• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Random Poppy Plant Q's

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
I'm super curious about the mechanism of the plant that it developed over time. I've actually been wondering about the plant for an incredibly long time now (moderators feel free to relocate this thread if it's in the wrong place).

My questions are:

- Why does the plant contain alkloids that resemble natural endorphins? Is this totally a coincidence? If the plant wants to slow down your respiratory system via cutting off the oxygen to your brain then why would it possess materials that make you feel good?

-Is this defense mechanism also so that animals don't eat the entire pod (thus only a part of it so seeds can be spread all over by several animals instead)?

-And have people been able to genetically modify the plant to become more "dank" and possess way more alkloids than others?

Fascinated by this stuff.

It must be a defense mechanism? Like how thc in weed is?

Off topic but when I went to rehab we found a big bunch of poppy plants growing in the overgrown back garden of the males house 😂 one of the guys in there for H picked a load of pods and was trying to extract the milky stuff but one of the alcoholics grassed him up to one of the counselors lol (snitch cunt)
Can't believe they let them grow there. It was a shit rehab though tbh, fully understaffed

It must be a defense mechanism? Like how thc in weed is?

Off topic but when I went to rehab we found a big bunch of poppy plants growing in the overgrown back garden of the males house 😂 one of the guys in there for H picked a load of pods and was trying to extract the milky stuff but one of the alcoholics grassed him up to one of the counselors lol (snitch cunt)
Can't believe they let them grow there. It was a shit rehab though tbh, fully understaffed

I'm so sorry. I know what a major score that would be to find in rehab. Proof that alcohol is the WORST drug.

I agree that it is a defense mechanism. I just don't understand why the plant wants to kill you for eating it while simultaneously making you feel fantastic. There must be some sort of intelligence in that design. I'd just like to know why it does both those things lol.

I believe it is indeed a defense mechanism. Think about this thick sticky sap which exudes upon trying to eat the reproductive part of the plant, for bugs it intoxicates and gums their legs up.

Same seems to go for many other psychoactive plants. While many want to give human like attributes to these psychoactive plants, in reality theyre just trying their best to survive like we all are..

-GC

And have people been able to genetically modify the plant to become more "dank" and possess way more alkloids than others?

Yes, pharma companies have produced their own proprietary poppies. These were actually designed to be less dank, ironically, by reducing the morphine content and increasing the thebaine content, since thebaine on its own isn't much fun but it's what they use to synthesise oxycodone.

But yet in Tasmania where I believe those get planted, they get stolen all the fucking time lol.

Can't take the magic outta the poppy. Can't stop a junkie getting high either.

They have clandestine methods they use to try and synthesise good shit from the poppies which supposedly have reduced morphine content.

In fact there's an interesting Vice doc on this in the Czech Republic, you can watch below. The pods they use here have been genetically altered to have a low alkaloid content. But you can see the junkies still using them to cook up morphine shots anyway.

Yes, pharma companies have produced their own proprietary poppies. These were actually designed to be less dank, ironically, by reducing the morphine content and increasing the thebaine content, since thebaine on its own isn't much fun but it's what they use to synthesise oxycodone.

But yet in Tasmania where I believe those get planted, they get stolen all the fucking time lol.

They have clandestine methods they use to try and synthesise good shit from the poppies which supposedly have reduced morphine content.

In fact there's an interesting Vice doc on this in the Czech Republic, you can watch below. The pods they use here have been genetically altered to have a low alkaloid content. But you can see the junkies still using them to cook up morphine shots anyway.

In the Czech Republic them poppies have not been genetically modified to produce less morphine, they are in fact just average opium poppies, the Czech government just lies so people don't steal/use them more and the US/UN don't butt their nosey fucking noses in.
They grow it for the seeds there but it produces morphine and like average opium it will be 12% morphine.

In Europe and the UK GM crops are licensed and grow in doors with certain security precautions so they don't escape and fuck up the biodiversity.

Yea that was interesting to watch, I really like that interviewer too compared to Hamilton. Just as I suspected no Diacetylmorphine found in the sample at the end. There’s just way too much water for the acetylation to take place.

They likely enjoy it simply cuz it’s a high potency form of morphine and codeine which gives a good high IV that is hard to tell apart from H for these guys.

Now if they were smart they’d bring some benzoic acid with them ;)

-GC

Yea that was interesting to watch, I really like that interviewer too compared to Hamilton. Just as I suspected no Diacetylmorphine found in the sample at the end. There’s just way too much water for the acetylation to take place.

