Raver types and judgement...? Phuck dat!

Ashke

Bluelighter
I love the old skools because they try so hard to preserve something they believe in, and because of how their eyes light up when they recall to me the scene when it was something adventurous, intriguing, and new.
I love the newbie 'first timers' who hover near the walls and watch wide-eyed and overwhelmed at the ocean of party kids spilled out and pulsing across the floors; I love how they gush when I give them a candy bracelet, and how they blush when I assure them they owe me nothing but a smile in return.
I love the jungle kids who tear up the floor with bold moves, and I love how fiercely they defend their ideals that focus be on the music and the dancing, their worship of the DJ, their disregard for chemical excess, the way their tough exterior can't always hide an inner love and joy for physical and musical expression.
I love the candykids who wear their happiness and generousity like some proud badge of honor; I love the delight they take in blowing up others, or even just making them smile; I love the detail and creativity of their homemade bracelets, the selflessness in their handouts, and the way they uphold the concepts of PLUR with such seriousness inspite of their playful natures.
And especially I love every raver who never dropped into an immediate catagory, the real people who defy classification and scoff others' attempts at judgement. I love every badass jungle boy who found himself caught in a fit of uncontrollable laughter; I love every candygirl who raged or wept or beat her fists against what she couldn't change; I love every kid at a party who DARED wear straight-leg pants!
You all have my love. You all have my respect.
~*~ Ashke ~*~

y'know... I realy can't agree with you more... I have never heard it put quite so poeticly... I may complain alot about some of them... but I have to do little more to look on my right arm to see a home-made (rainbow coloured) bracelt, that a strange girl gave to me, telling me that it was her "faveourite" and that she wanted me to have it, becasue I was "so cool". It takes little effort to remember the first experiences of some of the people I have helped allong the way.
I too have total respect for the jungle kids.
and yes, even the candy ravers.
the TRUE ravers I have met, and ESPECIALY the wide eyed new kids who do exactly as you said... or the best friend, who comes not to dance so much as just to be there, close to friends, listen to good music, and just... wander. (right evey?)
however... in my city... there are some people that I do *NOT* respect. let me tell you who they are.
first and foremost, they are the ones who do not respect ME, or MY friends...
some friends and I have adoped a few new terms to describe them.
1) Flavour Ravers: the people who think a rave is the "place to be" it's the "flaveour of the month" weather they take the guise of a candy raver... or a jungle kid... they don't understand the concept of PLUR, or anything of the sort. They are there to be seen.
2) Self Proclaimed Hardcore: those who go to a rave for the sole purpose of doing copious ammounts of drugs (before, during and after). And than proceeding to brag about it.
3) Bar Stars: those girls, (and guys I guess) who show up at a party dressed like "hoochies", in little plastic tanks, from Susie Shier, who have far too much attitude, and think they are better then the rest of us.
4) the Intolerant: heaven forbid they should she two men kiss.
5) The Children: those sucked into the drugs and the scene entierly too early, and for the wrong reason... now don't get me wrong, I respect them, I even like some of the little cuties... but I fear for their safety... and wish they would grow up a little before they enter into something that they do not quite understand.
6) the "I'm So Fuct": little 14 year old girls, who proclaim on high that they are so fucked, for thier first time, on 4 caps of e, and who insist on giving me a hug because I am "so cute" or just becasue I am a guy, wearing a black skirt adorned with silver dragons...
as the scene becomes more and more prevelant, and mainstream in my reletively little prarie city, soo too become these groups of people who are there for, by my perceptions, the wrong reasons. though at the same time, some of "the children" do grow to become real ravers... some of the "the self proclaimed hardcore" see the light. and yes, even some of the "flaveour ravers" find a niche...
but first and foremost MUST come the PLUR.
[This message has been edited by PaRaDoX (edited 04 January 2000).]

If you rave.... It's all good!
I love all types of ravers. I have realized however, that SOME PEOPLE JUST DON'T GET IT! They just don't "know" what it's all about.
But that is OK, because if they keep coming around...maybe they will.
The problem I see is that eveyone that grasps PLUR is being greedy with it, what I mean is, your just sharing PLUR with your fellow ravers. We all can look in a crowd and see the people who grasp PLUR (the ones who know) and the people who don't. We need to share our insight... spread the PLUR around a little more.
If every raver took some time with the "flavour raver" or the "self proclaimed hardcore"...etc... and just talked to them, shared a smile and your knowledge with them, took them dancing through the crowds and gave them the chance to experience PLUR.... don't you think it might make a difference?
Let's face it... most of us just share PLUR with each other and pay no mind to the clueless. That is where we are going wrong.
There was I time when I was clueless, and I just didn't fucking get it...
But I was so very lucky to have someone who took the time and showed me the way... and gave me the gift of PLUR... so I will pass the torch and keep dancing !!!
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Dazzle (edited 04 January 2000).]

