• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Rapid Loperamide assisted detox from massive opiate habit works VERY well!

RC-Lover123

Bluelighter
Hi everyone, I am posting this because I really think that this detox method could help quite a few people overcome massive opiate withdrawal.

background on me: I am 41 years old, a trained biomedical scientist, I have lovely kids, a highly paid job and a successful medical doctor as a wife. In spite of these really good circumstances, I am a full blown addict, usually quite a functional one, though. Used to be hopelessly polytox (benzos, alcohol, amphetamines, research chemicals), which was episodically disastrous and highly dangerous. Thankfully that has slowly changed and I became addicted to opioids and opiates, which has erased the craving for other drugs pretty much completely. Opiate addiction started roughly ten years ago with legally available codeine and DHC from cough syrup, usually combined with some red wine. I was able to manage and control codeine and DHC for a year or two, but when poppy pods and AH7921 (research opioid) entered the scene, I became a full blown addict. I always managed to terminate abuse before becoming deeply physically addicted so that withdrawals were always bad but manageable without any help or substance, pretty much like a flu for a few days. In 2016 I discovered Kratom, which is dirt cheap and completely legal in my country. Got hopelessly addicted to Kratom, used 30-40g per day for three years until it stopped working and only annoyed me. I stopped Kratom in 2020, the withdrawals were pretty much nothing, just annoying, like a flu for a week and some insomnia and minor PAWS for a month or so. I was clean for a year, just drank some beer and wine in the evenings.

In June 2021 I found a nice little poppy field in a local park (no idea who planted them...) and harvested a lot of fresh and strong pods. Got beautifully high on those buggers for a month or so until they were gone. But it had to go on, it was way too good to stop. I then found a reliable and cheap supplier for kilogram amounts of organic dried poppy pods in another European country. To my delight, these turned out to extremely fucking potent, the best poppy material I ever had. I usually need 20g of dried pods for a solid high (without tolerance). With these pods, 10g gave me a solid high for at least 24 hours even with significant tolerance from the fresh pods. The morphine content must have been very high, around 1% or more, given that 10g got me solidly high for more than a day in spite of my tolerance. Making disgusting tea quickly annoyed me so I simply started to wash down very finely ground poppy pod powder with water or coffee every morning on an empty stomach. Worked much better and longer than tea, extended release opium, basically. The sun was shining out of my ass for half a year, great energy, euphoria, socially enhanced, awesome sleep, blissfully opiated on lovely morphine 24/7. Obviously and inevitably, I had to increase the dose and ended up ingesting up to 50g of this very strong poppy powder every single morning. After a full year, the magic was gone, the effect was dulled, boring and side effects became impossible to ignore. I developed myoclonic jerks (involuntary jerks of my shoulder and arms), at first subtle ones but they got worse. My wife said she only ever saw myoclonus in terminally opiated cancer patients on massive opiate doses, which tells you a lot about the amounts of morphine I was ingesting daily. She urged me to stop the poppy pod powder and I knew she was right. I knew the time had come to stop this shit and to do it now. Tapering opioids is death by a thousand cuts for me, can't do that.

The epic withdrawal: I decided to stop cold turkey, at least initially, without anything. I was always curious what full blown opiate withdrawal would feel like and I knew it was about to happen this time. I prepared, though, bought 200 tablets of loperamide and purchased 30 tablets of 200mg Tramadol as a backup option (600-800mg per day kept me more or less functional, I had previously tested that for a few days), just in case things would get too nasty. I also knew for sure that the poppies in our local park were there again, in full bloom and available for picking in case things went south. I arranged for the kids to be with their grandparents for two weeks, hundreds of miles away. Perfect time for this shit. Day one without poppy powder was bad but still manageable. On day two, all hell broke loose. I collapsed, literally, unable to get up for more than a few seconds. Writhing around on the bed or on the floor moaning in pain and agony. Skin on fire, massive pain in legs and lower back, inability to lie still for even a few seconds. Restless legs is the wrong word, it was restless whole body. Psychotic thought trains of distant memories, bombs, war and destruction racing through my tortured brain, heart beating like crazy. The writhing, moaning and rolling around was only interrupted by having to crawl to the toilet to violently puke, retch and shit. After three long long days and nights of this horrific torture like condition I was getting concerned that I might actually die due to severe dehydration or mineral depletion as everything just sprayed out of my mouth and ass. I had to change strategy.

