• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Quitting weed?

^ Marijuana is highley addictive. Physical w/d is not what I am talking about. Addiction is more complex and the mental aspect is always the worse.

Remember that thread where there was a lady from some addiction prevention center looking for information on the forums, and everyone bitched her out, saying pot wasn't in the slightest addicting?

Well, this thread probably would have been much more useful to her. :) Good thread.

i didn't see that thread but it'd been great if she'd gotten these replies and actually tried to tom implement some of the good methods that really work and really HELP the person. if only rehabilitation centers tried to make the life of the person better, which is what helps in quitting weed (for whatever personal reasons). well, that might be what we get if ever weed is legalised and its demon status is changed to a realistic scientific one for the majority of people.

I have smoked weed for 17 years. I am 32 years old. For about 3 years I did coke LSD meth and anything else I could get my hands on. I became addicted to meth. I quit it by moving away and throwing my phone away and making it impossible for me to get anything. After about 6 months I overcame my addiction to hard drugs. I still find weed to be my crutch and find it the most difficult thing to stop. I use it as an anti depressant and sort of nerve pill. I even smoked cigarettes for 11 years and quit that too but weed just seems to be the one thing that I seem to need. Physically I start to sweat alot more, I am less hungry, and insomnia. Mentally I stay agitated and find everything to be quite boring. I can go about 12 hrs without smoking then I become a mess. I wish anyone who wants to quit the best of luck, I on the other hand wish it was legalized and that they had a better way of testing people to see if its recently been used. What I do on the weekends is my business as long as I stay professional while working.

I always want to quit, before I come down and realize that I am unacceptably insane without it. But with the right intent, even an insane person can learn to smoke less weed and benefit from doing so. Use versus abuse. It is very easily possible to be an abuser of weed, and suffer the consequences of drug abuse to your body, so it is best to just try and smoke a little weed to avoid that instead of using it day in day out. The long term side effects can take years to develop, but they do exist - the anxiety can be torture - and being complacent as a heavy stoner today does not mean you will be able to keep doing so in the future. And imagine a life without drugs. How lame is that. Health should not be taken for granted, and a vaporizer is no excuse to go through an eighth a day.

For myself, taking a break requires something to snap me out of the habit. Otherwise, I'll just keep on smoking weed. A health problem, running out of money, a major failure or defeat in life that happened when I was really baked and burnt out is usually enough to do the trick, at least for a couple weeks. However, once that catalyst is initialized, and I am past that initial burnout phase from the extended high, then taking a break from weed always comes with a lot of positives in my life. Then when I have been feeling great for awhile I usually start wanting to get high again - at which time, weed is different than it was before, I'm not as hooked for the moment, the positives once again outweigh the negatives, at least in my warped pot adoring mind, and the cycle continues. It's just the 2 weeks of physical withdrawal that make my life miserable, then after that I don't really need weed anymore (but always seem to go back to it).

The age old debate between going cold turkey, and slowly tapering off. Still haven't figured it out, probably never will. But at least I only smoke pot now and stay away from the harder shit; taking stuff stronger than weed is like shooting yourself in the foot. You never know what the side effects could be. Sure I'm still a big doper, but a few years ago I was much worse off than that and things have greatly improved since then. Even the holy herb comes with its risks to your mental and physical well being in the long term, take something stronger even a handful of times and you're asking for trouble, especially that street chemical nonsense. Even smoking too much weed all day without having respect for it or ever limiting yourself is eventually going to completely fucking ruin your life after awhile, you'll lose all your soul and creativity and focus with no easy way out, hear it from someone who has been at it for a decade. I am essentially fucked. But simultaneously, I'm still here and I'm still enjoying that herb, so what do ya do. Everyone has their issues and obsessions, otherwise you would have merged with the ultimate cosmic nature of the universe by now, and ceased the old cycle of death and rebirth. Don't take my word for it, I can't pretend to understand that shit. It's a tough life smokin' all that weed, but somebody's gotta live it. There may be some negative aspects to repeating the experience excessively, but I am still more against not smoking weed than I am for abusing it. It softens the ego, which is always a plus. It's important to be chill, and that's hard when you're a dope fiend without a nice kush and jack herer stash on hand at all times.

Last edited:
Great thread. Everyone's situation varies. How much u smoke, how long, money situation, mental health, job, responsibilities, age, other vices, friends, other hobbies, and on and on.

I gave up bout 6 months ago after 25+ years. At the end bout 1/2 z a month of top shelf. Mostly diesel or Kush etc. the boredom is hard. So was finding pleasure in the simple things. For me, I really thought I would never b able to b content doing simple things again. Like watch tv or going to the park. I wrapped so much of my identity and thoughts of well being around thinking I needed to be high or id never b happy. It scared the hell out of me, cause I knew I had to stop. Was so mad at myself and wallowed in self-pity. Hard stuff to change your identity. But there was no other way. Hardest thing I ever did. Worst month of my life, but I'm proud of it and am better man for having gone through it. I realized after that I was fooling myself and I didn't need it to be happy. I just reached that point.

I was on the bad side of the spectrum and struggled with other psychological problems. I had to quit and really leaned on weed hard. I think it was harder for me then it would have been for most heavy burners. Maybe not. I don't know. I broke down hard. Couple tips that helped me huge. Exercise, therapy, hobbies, friends that don't smoke, anti-depressants (if u need them), meditation, cognitive behavioral therapy, Patience, more exercise, and a medication called gabapentine and an OTC supplement called N-acetyl cysteine. Godspeed

Marijuana isn't addictive unless you are getting stuff that is laced with other things, then it could be addictive -- you'll know if you ever smoked laced Marijuana. As far as WDs, no one I know has ever really had them other then a loss of appetite, which was more like returning to a normal eating habit instead of eating a ton of food at once... The only advice I would give is to stay busy, it'll keep you from getting bored & deciding to smoke...most people tend to start smoking a lot just because they are bored & when they stop they get tempted to smoke again because they smoked out of boredom.... Drink lots of water to stay hydrated, make yourself eat at least three standard meals a day (breakfast, lunch, & dinner) even if it's just a small amount of food -- you have to eat. Let your friends know you no longer want to smoke so that way they know not to offer any marijuana to you or ask you to smoke. If you think of smoking because you are bored just ask yourself "why do I want to smoke? what does smoking do for me?" & tell yourself "I have better things to do with my time & money instead of wasting it on marijuana". Also, get rid if anything you used for smoking marijuana (spoon/bubbler/vape/bong/chillum/papers/etc) that way you don't have anything to smoke out of & you won't be reminded of wanting to smoke by seeing the items. It's all about controlling yourself because marijuana isn't addictive. Good luck! :)