As I read through this thread I try to put myself into one of these catagories, I have a few bracelets, I do a few drugs, I dance, I hug, I love the music, I go because I hear a certain DJ or two is gonna be there, I dress up, I dress down. I love the idea of PLUR and I tell people about it, I chill with the promoters, the DJ's, the kidz. What catagory am I in? am I a flava of the month, no I definetly understand the meaning of PLUR. but I do believe that a rave is the place where I belong, it feels right, natural, like home away from home. what am I? Would somebody please catagorize me? maybe I'm just a raver with no pretense.
------------------
IMOKRUOK - Roll On Roll Off

Hey Goose, from what I have heard of your posts, and such, I would have to place you squarely in the category briefly refered to as the "real raver" I think that most of the bluelighters (if not all of us) ARE.
and as far as trying to take of of these other groups under our wing... its a little hard to be absolutely PLUR with someone, when you come up to talk when them, and you get a "leave me the fuck alone" or some other such VERY un-PLUR statement.
I have, in fact, given some of these people "a clue" but I don't think that it should be anyone's place to try and make someone more "PLUR" that is something that comes with eperience, and time... and some people are just that way to begin with. yeah, I guess I could take a little more time, and help out some of these "clueless" people... and maybe in future, I will.
I invited some of my friends to raves, and largely becasue I knew that they WOULD get it. Because they understod PLUR to begin with. at any rate... you guys got me ranting again... hehe I seem to be pretty good at it. :p
PLUR!! (and I mean it... damnit!)

paradox, you hit the nail right on the head.
It really troubled me to go into the bathroom at all about the music and see these YOUNG kids hitting K . It made me shake my haed and wonder if they have any idea what they are getting themselves into.
I am glad i didn't find the rave scene Until i could handle it. If you are not ready, This whole scene, as great as it is,could really Fuc* a kid up.

I think every kid should go through being a stoner before they hit the rave crowd. If thats the route their gonna go. Being a stoner allowed me to learn to chill, moderate, recover, all that stuff. Those young kids get into a party and have access to all kinds of drugs, they really don't know what their getting thereselves into. I knew what I was getting myself into when I first rolled/tripped/whateva and I'm glad I did cause I had that much more fun anticipating.
------------------

Ashke, you should be a poet because your work is simply awesome!!
The last point you made Goose was perfect. I couldn't have said it any other way!! the crowds are getting really young and the maturity is not there to handle everything these kids are faced with yet. I know and see too many young kids getting messed up in heavy drugs and not exercising moderation cause they are still immature and have this feeling of invincibility to the world which we all get when we are young teenagers.
I think this scene is best enjoyed when you are 18 - 25 when you start showing respect for your body and know when to say yes and no to certain drugs. Too many kids are messing up alot of good times ahead by ruining all there best opportunities at young ages.
Become a stoner, and learn the ropes of the drug world is a definite yes, but only when you are mature enough and you you get bored of being a stoner should you consider becomming a raver and look for better times in that life style. It worked perfectly for me. I am 20 now, and happy with myself, feel awesome about my body, feel awesome about myself, really understand the ways of PLUR and try to act out the ways of PLUR each and everyday. Furthermore, my bodies knows when it needs a break which is something it didn't know 4 or 5 years ago.
I feel happy that I waited till only a little bit ago and I feel that I am getting the true benefit and enjoyment out of being a raver and acting out PLUR to each and every person i meet from now on.
I LOVE LIFE, I LOVE EVERYBODY NICE, I LOVE ALL BLUELIGHTERS, and ESPECIALLY I LOVE MAKING OTHER PEOPLE FEEL GOOD ABOUT THEMSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Doctor
------------------
If it seems as if I can roll harder than others, it is only because I have rolled on the shoulders of giants

Hey!!!
I love this thread... It's definately not what I expected... I don't have any idea what "type" of raver I am either... And the fact is I don't really care. I'm also really happy to see such a high level of concern for the kidz who are getting involved in this. We spend so much time talking about "those annoying 12 year olds" that sometimes it can get lost that what we do is inherantly dangerous. And that it is also illegal. For me, after doing drugs for about 5 years, I had all but forgotten that I could actually get arrested for buying or selling e, or that you can actually OD on K or coke. The drugs had become such a staple in my life that it just stopped occurring to me... Until I got arrested... And until I wound up in the hospital. Now I've had to cut out all drugs, and in that process I've discovered another type of raver... The "You Have To Get High With Me Raver". I can't tell you the number of times I'll be at a party, and someone will offer me a pill, and when I say no, they'll sit there and try to convince me that it's not gonna hurt me again. I've had people go so far as to offer it to me for free. I'm sure these people fall into some other group already, but they are definately the most irritating to me, but hey, what're ya gonna do? At some point they too will awaken to the ideals represented by PLUR, and then I will have a new friend!
Ashke - Thank you for this thread, I always love reading your thoughts. ***HUGGZ***
PLUR
Tig