Loperamide, the miracle drug: On day 3 or 4 (don't remember exactly, it is all blurred) of this nightmarish horror, I took 15 loperamide tablets (30mg) with a tiny amount of water and used all willpower I had left to keep it in my stomach. After 2h, I could feel the extreme withdrawal melt away. My body relaxed, the nausea disappeared, restless legs and burning skin got much much better. I was able to get up, drink, eat a banana and some bread. The 30mg of loperamide turned hell on earth into a shitty but bearable, semi functional condition. I was even able to go shopping to buy food and some hard booze to please my tortured and sleepless brain. I then tapered the loperamide by one tablet per day, starting from 15 down to 1 tablet. I had no problems with this tapering as the lope at these dosages does nothing whatsoever for your brain/mind, it just keeps your body working. There was no urge to take more, I could taper the lope unemotionally. Some withdrawal symptoms (aching legs, general weakness and lethargy/fatigue, burning skin) kept popping up again when I dropped to below 5 tablets but much reduced and manageable. The loperamide did not help with the insomnia, anhedonia, dysphoria at all and I could not detect any centrally acting effect, it just rescued my body from withdrawal hell. It is now day 23 since stopping the poppy powder and I don't take anything any more. Diarrhea is present but not that bad. The loperamide is really a game changer, at least for me. It uncouples the mental withdrawal from the nasty peripheral withdrawal, gives your brain time to heal while keeping the body in good condition. Just don't take too much, 20-30mg should suffice, you don't want to suppress withdrawal completely, just take away 50-70% of the physical symptoms. Also, it can apparently act centrally when taken at super high dosage, you can get hooked if you are stupid. It was also shown to cause long QT syndrome at very high dosages, a potentially fatal heart problem, please avoid that. Start tapering immediately, one tablet less every day. I suspect that it does prolong withdrawal somewhat, but I am not sure about this. I have thrown away the Tramadol, I went to the park and looked at the poppy plants but felt nothing but disgust. No craving at all. For now, I am done with morphine and will have to live without much sleep. I can work, take care of the kids and household (my wife is a workaholic, always at the hospital) , it is fucking hard but I can force myself to do it and be a good dad. PAWS will probably suck but I know that I will be fine eventually.

I hope that this might help someone, the loperamide really made a massive difference. The only downside is that it made withdrawal a bit too easy for me, which may lead to relapse as I now know that I can avoid the absolute hell of morphine withdrawal. If I ever have to do it again, I will immediately take the loperamide and begin the taper.

Hi there, thank you so much for sharing this with us. Very handy to know. I'm so glad that you got through it! <3
Thanks! Not through yet, though. Insomnia and lethargy are still quite bad but I expected that. Thankfully, I don't suffer from any depression, dark mood or anxiety, I am just sooooo tired. Should be exercising a lot but I cannot take care of the kids after exercise, it destroys me so much that I have to rest for hours after. I guess shopping, cleaning the house, making dinner and getting the kids washed and into bed are my exercise for now.

Thanks! Not through yet, though. Insomnia and lethargy are still quite bad but I expected that. Thankfully, I don't suffer from any depression, dark mood or anxiety, I am just sooooo tired. Should be exercising a lot but I cannot take care of the kids after exercise, it destroys me so much that I have to rest for hours after. I guess shopping, cleaning the house, making dinner and getting the kids washed and into bed are my exercise for now.
Yes that is enough exertion whilst in withdrawals! 😀 Good on you man, it would be tough to do with kids in the equation. But that is also a great incentive to get straight and stay clean! It sounds like you've got a wonderful woman by your side too?

Yes that is enough exertion whilst in withdrawals! 😀 Good on you man, it would be tough to do with kids in the equation. But that is also a great incentive to get straight and stay clean! It sounds like you've got a wonderful woman by your side too?

