• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

RAW Opium poppy pods

This has already been answered probably, but here it goes. Score as many poppies as you would like, in fact, score them all. Now collect the latex from the pods and let it dry out. In order to calculate a relatively accurate dose, just consult the average alkaloid content of Opium. There are others, but generally, the only two constituents of Opium worth noting are Morphine and Codeine (3-Methlymorphine). From region to region and species to species the alkaloid content will vary, but there are some basic numbers that you can go off of.

Morphine: ~10% - ~15% of Opium content by weight; Codeine: ~3% of Opium Content by weight

So by this reckoning. If you collect a single gram of latex, you're looking at - conservatively - 100mg of Morphine and 30mg of Codeine. As stated, all you can really do with this information is deduce a rough estimate.

If you're planning to do something with the latex, I would highly suggest making it into a solution and using it rectally. Take advantage of the increased bioavailability.

Most definitely wait till the crown of the poppy is somewhat flat or pointing down. I think I used to wait a minimum of three weeks after the petals fell off. Many wait till the poppy natural dries or a minimum of one month. They should be nice and swollen as well the soil should be allowed to dry out some what. The pods begin to get a bluish hue at this point.
Good point - i forgot about that.
Thanks.

Wading through this absolutely huge amount of differing information on the humble poppy is becoming seriously tiresome but with others help I'm hoping I will eventually get there.
If you get a taste of why some folks are so fond of pod tea, i suspect you'll find gathering information on poppies a great deal less tiresome. I was fixated upon poppies for years, did a lot of reading at a poppy-specific forum (called "somniforum"? Something like that. Dont think it still exists, but i coukd be wrong) and elsewhere - and forever experimenting, cultivating, guerilla-growing opium poppies.
I used to have an unquenchable thirst for poppy-related knowledge...motivated by my then-unquenchable thirst for poppy related intoxication.
I dont exactly feel regret for that period of my life - but i see the obsession now for what it was; the consuming nature of addiction.
The time and effort spent simply maintaining a weird habit as efficiently as i could was time and effort i could have put to so much better use.
To paraphrase a Nick Cave lyric from the Birthday Party days - don't turn over that rock; you may like what you will find (a little too much).
Perhaps not getting the kicks you were expecting from poppy pod tea aint such a bad thing.
Are codeine and DHC your go-to opiates of choice? If so, i doubt tolerance is your issue here.
At least with poppy you can titrate your dose much more than codeine, which is not a drug that people typically get good results from redosing...

Thanks again, I've learned more about the poppy from this thread than I have in months of searching.

I'm already deep into addiction so that worry isn't there. I will only have access to these for maybe a month or two throughout the year so it won't be a full blown thing.

Have you ever tried blending say 20/ 30 pods up with a small amount of water, then slowly simmering the blended mixture for say 30 minutes on a very low heat then filtering through a sieve. Returning the filtered mixture to the pan until left with what would hopefully be an opium extract?

Was reading about this method earlier and was thinking, as long as I'm careful as to not overheat the product then I should be left with a decent product?

Cheers again.

Cool, glad i could share some dubiously-acquired knowledge :)

As for making 'extracts'; I had a couple of seasons where i was able to harvest 300+ pods.
Each one of them was placed into the same canvas re-usable shopping bag - which, by the end of the season - was stained brown with opium latex that had simply bled from the stems of the pods and dried on the canvas bag.

When harvest time was over, i would soak this bag in a bowl of water and wring it out, repeating the process several times.
I would then use a slow cooker to evaporate off the water, and was left with black, sticky opium goop.
It looked like pictures i've seen of black tar heroin - which i've never come across, as most Australian smack is SE Asian #4 - but anyway, this stuff was pretty potent and could be smoked, but i still preferred eating it.
I would dose lumps of this stuff that were about 1/4 of the size of a pea. Something i used to like having around for "emergencies" or "special occasions".

As for boiling tea down to some kind of opium extract - you'd really need a lot more than 30 pods to make such an effort worthwhile - and you're going to lose active alkaloids in the process. So, no - i really don't think it is worth it.
More fucking around for less product, unless you have some way of elaborately extracting opiates using solvents or something - in which case you'd need to dry the pods and grind them to a find powdery consistency.

If you want to play around with opium latex, just score some of your pods, collect and save it. You need a decently large crop of poppies to get any sort of worthwhile amount in my experience - but it's worth it for the novelty i guess. I did it the first time i grew poppies but never bothered after that.

Unless you have a massive amount of pods, i really don't think there is any benefit in complicating what is a simple, effective recipe - making a drinkable opium "tea" (with no heating required) - into an elaborate process that will inevitably lose product along the way, unless you have some specific knowledge relating to the chemical extraction of the desired alkaloids from the poppies.

