• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

R vs S methadone

tantric

Bluelighter
Maintenance methadone is the racemic mixture, correct? I have this idea that the S enantiomer is an NMDA antagonist like ibogaine and that the efficacy of the treatment was partly due to this. Is that true? I can't find anything on S+methadone alone. Is it possible that patients are given RS to keep them coming back when S would effect an actual cure?

Statistically speaking there's no difference in effects between e.g. 10mg of DL-methadone and 5mg of L-methadone(ref), that is, the "inactive" D-isomer is not strong enough to provide much effect.

Most methadone is the mixture of D and L due to it being the cheapest synthesis & established standard.

I don't think methadone has ever supposed to be a "cure" a la ibogaine either, it's maintenance therapy at best.

Any reports anywhere of a human experience with the S? If it's an NDMA antagonist - I'm the idiot who did the first reports on MK801 back in the 90's, so I assume that kind of foolheartiness is still out there...

What I meant was that perhaps dextromethadone acts like some other NDMA antagonists, lowering tolerance, reducing euphoria of opiates while potentiating painkilling effects, all the stuff from the co-administering ketamine and morphine literature.

Would you mind linking me to the reports you speak of for MK801