Well, we do have issues. She is one tough, smart woman (also quite hot, still fancy her a lot) and not all women like that would put up with an addict like me. She could easily find another man, even with two kids. We've been together for 21 years now, with ups and downs. Right now she is somewhat mad at me, the vicious intensity of my withdrawal totally shocked her. She thought that some plant powder, which obviously left me very functional, lucid and productive (nobody besides her noticed a thing), couldn't be that bad. I never told her that I was ingesting around half a gram of pure morphine with that powder. She wanted to hook me up on an IV drip because she thought I was potentially about to die. I then took the loperamide and she relaxed a bit when I got up, ate some salty food, drank loads of water and got much better. She cannot understand addiction, she thinks it is weak and stupid (she is probably right..), she hates patients with psychological issues and I occasionally (every few years) turn into such a troubled person. I also sometimes lie to her about my drug use, which is stupid because she always finds out. I tried to hide my Kratom addiction, for example. When on holiday in Greece she found my bag of Kratom on the first day, which she washed down the toilet. I had to spend the entire holiday in withdrawal, which was probably a fair punishment. Holiday was still good, Kratom withdrawal was a pleasure compared to other WDs.

Regarding kids: In a sense it is tough but it gives me meaningful and important things to do. Better than watching Netflix all day. Keeps me busy. I could not tolerate being a bad father, must always be there for the kids at all times. My own dad was an alcoholic (which killed him early) and often too far gone to care for us. That must never happen in my family. My woman is probably still with me because she knows and sees that I am always there for the family, even in fucking withdrawal.

Well, we do have issues. She is one tough, smart woman (also quite hot, still fancy her a lot) and not all women like that would put up with an addict like me. She could easily find another man, even with two kids. We've been together for 21 years now, with ups and downs. Right now she is somewhat mad at me, the vicious intensity of my withdrawal totally shocked her. She thought that some plant powder, which obviously left me very functional, lucid and productive (nobody besides her noticed a thing), couldn't be that bad. I never told her that I was ingesting around half a gram of pure morphine with that powder. She wanted to hook me up on an IV drip because she thought I was potentially about to die. I then took the loperamide and she relaxed a bit when I got up, ate some salty food, drank loads of water and got much better. She cannot understand addiction, she thinks it is weak and stupid (she is probably right..), she hates patients with psychological issues and I occasionally (every few years) turn into such a troubled person. I also sometimes lie to her about my drug use, which is stupid because she always finds out. I tried to hide my Kratom addiction, for example. When on holiday in Greece she found my bag of Kratom on the first day, which she washed down the toilet. I had to spend the entire holiday in withdrawal, which was probably a fair punishment. Holiday was still good, Kratom withdrawal was a pleasure compared to other WDs.

Regarding kids: In a sense it is tough but it gives me meaningful and important things to do. Better than watching Netflix all day. Keeps me busy. I could not tolerate being a bad father, must always be there for the kids at all times. My own dad was an alcoholic (which killed him early) and often too far gone to care for us. That must never happen in my family. My woman is probably still with me because she knows and sees that I am always there for the family, even in fucking withdrawal.
Overall, that is great to hear man. You're on the right track, stay on it <3

Hi everyone, I am posting this because I really think that this detox method could help quite a few people overcome massive opiate withdrawal.

background on me: I am 41 years old, a trained biomedical scientist, I have lovely kids, a highly paid job and a successful medical doctor as a wife. In spite of these really good circumstances, I am a full blown addict, usually quite a functional one, though. Used to be hopelessly polytox (benzos, alcohol, amphetamines, research chemicals), which was episodically disastrous and highly dangerous. Thankfully that has slowly changed and I became addicted to opioids and opiates, which has erased the craving for other drugs pretty much completely. Opiate addiction started roughly ten years ago with legally available codeine and DHC from cough syrup, usually combined with some red wine. I was able to manage and control codeine and DHC for a year or two, but when poppy pods and AH7921 (research opioid) entered the scene, I became a full blown addict. I always managed to terminate abuse before becoming deeply physically addicted so that withdrawals were always bad but manageable without any help or substance, pretty much like a flu for a few days. In 2016 I discovered Kratom, which is dirt cheap and completely legal in my country. Got hopelessly addicted to Kratom, used 30-40g per day for three years until it stopped working and only annoyed me. I stopped Kratom in 2020, the withdrawals were pretty much nothing, just annoying, like a flu for a week and some insomnia and minor PAWS for a month or so. I was clean for a year, just drank some beer and wine in the evenings.