I just love what these threads bring out in people.
in all honesty I started into the scene a little too young... but that was a long time ago. I allways thought I was a mature kid... and I guess I was, but I find that now I am MUCH MUCH more mature becasue of all of the situations I found myself in, and the choices I made.
I had my battle with various other drugs, up to, and including coke... I have left it all behind, and now I only do e.. and only occasionaly.
I look back at what I have done in my past, and know now that I would NEVER have done it at my current "level" of maturity... but at the same time, and here's one of my many paradoxes, but it is a part of what made me who I am today.
Though, admitedly, I never did anything REALY stupid, or dangerous... but still... I was once one of those kids staring wide eyed, and SOBER at the walls, marveling at all that was going on at my first rave... and I was a straight edger for a long time, and then I went for it... and sortly thereafter, went a little crazy.
I agree that most people hit the right maturity/age at 18-25 to be raving... but at the same time, I wouldn't have wanted to be starting now...
hehe, I like being old-skool. what can I say... hehe.
Knoledge is power, and experience provides knowledge.
and tigger: yeah I know those ravers... hehe they are the ones who can't have fun unless they are high, and assume that you aren't having fun becasue you aren't high either.
and actauly, they were a group that I forgot... all too often they "look" like real ravers, but are in fact, only know PLUR when they are on E.

It IS frightening to see the young ones get hypnotized and intrigued by the drug elements of the rave scene.
I was one of them. Not a raver, then, but a little girl playing dress up with tight clothing, a tough demeanor, an older circle of friends, and of course indulgence after indulgence... I thought it was maturity, but it was idiocy. I didn't know a thing about what I was really getting into: traps and mistakes that would color the rest of my life. I've said it before, but it seems baffling to me that mistakes made at 14-15 should be allowed to haunt the rest of someone's life. It isn't fair at all.
So yeah. I see the baby fiends at parties too. They scare the hell out of me.
~*~ Ashke ~*~

oh no, what have I done. this random person contacted me on ICQ, I didn't check their profile until after this conversation... only 15 years old.... at least I got the PLUR message across.
can you help me? if i'm gonna do e should i have a soother or something so i don't bite my tongue...do you know?
Goose - yeah, try gum, chew on a straw, some people like to get pacifiers but then people know your on drugs.
okay, thanks for your help.
Goose - no problem, PLUR
plur?
Goose - Peace Love Unity Respect it's a rule to live by.
thanks...later
I thought this was a perfect example of what we were discussing. I was just getting into smoking buds when I was 14/15.
---------edit-------------
I don't think it's bad, I guess I'm just looking at the course my life went and I turned out ok, so I think anyways, I know it's possible to do things differently, in fact it's always good to do things differently. I just worry about some kids, ya know. I want everyone's experience with raves/drugs to be just as good as mine.
------------------
[This message has been edited by Goose (edited 04 January 2000).]

I dunno... Hrm. Is that really so bad tho? And the kid had a responsible question to ask even...
I think it's possible for a 15 year old to handle E, honestly. Maybe depends on the kid, and the guidance they've surrounded themselves with. One pill per babyraver tho, in my personal opinion. They're so teeny they don't need more. This 4 caps bullshit... ugh.
And the next 15 y/o you see putting k/meth/coke/H up their nose please smack them silly for me, kay?
smile.gif

~*~ Ashke ~*~

I admit, I was a little young when I started... but I did TONS of research on the subject before I even CONCIDERED dropping...
I think that the little baby raver who msged goose hasn't done ANY, and that is SCARY!
wehn I didn't know anything about it, I concidered "what is this going to do to me?" and "can I die?" before I wondered "gee, maybe I need something to chew on"
SCARY!

that was very well said....it sums up all my thoughts pretty accurately..
i printed it and hung it on my wall for all my friends to see...they all loved it too..
thanks