The most elaborate thing i ever did was purchase a food dehydrator to dry pods that i wanted to keep (sometimes leaving poppies to dry before harvesting them wasn't practical or possible - and you run the risk of mould or rotten pods if you get heavy rain after the pods' crowns pop, as water can get inside).
I would use the food dehydrator to dry the pods, then grind them to a powder with a coffee grinder. I would then mix the powder as thoroughly as i could...by putting all the pods into the same container and shaking it, basically. This creates a theoretically more homogenous mix of the various pods with differing potency - allowing me to dose more accurately (and easily - this pod powder could be put into gel or vege capsules taken like pills) and and also store for longer than the few days they'll keep for, before mould ruins them.
But even that minimal amount of fucking around is only necessary if you have more pods than you can consume before they rot or go
mouldy.
Some people freeze their fresh pods and blend them up whenever they want some throughout the year, after harvesting.
I did this once, but a power failure - or freezer breaking down (i can't remember which - too long ago) turned all my pods into a thawed out, horrid mush that couldn't be salvaged.
Live and learn :)

(And i lived and learned that i had acquired an addiction to an alkaloid brew that is notoriously painful to detox from, as it can drag on for a similar amount of time to other long-lasting narcotics such as methadone or buprenorphine. Just be careful - pod habits can seem benign, but withdrawing from them is anything but)

Play safe!

Last edited:
Ah I see, pointless fucking around then, thank you :)

So best bet is to just grab say 3/ 4 pods, grind them up with a little juice and gulp it all down?

Thanks again, I've learned more about the poppy from this thread than I have in months of searching.

I'm already deep into addiction so that worry isn't there. I will only have access to these for maybe a month or two throughout the year so it won't be a full blown thing.

Have you ever tried blending say 20/ 30 pods up with a small amount of water, then slowly simmering the blended mixture for say 30 minutes on a very low heat then filtering through a sieve. Returning the filtered mixture to the pan until left with what would hopefully be an opium extract?

Was reading about this method earlier and was thinking, as long as I'm careful as to not overheat the product then I should be left with a decent product?

Cheers again.
On the old poppies.org or the somniforum site they explained that the water extract is not as potent, does not keep as well and is far from smokable. Toss and wash just toss and wash after properly blending. Mortar and pestle will not do use a blender. If you are well into addiction this is likely the best way. 20-30 medium sized well grown poppies from well known turkish genetics could easily be overkill. With a huge tolerance I used to just blend 5-7 dried or fresh large pods. That was much stronger then 150 mg of oxy. 20-30 little pods might make a bit more sense. Be carful Some people can have reactions to the thebian or other alkaloids in the poppy.

On the old poppies.org or the somniforum site they explained that the water extract is not as potent, does not keep as well and is far from smokable. Toss and wash just toss and wash after properly blending. Mortar and pestle will not do use a blender. If you are well into addiction this is likely the best way. 20-30 medium sized well grown poppies from well known turkish genetics could easily be overkill. With a huge tolerance I used to just blend 5-7 dried or fresh large pods. That was much stronger then 150 mg of oxy. 20-30 little pods might make a bit more sense. Be carful Some people can have reactions to the thebian or other alkaloids in the poppy.

Hey, thanks. Think I'll try the old toss and wash with 3 poppy pods. Going to wait 2/ 3 weeks after petals fall and then try.

Cheers.

Hey man, just wondered if you could answer a few more questions regarding my poppies?

After petal fall I waited until the leaves were starting to die and the crown had started to become erect. The pods were about an inch in size across, so say medium.
I first tried blending 2 in some fruit juice to test potency, didn't notice any effects.
The next day I tried blending 4 of the same sized pods, still no effect.
Finally I tried 6 pods, same again no effect.

I'm 99.9% sure these are legitimate Papaver Somniferum, I've been gardening quite a number of years so this helps me in identifying them.

Am I doing something wrong? My only tolerance issue would be the use of Dihydrocodeine which shouldn't effect it that much.

Anyway, cheers if you can help at all.

peace.

The variety has a lot to do with it. Persian whites and Indian whites were very low in content in my experience. The afghan ones were ok but not great. The other ornamental varieties seemed low. Tassies are the ones- they should be white with pink or purple spots near the centre or occaisionally pink with purple spots usually not too much "hair" on the stems but some times a little bit hairy. Personally I wouldnt bother making tea just chew up all of the stem and pod material and leave it sitting in your cheek pouch so the opium goes directly into your capillaries then after 15-30 minutes wash it down with some water. If your habit/tolerance is high you may have to repeat this a few times. If you have already ascertained they are not very strong start with six then redose every 1.5 to 3 hours, I wouldnt wait a whole day.

Did you keep the varieties seperate? If you can identify the tasmainian morphine poppies these might give you more joy. I don't have a high tolerance but would compare a mouthful of tassies to be more potent than an oxy 40 orally. Better overall experience too and longer lasting. I usually start with one big pod to gauge the potency but will end up eating 12 to 16 a day by the end of the season usually divided up into 3 doses. Dont forget to eat any latex you see coming from the stem or pods when you cut them it should taste nice and bitter.

I would forget about the scoring. Just let the pods dry on the stems, then pick them and chop them up the crown and the collar included (first w scissors, then in a blender [for about 4 min]) You lthen make the tea from the dried powder you have, it's the best way. I believe that ingesting the raw opium doesn't work that well, neither does chasing the dragon. Just my humble opinion after 20 years of drinking tea, and trying all the other ways.