In June 2021 I found a nice little poppy field in a local park (no idea who planted them...) and harvested a lot of fresh and strong pods. Got beautifully high on those buggers for a month or so until they were gone. But it had to go on, it was way too good to stop. I then found a reliable and cheap supplier for kilogram amounts of organic dried poppy pods in another European country. To my delight, these turned out to extremely fucking potent, the best poppy material I ever had. I usually need 20g of dried pods for a solid high (without tolerance). With these pods, 10g gave me a solid high for at least 24 hours even with significant tolerance from the fresh pods. The morphine content must have been very high, around 1% or more, given that 10g got me solidly high for more than a day in spite of my tolerance. Making disgusting tea quickly annoyed me so I simply started to wash down very finely ground poppy pod powder with water or coffee every morning on an empty stomach. Worked much better and longer than tea, extended release opium, basically. The sun was shining out of my ass for half a year, great energy, euphoria, socially enhanced, awesome sleep, blissfully opiated on lovely morphine 24/7. Obviously and inevitably, I had to increase the dose and ended up ingesting up to 50g of this very strong poppy powder every single morning. After a full year, the magic was gone, the effect was dulled, boring and side effects became impossible to ignore. I developed myoclonic jerks (involuntary jerks of my shoulder and arms), at first subtle ones but they got worse. My wife said she only ever saw myoclonus in terminally opiated cancer patients on massive opiate doses, which tells you a lot about the amounts of morphine I was ingesting daily. She urged me to stop the poppy pod powder and I knew she was right. I knew the time had come to stop this shit and to do it now. Tapering opioids is death by a thousand cuts for me, can't do that.

The epic withdrawal: I decided to stop cold turkey, at least initially, without anything. I was always curious what full blown opiate withdrawal would feel like and I knew it was about to happen this time. I prepared, though, bought 200 tablets of loperamide and purchased 30 tablets of 200mg Tramadol as a backup option (600-800mg per day kept me more or less functional, I had previously tested that for a few days), just in case things would get too nasty. I also knew for sure that the poppies in our local park were there again, in full bloom and available for picking in case things went south. I arranged for the kids to be with their grandparents for two weeks, hundreds of miles away. Perfect time for this shit. Day one without poppy powder was bad but still manageable. On day two, all hell broke loose. I collapsed, literally, unable to get up for more than a few seconds. Writhing around on the bed or on the floor moaning in pain and agony. Skin on fire, massive pain in legs and lower back, inability to lie still for even a few seconds. Restless legs is the wrong word, it was restless whole body. Psychotic thought trains of distant memories, bombs, war and destruction racing through my tortured brain, heart beating like crazy. The writhing, moaning and rolling around was only interrupted by having to crawl to the toilet to violently puke, retch and shit. After three long long days and nights of this horrific torture like condition I was getting concerned that I might actually die due to severe dehydration or mineral depletion as everything just sprayed out of my mouth and ass. I had to change strategy.

Loperamide, the miracle drug: On day 3 or 4 (don't remember exactly, it is all blurred) of this nightmarish horror, I took 15 loperamide tablets (30mg) with a tiny amount of water and used all willpower I had left to keep it in my stomach. After 2h, I could feel the extreme withdrawal melt away. My body relaxed, the nausea disappeared, restless legs and burning skin got much much better. I was able to get up, drink, eat a banana and some bread. The 30mg of loperamide turned hell on earth into a shitty but bearable, semi functional condition. I was even able to go shopping to buy food and some hard booze to please my tortured and sleepless brain. I then tapered the loperamide by one tablet per day, starting from 15 down to 1 tablet. I had no problems with this tapering as the lope at these dosages does nothing whatsoever for your brain/mind, it just keeps your body working. There was no urge to take more, I could taper the lope unemotionally. Some withdrawal symptoms (aching legs, general weakness and lethargy/fatigue, burning skin) kept popping up again when I dropped to below 5 tablets but much reduced and manageable. The loperamide did not help with the insomnia, anhedonia, dysphoria at all and I could not detect any centrally acting effect, it just rescued my body from withdrawal hell. It is now day 23 since stopping the poppy powder and I don't take anything any more. Diarrhea is present but not that bad. The loperamide is really a game changer, at least for me. It uncouples the mental withdrawal from the nasty peripheral withdrawal, gives your brain time to heal while keeping the body in good condition. Just don't take too much, 20-30mg should suffice, you don't want to suppress withdrawal completely, just take away 50-70% of the physical symptoms. Also, it can apparently act centrally when taken at super high dosage, you can get hooked if you are stupid. It was also shown to cause long QT syndrome at very high dosages, a potentially fatal heart problem, please avoid that. Start tapering immediately, one tablet less every day. I suspect that it does prolong withdrawal somewhat, but I am not sure about this. I have thrown away the Tramadol, I went to the park and looked at the poppy plants but felt nothing but disgust. No craving at all. For now, I am done with morphine and will have to live without much sleep. I can work, take care of the kids and household (my wife is a workaholic, always at the hospital) , it is fucking hard but I can force myself to do it and be a good dad. PAWS will probably suck but I know that I will be fine eventually.