I really don't agree w/ the youngins going to parties and doing drugs and shit. Their brains are still "under construction". E, or any other drug for that matter, should, I said SHOULD, not be ingested until at least 19 yrs old. I think any doctor would agree w/ me. I did other stuff when I was 15, like skateboarding, fishing, SCHOOL..lol, whatever. I was also board a lot of the time and took up little bit of drinkin and a little bit of MJ, nothing overboard tho. But, I guess we all go in different directions and different situations arise. I am not saying that its wrong for a 15 yr old to go to raves, i couldn't care less. I just don't agree w/ it.
The whole labeling the different types of ravers thing has had me confused for the past 4 years. I don't understand it. When I lived in Germany there were no bullshit labels given to ravers except by the kind of music they preffered listening to. I think its a crock of shit personally. But if people wanna give other people labels fine, count me out tho. The way i see it, all labels do for us is divide us further. Not everybody has ASHKES great attitude toward all the different types of ravers. Thats why there are so many problems with this group against that group, and that type of shit. Raving isn't about this type and that. Raving is about being together and having a good time, and THATS ALL. Well, whatever, LABELS FUKN SUCK, and in my opinion have NO place in the scene.
LATER!
PLUR!
stepper69

this makes me wanna cry-not because im mushy but because it hurts me to see you all nitpick at every person at a rave. im 14 yrs old. ive done e 3 times. i enjoy it-i dont abuse it. maybe im not "cool" enough for you cuz im not a hardcore partykid who knows every DJ . maybe there are some who've been "sucked in" or whatever you wanna call it but why cant we just let people do what they wanna do and be who they wanna be-if theyre happy being "flavour ravers" then let them-we dont have to respect it and be like them or support it at all but let them be who they are without criticism and judgement. maybe this sounds lame but since my first rave-which was not long ago at all ive seen the world differently-for what it is-not for what i want it to be. i may not like everyone but i figure its a waste to nitpick at them and insult them because if they're happy then who cares? who cares if raves are becoming more mainstream...do you just go to them to be "underground" and "hardcore"? i go because i love the music. i love the people. i love the hugs and kisses and yes, the cute bracelets. it gives me confidence and it somehow makes me see things in a different light. for a period of over a year i was depressed as hell then i became little hippie girl for a while-my best friend got me to do E twice-then i finally went to a rave-i had the time of my life, i found my place i felt like, i felt like i could be accepted for who i was there-i danced without a care in the world[which is very unlike me]-and it made me feel good to give people hugs and kisses. all the happy faces made me feel perfectly at home and at peace with everything in my life-i did get a roll later around 3 and i really came out of my shell then-i talked to people, i gave away a few bracelets of my own and danced my ass off. and im sure youve heard this story a thousand times but i'll say it again. it feels like home to me-its comfortable. and you have to understand that im a very shy girl, very self-concious. everything's changed though-i dont care that im short and skinny anymore-its me and i like it...and i learned that its not your clothes or your dance skills[i have few:)] its about your heart, its about PLUR.

I totaly respect everything that you said, Jenny. and Yes, that is what it is about. totaly. My complaints are with those who do NOT understand PLUR, and who are making it about "being cool" or "being in" and frankly, I *DO* leave them to themselves... but it still annoys me. I try to spread the PLUR as much as I can... hell, I habded out confettii to everyone on new years. But in the process, I got some pretty UN-PLUR people, saying some totaly rude things to me. I didn't let it get me down.
and I am happy that you are feeling so good about everything. Again, that is a part of what it is all about. But, it's starting to become all about something completely different... something VERY UN-PLUR. and THIS is where I start to disagree with things.

Jennykinz.. I would not take offense. I dunno, you don't sound like the type of kid Paradox, Pragmatic, and some of the others were talking about in this thread. You sound more mature than I was at 14, anyway. Even so you should realize that your mind is still developing and the damage of seratonin floods from ecstacy use are probably hurting you more than they would an older Bluelighter. Even so, you present yourself as though you understand the risks, and you show wisdom in your words and your moderation; I can easily respect that. BTW, welcome to Bluelight.
smile.gif

~*~ Ashke ~*~
[This message has been edited by Ashke (edited 05 January 2000).]

Any raver who was a true raver would understand age means nothing. if u judge and look down on young ravers, then u dont know the meaning of PLUR....look at the U, unity doesnt mean people of the same age...it means everyone. and the R means respect....if u cant look at a young raver and saw *aww* i dont know what ur thinkin. i am personally 14 and ive been to my first rave not long ago...me and Jenny (look above) went to it 2gether and it was the best thing that has happend to us....ALL of the older people talked to me, danced with me, gave me hugz and were *very* nice. it really hurts to see someone judge u for ur age...just cause im 14 doesnt mean i dont act mature...its just how long i have been here, i probably know about as much as a 19 or 20 year old. if u judge, ur not a true raver. little raver kids are the ones who are gonna keep it goin. ~laura~