View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

randomly smelling/tasting DMT?

CrypticArc

Bluelighter
After smoking DMT, I get that distinct offensively strong horrible plastic/mothball taste and smell. At first I thought maybe I had breathed it out onto my hair (i have long hair), so I washed my hair and surprise, it didn't go away. I thought I was going crazy so I asked my friend, who's smoked it more than me, and he claims it happens to him constantly. I've asked others, and confirmed that they also have this happen to them. Why does this happen?

No fucking idea but it happens to me all the time. It's reeeeally weird. Every time I smoke it, I smell it for days or weeks afterwards, no matter where I am or how much I wash myself or my clothes.

happened to me too, i thought i could smell it on certain types of leaves etc, i could smell it in a specific room in a house i was living in and thought that certain mugs smelt like it. i guess the smell is so potent that there are still molecules of it or whatever stuck inside your nasal airways or something. iv never come across a smell as sticky as dmt. i think it will probably go away in a short amount of time.

I used to think it was just stuck to me too but I'm not so sure, because like you said, I smell it on CERTAIN plants and in CERTAIN places, regardless of what I'm wearing or whatever. I feel like if it was just in my nose or throat then I would just smell it on everything. Mmm how I love that smell.

I always used to notice it when I walked through a certain doorway. That's really odd. It doesn't seem possible, considering we didn't smoke near that doorway.

Indoles like dmt occur a lot in nature. I came by a couple of trees the other day that smelled like dmt, it's a really distinct smell. I always wonder if anyone else around recognises it, that would make for a nice chance meeting.

Among other things indoles occur in faeces so that would explain why some people really don't like the fragrance. I've become a bit paranoid about my breath after a friend told me I literally smelled like shit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indole

Bingo! ^

I once came across a list of plants that had thus far been found to contain DMT. The list was long. VERY long. The list of grasses alone, was very long.

Bearing that in mind, I often smell DMT in flowers, leaves as described above, on damp days in spring & autumn near to the Thames, & sometimes, even in the drain! I am quite certain that I am not imagining it, I don't even like DMT that much, but the odour is very distinctive & once you're familiar with it, you don't forget it! I always smell it is the same places & the same times of year so I am convinced it is present in some bush or flower or grass or all of the above!

So we have about half of our explanation but what about when you smell it from inside a house or somewhere that there couldn't possibly be indoles in a high enough concentration to smell?

So we have about half of our explanation but what about when you smell it from inside a house or somewhere that there couldn't possibly be indoles in a high enough concentration to smell?

Well you could check through the window and if you see any Alex Grey posters for instance that indole concentration might just be high enough to smell.

I don't know much about how our sense of smell works, I do know that aroma therapy works quite well and in a very subtle way too, maybe we don't need high concentrations of a substance for our smell to be activated? I can also imagine that, given how well our sense of smell works in bringing up memories, and how radical the dmt experience is, that the faintest indole fragrance would bring up very strong emotions and memories. (just speculating)

Yep, the concentration does not need to be significant for us to pick up on the smell. The human nose is pretty powerful. Mmmm, indoles..