I hope that this might help someone, the loperamide really made a massive difference. The only downside is that it made withdrawal a bit too easy for me, which may lead to relapse as I now know that I can avoid the absolute hell of morphine withdrawal. If I ever have to do it again, I will immediately take the loperamide and begin the taper.
Since I discovered loperamide I've used it successfully to detox for at least 6-8 3-6 month periods of shooting up morphine. If you add gabapentin or Pregabalin to the equation it lowers the intensity of the wds even more and for example lyrica does in fact take care of the anhedonia and all the nerve pain u get to feel. Just no more than a week maximum or then you start getting hooked on em too and gabapentinoid withdrawal feels fucking awful.

Thanks for the input. I have heard this about lyrica before, it apparently works wonders for many opiate addicts. Oddly, I get nothing out of Lyrica, it makes me feel weird and shitty so that I never thought about it for WDs. If Lyrica helps so much, wouldn't the grand big daddy of gabaergics, GHB/GBL work even better? GBL blows away any benzo, booze or pregabalin, it is the only gabaergic that causes clean euphoria and it is 10x stronger than the other crap.

I agree regarding getting hooked on these substances. I was severely hooked on GBL for about half a year or so. One of my more fun episodes but quite chaotic. Withdrawal felt acutely life threatening and it actually is life threatening. It was over in two or three days and could be managed with a few Valium tablets, though.

The worst thing about opiate withdrawal is this fucking insomnia. I haven't slept for more than 2-3 hours per night for three weeks now. I am so tired that I cannot concentrate on my work. I should be reading, reviewing and writing scientific studies right now but I am too tired to really understand what I am reading right now. Certainly unable to review other peoples' work, I have declined all review requests. Thankfully I am the boss and have my own office and the people working for me think that I am really busy writing e-mails or articles when I am instead posting stuff here or on other boards.

Your story sounds so similar to mine, and we're the same age. I was happy on DHC for years until the pandemic messed things up. I've been through H withdrawal, and now need to work out how to get through the same again. The tips here and in the replies are really useful.

I am quite happy to learn that I will probably not suffer much from PAWS or anything. I am still unable to sleep much and still a bit sluggish/lethargic and my body hurts like hell after exercise. BUT, I am not getting any depression, it is the other way around. My brain is waking up from the mild morphine induced depression that had manifested itself over the last few months. Yesterday I had to drive the car a lot to get the kids to a party and sports event, it was a total blast. I turned up the music, sang along loudly to some nice songs, waves of dopamine rush type pleasure running down my spine while doing so. I also met friends the last three days, we had some beers and a good time just talking for hours. I felt so much better than I did a month ago on the poppy stuff. Waves of natural, sober euphoria as the brain fires up those silenced receptor systems again. I am back, at least for now.

All drugs get me somewhat depressed after chronic abuse (Benzos got me clinically, badly depressed!!) and I always got that "I am waking up and feel fucking great" after acute WDs. I am so happy to learn that morphine is no different, I was a bit concerned about PAWS. Seems like I am quite resilient to post abuse issues. I know that cravings and relapse will come back eventually, but that often took a few years for me. And that is okay, I don't have regrets about my poppy use and may use again one day. The true magic will not come back, though, once it is gone it is gone and it will only be there for very brief periods.

do be careful as excess loperamide can do a number on your heart.

also remember, there is more to getting clean than getting clean. that's the first step in a long process that takes hard work. you need to figure out why you were using and address the underlying psychological problems. get help from every avenue available to you.

also remember, there is more to getting clean than getting clean. that's the first step in a long process that takes hard work. you need to figure out why you were using and address the underlying psychological problems. get help from every avenue available to you.
This. Large doses of Imodium can be very dangerous.

I specifically address these dangers in my OP, long QT syndrome, don't megadose. I don't think that 20-30mg taken for a week will do that.