They likely enjoy it simply cuz it’s a high potency form of morphine and codeine which gives a good high IV that is hard to tell apart from H for these guys.

Now if they were smart they’d bring some benzoic acid with them ;)

-GC
They're using vinegar, it's not strong enough.

They should invest in some micron-filters instead of mopping up the opium with the guaze and then cotton filtering it, their method is asking for abcesses or anaphylactic shock from the plant material and dirt it's picked up left in the opium gum.

Why benzoic acid?

Where I live in North East England there's loads growing, both wild and in people's gardens.
I often see missing capsules/pods when they're ready to harvest and wonder if someone is using them or if it's just kids ripping them off or people potentially using them for arts and crafts when they're dried out.

They're using vinegar, it's not strong enough.

They should invest in some micron-filters instead of mopping up the opium with the guaze and then cotton filtering it, their method is asking for abcesses or anaphylactic shock from the plant material and dirt it's picked up left in the opium gum.

Why benzoic acid?

Where I live in North East England there's loads growing, both wild and in people's gardens.
I often see missing capsules/pods when they're ready to harvest and wonder if someone is using them or if it's just kids ripping them off or people potentially using them for arts and crafts when they're dried out.

Exactly, water fucks up the esterfication. I also agree I would never put that shit in my veins.

Benzoic acid is easy to obtain, and can much more easily produce the mono benzoyl ester of morphine, 6-mono benzoylmorphine. This drug is nearly identical to heroin and even easier to purify since benzoic acid isn’t very water soluble. It’s something that could actually be made in the camping conditions we see.

If I had access to that many poppies I’d never worry about opiates again, 1-2 nights of harvesting pods, head home and be set til next year...

If they were smart they’d be collecting and storing them.

Not anything I’d recommend just if I was still an addict I’d probably do it..

-GC

It's definitely a defense mechanism. Why does it make us feel good? Because psychoactive plants cannot account for humans. Peppers are spicy as a defense, but humans like to eat them because they taste good to us and people like me love spicy food. Caffeine is a poison to many animals, but its effects are useful to people. Poppy plants are fatally intoxicating to smaller animals and insects, but not entirely fatal to us evolved apes.

Humans are irrational, and nature is built entirely on logic. As evolved life forms we can beat nature because we process it differently.

(Apparently) Not all pharmaceutical cultivars contain low morphine and high thebaine, some were bred to produce the opposite. I'm not sure where I read it and it's most probably a rumour but some people claim certain cultivars were diverted from pharmaceutical supply. One example is that Laurens grape with its unusually high morphine content was diverted from Bayer seeds stock grown in Spain. Who knows, but it would make sense that they also grow for morphine production, its gotta come from somewhere.

It's definitely a defense mechanism. Why does it make us feel good? Because psychoactive plants cannot account for humans. Peppers are spicy as a defense, but humans like to eat them because they taste good to us and people like me love spicy food. Caffeine is a poison to many animals, but its effects are useful to people. Poppy plants are fatally intoxicating to smaller animals and insects, but not entirely fatal to us evolved apes.

Humans are irrational, and nature is built entirely on logic. As evolved life forms we can beat nature because we process it differently.

So your argument is that the plant material mimicking the brain's endorphins is purely coincidence if I'm reading this post correctly. Apparently we like spicy food because peppers have large amount of vitamin C so we've learned to enjoy the pain a bit. I agree with you on that part.

I watched that. They were essentially adding vinegar to crude Opium, cooking it, and filtering it through cotton to inject impure Morphine.

Awfully dicey, but they seemed to fare okay.

So your argument is that the plant material mimicking the brain's endorphins is purely coincidence if I'm reading this post correctly. Apparently we like spicy food because peppers have large amount of vitamin C so we've learned to enjoy the pain a bit. I agree with you on that part.

Well I guess it would depend on your view of evolution. I think plants such as poppies evolved over time to defend themselves passively which ends up being the production of a chemical that effects the chemistry of whatever attacks it. The coincidence of it being that the way it effects animals is pleasurable as well as harmful.

That would be my best guess, I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert. I think it's more likely than a plant purposely evolving to be pleasurable/fit out chemistry upon ingestion. Hope that makes sense

Well I guess it would depend on your view of evolution. I think plants such as poppies evolved over time to defend themselves passively which ends up being the production of a chemical that effects the chemistry of whatever attacks it. The coincidence of it being that the way it effects animals is pleasurable as well as harmful.

