hot, hangover, malaise, swelling in legs or hands,
- abnormal liver function tests, decreased iron binding, increased sugar level, decreased blood iron level, blood in urine,

The bolded I've found to apply to myself.

Last edited:
Some interesting points from reddit, no harm compiling them here:

Side effects from mt 2 such as anhedonia (which I've recently experienced), can be precluded with mt 1.

Despite the half life, this can reside for weeks.

The melanocortin system is complex and has a lot of unknown territory. Especially when it comes to bombarding it with potent non specific agonists lol.

The melanocortin system is complex and has a lot of unknown territory. Especially when it comes to bombarding it with potent non specific agonists lol.

That certainly seems to be the case.

Some quite concerning case reports:

I used some mt2 this year as I did last year, except this year I mixed it with bac water instead of saline.

Saline weakens mt2 as it combines with melanotan-acetate to form sodium acetate.

I notice this can leave traces of powder on the vial that don't fully dissolve when mixing with saline.

So this year what I adminsterd was apparently much stronger.

Exactly the same batch, only difference bac water versus saline for mixing.

First dose gave me flushing, high HR and BP.

Then a tinnitus spike with anxiety and depression.

Dr said it's possible my bodies physiological response to this peptide has evolved and I've become intolerant to it.

9 days out from dosing and still have the tinnitus spike, anxiety + depression.

Last edited:
The case of PT141 induced anhedonia:

I believe this is the inventory of that persons experiences.

Hard to know did the chemical trigger something pre-existing in their situation, but there's many cases of PT141 (similar to melanotan, same targets) having similar affects - albeit (hopefully) not indefinite.

May be the same person:

That certainly seems to be the case.

Some quite concerning case reports:

Last edited:
I'm trying to find more specific information on the receptors targeted by melanotan 2 versus 1 (afamelanotide).

Wiki states mt2 target mc1 through 5 (with the exception of 2).

Mt1 targeting primarily mt1 exclusively (explaining differential in side effect profile).

I've also read however that mt1 is simply bigger, can't cross the BBB and therefore, whilst it actually is not mc1 specific, simply can't reach the other melanocortin receptors in the brain.

As per the above link, it causes anxiety/depression in about 1 out of 100 subjects - consistent with mc4 activation (causing anhedonia in some).

So...........

If anyone has info or some papers or links on specific melanotan 1 (afamelanotide) pharmacology?

That would be super fantastic.

Pulled this off wiki for mt2, sci-hubbed.

From links within that:

Binding profile of melanotan 2.

yyPp78X.png

NDP-MSH = melanotan 1 (according to that paper and the wiki synonyms for melanotan 1).

NDP-MSH is a strongly agonistic peptide that shows high affinity for all the MSH-binding MC receptors (Table I)

So, not really mc1 specific?

Last edited:
Anecdotal reports off reddit suggest the supposed "selectivity" of melanotan 1 for the mc 1 receptor subtype, doesn't really translate:

jfKlvGk.png

The contention that afamelanotide (melanotan 1) does not cross the BBB:

MC4R is expressed in the brain, where its activation induces satiety, and in epidermal melanocytes and keratinocytes, where its activation elicits increased pigmentation

3.1.3 Afamelanotide’s unspecific binding to the different MC-R’s Afamelanotide is an unspecific ligand for all known melanocortin receptors except for MC2R (Table 1). As mentioned under earlier these receptors control many physiological functions including pigmentation, feeding, satiety, thermoregulation, inhibition/modulation of inflammation and sexual function [61,62]. Many of these receptors are different from MC1R and many of them are located in specific brain areas. As afamelanotide does not cross the blood--brain barrier to a significant extent in contrast to its cyclic analog, bremelanotide, no adverse effects resulting from signaling of brainlocated receptors have been recorded and the effects of systemically administered afamelanotide are predominantly restricted to the skin [62]. Nausea observed during afamelanotide application may be due to binding to MC3R expressed in the gut.

I might question that, based on anecdotes from reddit? (emergence of exacerbated tinnitus, eye floaters)

Additionally the package insert specifies depression emergence in less that 1 in 100.