I have never said that I wanted to get clean forever. I just needed to get rid of this poppy habit at this point in time. It wasn't working any more, magic was definitely gone, it got me a bit depressed and cost me money without doing anything good for me. Whenever I feel that an opiate habit is no longer beneficial for my wellbeing, I stop. What's the point in using a drug that makes you feel worse than being sober? Just using to avoid withdrawal is not my style, you gotta stop shit that is hurting you emotionally and that costs you money without benefits.

I know that I will be fine for quite a while now, it is usually a few years until I start using again. Until then, I will just drink moderate amounts of booze (beer and red wine) in the evenings, that is my default mode of existence until I want opiates again. My brain craves "feeling better than just okay or good". That is the reason I am using. I want that optimal state of mind, where everything is just great.

I have to say that poppy/opium/morphine (all the same, I guess) withdrawal is much better than Kratom withdrawal. Sure, the acute withdrawal is in a totally different league but the initially mild Kratom withdrawal really dragged on, gave me PAWS for a month and caused persisting lethargy and mild anhedonia for several months. Libido was gone for good, was not interested in sexual activity for a year or more after Kratom, could hardly get it up properly. There must be other receptor activity with Kratom, causing those persistent symptoms. Nobody knows, but there is literature on serotonin agonist activity of Kratom. It is probably like getting off an opioid and and SSRI all at once.

Now, a month after morphine use, I am starting to feel awesome. Sleep still sucks but everything else is good/great. Hit the gym the last three days (still hurts a bit), strength and motivation are back, libido is raging, LOL, feel like a teenager. My wife noticed that I started getting VERY interested in her again, she was a bit surprised but I know she likes it. Sadly she is still mad at me for using and being a useless POS for a few weeks but I know her well. In a week or two we'll be back in bed to have a go at good old reproduction. She loves being desired too much and I am pretty sure she is still attracted.

The insomnia is still really bad. Slept a "solid" 2hours last night. Awful. Need to reduce caffeine intake, which helps a bit with the fatigue but probably makes things worse. I am determined to just ride it out. I can only strongly advise anyone to not ever fight withdrawal associated insomnia with strong sleeping aids. I tried that for my first Kratom withdrawal, which was actually quite minor. I got myself a bunch of flualprazolam 1mg tablets (A research chem benzo), which is probably the strongest sleep benzo known to man. Far stronger than even flunitrazepam. 1mg knocks you out, 2mg force you into sleep no matter what state you are in. It worked like a charm, I slept for 8h like a rock during acute withdrawal and also afterwards. However, I got badly depressed within weeks, which I blamed on the Kratom WDs. I started taking flunitrazolam, another heavy duty RC Benzo in the morning to make me feel better. To spice up the day a bit, I started washing down the flunitrazolam with two or three ounces of lab grade 99% ethanol, mixed with water in the morning. From that, you can see the level of insanity that the benzo poison got me into. I was a stable Kratom user, no real problems but these two benzos turned me into a mess, I lost control of my life, and quickly so. I realized that at some stage and threw away the benzo stash. Withdrawal was minor, was only two months or so of use, just a bit weak and shaky, I could even go to work. At work, I suddenly collapsed into a full grand mal type seizure, injured my back and the back of my head while crashing into a wall/floor or something. A colleague found me on the floor, cramping, foam coming out of my mouth. When the ambulance came for me, I was already awake and somewhat lucid again but they obviously took me in. I refused any diagnostics at the hospital, told them nothing and was released against the doctors advise after signing some forms. I was given notice that I couldn't drive a car any more for 6 months as I was probably an epileptic, had to get a neurologist to check my brain EEG before driving again. I walked home and stayed in bed in a dark room for a few days, no more seizures, recovered fully without any harm done. My colleagues now think I am an epileptic, which is certainly better than being a fucked up addict. Oh well.....

I learnt my lesson, from then on only loperamide and some booze for opioid WDs. Fuck the insomnia, it is part of the game and needs to be endured.

Excellent read, my man. Thanks for taking the time to share that and I’m glad you’re doing so well.