That would be my best guess, I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert. I think it's more likely than a plant purposely evolving to be pleasurable/fit out chemistry upon ingestion. Hope that makes sense
Haha okay thanks! I did some research into my own questions on google.. seems like the plant's painkilling properties have been around for obscenely long. It didn't really change it's design that much or evolve. I suppose any reasoning beyond a theory would not be able to describe why it also makes one feel good when consumed besides that it's purely coincidental.

My tin foil hat theory is though is that only certain animals can eat the plant--so it wants to make them feel pleasure because those particular animals are actually able to spread the seeds around nicely while animals that easily die when consuming the plant are incapable of spreading the seeds. Is this insane? lol

Haha okay thanks! I did some research into my own questions on google.. seems like the plant's painkilling properties have been around for obscenely long. It didn't really change it's design that much or evolve. I suppose any reasoning beyond a theory would not be able to describe why it also makes one feel good when consumed besides that it's purely coincidental.

My tin foil hat theory is though is that only certain animals can eat the plant--so it wants to make them feel pleasure because those particular animals are actually able to spread the seeds around nicely while animals that easily die when consuming the plant are incapable of spreading the seeds. Is this insane? lol

That's an interesting theory I hadn't thought of, but I could totally see it! But yeah opium is like the oldest drug in human history. Morphine was isolated in the mid 1800s iirc but there are records of it being used since ancient Greece (where the term morphine even comes from the Greek myth of "morpheus"), Rome, and Egypt. It's cool as fuck.

I too once kind of believed this ideology, Micheal Pollan has a documentary where he seems to make similar claims, almost as if the plants want us to consume them so they can thrive via cultivation. While he is a smart man, I’m just not sure I buy it..

We as humans like to attached human attributes to all living things around us. While I’m sure plants don’t mind being cultivated they definitely weren’t planning on it.

Also the effects of many psychoactive plants came about from careful breeding over many years to bring out the most potent strains. That’s us doing the work not them.

Idk in the end I think these are just natural defenses that just happen to meld with our biology well... And some defenses happen to be pleasurable in the right amounts.

-GC

I too once kind of believed this ideology, Micheal Pollan has a documentary where he seems to make similar claims, almost as if the plants want us to consume them so they can thrive via cultivation. While he is a smart man, I’m just not sure I buy it..

We as humans like to attached human attributes to all living things around us. While I’m sure plants don’t mind being cultivated they definitely weren’t planning on it.

Also the effects of many psychoactive plants came about from careful breeding over many years to bring out the most potent strains. That’s us doing the work not them.

Idk in the end I think these are just natural defenses that just happen to meld with our biology well... And some defenses happen to be pleasurable in the right amounts.

-GC

A lot of psychoactive plants like psychedelic mushrooms, weed, etc do not necessarily possess effects that are related to pure pleasure like opium though. The poppy plant naturally grows alkloids that resemble our natural feel good endorphins and affect animals large enough to survive the plant's potency just as well. It could be purely coincidental, I just don't think it is though personally!

The painkiller properties could simply be self defense though (but not the oh my god I'm so high this is amazing part). Since it slows down the limbic system to suppress breathing rate, I do think it's coincidental that it also kills pain. Well either way, I'm sure many wish the plant didn't exist while the other half of humanity bows down to its existence like a god :)

A lot of psychoactive plants like psychedelic mushrooms, weed, etc do not necessarily possess effects that are related to pure pleasure like opium though. The poppy plant naturally grows alkloids that resemble our natural feel good endorphins and affect animals large enough to survive the plant's potency just as well. It could be purely coincidental, I just don't think it is though personally!

The painkiller properties could simply be self defense though (but not the oh my god I'm so high this is amazing part). Since it slows down the limbic system to suppress breathing rate, I do think it's coincidental that it also kills pain. Well either way, I'm sure many wish the plant didn't exist while the other half of humanity bows down to its existence like a god :)

We have naturally occurring cannabinoids as well as CB receptors, so technically the same can be said about weed. As for psychedelics we still don't fully understand how they work but they behave much like serotonin.

What would be the alternative to naturally occurring coincidence though? Are you implying some kind of intelligent design?

The only natural drugs I’m maybe willing accept intelligent design with are psychedelics like mushrooms and DMT. Many mushrooms are potent as is with no human breeding involved, and DMT is... well DMT.

As you said devilsgospel we also have CB receptors and believe it or not people the runners high is actually a mix of endocannabinoids and endorphins not simply endorphins like most think.

I believe this is why cannabis and opiates are drugs people very easily start to use daily/habitually as they both closely mimic systems already in place for pain management and mood regulation.

-GC