I’ve never contributed on this site before, but I’m feeling called to share the fact that, five years ago, while attempting to use loperamide to detox, I damn near died. The heart issue is very real, and I’m a guy who has run four half marathons. It’s hard to say how many I’d taken. I’d been taking it for longer than anticipated, essentially replacing one addiction for another for a month or two — stupid, I know. The number was certainly more than the 15 mentioned in this story. Twice as many, maybe. Maybe more. Again, stupid. Obviously. The very abridged version is that I slumped over onto the couch and my mother started giving me CPR. The ambulance came, the life flight helicopter— I was in the ICU for six days, and in a medically-induced coma for three of them. The doctors gave me CPR 11 different times. The one doctor told my sister that if my heart could keep me alive for 54 more hours, I’d probably be out of the woods. 54 long-ass hours for her, my mom, my friends. By all accounts, I *should* have died. I’m very lucky to be here. I’d read a cautionary tale or two on forums like these, but there was some question as to the veracity of those. Please, please believe that it’s a very real risk, and please be careful.

PS - I later learned that the same week I was in the ICU, another guy about my age was in there for the same thing. He didn’t make it.

Excellent read, my man. Thanks for taking the time to share that and I’m glad you’re doing so well.

I’ve never contributed on this site before, but I’m feeling called to share the fact that, five years ago, while attempting to use loperamide to detox, I damn near died. The heart issue is very real, and I’m a guy who has run four half marathons. It’s hard to say how many I’d taken. I’d been taking it for longer than anticipated, essentially replacing one addiction for another for a month or two — stupid, I know. The number was certainly more than the 15 mentioned in this story. Twice as many, maybe. Maybe more. Again, stupid. Obviously. The very abridged version is that I slumped over onto the couch and my mother started giving me CPR. The ambulance came, the life flight helicopter— I was in the ICU for six days, and in a medically-induced coma for three of them. The doctors gave me CPR 11 different times. The one doctor told my sister that if my heart could keep me alive for 54 more hours, I’d probably be out of the woods. 54 long-ass hours for her, my mom, my friends. By all accounts, I *should* have died. I’m very lucky to be here. I’d read a cautionary tale or two on forums like these, but there was some question as to the veracity of those. Please, please believe that it’s a very real risk, and please be careful.

PS - I later learned that the same week I was in the ICU, another guy about my age was in there for the same thing. He didn’t make it.

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for sharing. And yeah, I could tell from the effect of much lower dosages of loperamide that it is probably possible to completely erase withdrawal with higher dosages, thereby getting yourself into bad trouble. Also, with the long half life of loperamide (between 9 and 20 hours), the stuff keeps building up in your system quite a bit. I noticed that days 2 , 3 and 4 on the loperamide were much better than day 1, which was probably exactly this effect of loperamide levels building up in my body. That's why I suggested to really limit the amount and to start the taper immediately. You don't want to ingest 50 or 100mg of this stuff daily for longer periods. It is a powerful tool to ease out of a heavy opiate problem but it really needs to be used in moderation and with a tightly controlled/defined taper plan. However, as I stated above, the taper with loperamide is really easy compared to tapering the real deal. I tried to taper the poppy powder several times but found it impossible. Whenever the reduced morphine dose hit my brain it started screaming "more, I need more, I know you've got more, just one more day, please...." and I always acted accordingly. With the loperamide, the brain didn't get anything out of it so I could just drop the dose each day without even thinking much about it. In the end, the tapering just gives you a bit of diarrhea and some mild lingering withdrawal symptoms pop up again, really no big deal.

I should add that I am still feeling somewhat shitty, I am tired, lethargic and unmotivated but not depressed, sad or anxious or anything serious. No cravings whatsoever, so far. Just somewhat useless, lazy and not 100% fit mentally. Body is fit again, hitting the gym hard and muscles and strength came roaring back alongside my libido/testosterone, the body is not the problem here it is the mind that is still affected. I don't know whether that is lingering withdrawal, PAWS or just lack of proper sleep. I sleep for 4-5h per night but that is only possible with some booze and a tiny joint of 50:50 mix of real weed and CBD weed. Proper weed makes me all paranoid and freaks me out but mixed with the CBD stuff it puts me to sleep without a racing heart and paranoid thoughts. Without anything, I just sleep for 2-3h, which really sucks. Not yet sure whether the weed is good for me because I am still super tired after the 4-5h of sleep it helps to induce/prolong. Seems to suppress dreams as I don't remember any dreams whereas I was dreaming weird stuff all the time whenever I got some sleep.