• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Quitting weed?

Fohat

Bluelighter
Have any of you tried to quit weed before? If so, why? How hard was it for you? Any withdrawal symptoms?

I'm trying to quit for religious reasons. I have had physical withdrawal before, but not from intentionally trying to quit: this one summer I bought a LOT of weed and was pretty much stoned constantly for a month and a half, and when I quit I had night-sweats, food was unappealing, was a bit irritable, etc. - nothing dramatic or whatever and it was totally gone after a week or so.

At this point my usage is a lot more mild. I probably get high about five times a week on average, though it varies from three times a day to only once a week depending on access. It has been hard for me to quit though. It's like, I've just become so used to looking forward to that feeling and the act of getting high, it's just become an unduly important part of my life. A powdered, green Teraphim which, I feel, is a huge roadblock I've set up between myself and God.

I think this is mostly due to depression though. Now I'm taking SJW (the depression is "mild" - miserable no doubt but I'm still able to do things, and even the latest, less-favorable studies say that SJW is indeed effective for mild depression) and will be going into cognitive-behavioral therapy. Hopefully once I get the depression under control I will find it easier to do without my stinky dried flowers.

So anyway, yeah, like the original paragraph said: why'd you quit, how'd it go for you, anybody actually having trouble quitting, etc.

What is SJW? St. John's Wort?

More power to you if it works for you but St. John's Wort just made me VERY angry, agitated, and did not do anything for me with depression or anxiety. SSRIs and therapy seemed to work better IME.

I have quit but it was to find work and because I smoked it on/off for about almost 9-10 years.

When I quit I was not smoking daily or a few times a week, but I didn't get withdrawl symptoms but I did want to get high and I just kept busy with work, hobbies, exercise, and other things.

For the oral fixation as I love to smoke like the ritual of lighting up herb, inhaling from a J/bowl/1 hitter, and toking it, and have things in my mouth I just chewed a lot of gum.

W/S - Sleeplessness, irritability, sweats, mood swings, boredom.

Boredom is the worst. I've never succeeded for longer than week but it's what gets me the most. Was hell bent on quitting a fortnight ago, went nearly a week, have relapsed now and am back in the mix.

I take Phenergan for the sleeplessness.

I have quit smoking weed (not permanently of course) several times.

The first time: I was 18, I had smoked over a gram of pot a day for 6 months. I quit because I was going to be a summer camp counselor all summer. I was tired, moody, couldn't sleep and could not eat. The withdrawal effects I had lasted about a week.

The second time: I started to smoke again about half way though the summer. After smoking a lot for about a month and a half I quit for 4 months. I quit quite simply because I moved to a new town and did not know any dealer and was too shy to make new connections. I had no withdrawal symptoms at all and it was a piece of cake to stop smoking.

The "I don't know"th time: I smoked a few grams a day for a period of about 5 months. I then quit for familial reasons and because my tolerance was through the roof. A 1 gram blunt would have me stoned for a half hour at the most. It was easy as pie once again to stop smoking.

I now smoke casually. I avoid smoking to the point where I have any sort of tolerance. Some weeks I smoke three days, others I smoke more, some I smoke less. I do however take at least 3 days off of smoking each week, its usually more. It has been months since I've smoked more than 2 grams in a week.

Work out, find new (or old, I stopped my old ones once I found pot) hobbies, nurture relationships with people who are straight edge, smoke cigarettes, get a pet to take care of, join a book club. Seek counsel or therapy, begin drug therapy (therapy by drugs i.e. SSRI's), go to AA. These kinds of things should all help you quit smoking weed.

Work out, find new (or old, I stopped my old ones once I found pot) hobbies, nurture relationships with people who are straight edge, smoke cigarettes, get a pet to take care of, join a book club. Seek counsel or therapy, begin drug therapy (therapy by drugs i.e. SSRI's), go to AA. These kinds of things should all help you quit smoking weed.

Good advice. Like other posters have said, profound boredom is the hardest problem to deal with and you have to find enjoyable activities and ways of thinking to replace the weed.

nurture relationships with people who are straight edge

That seems to be one of the most important parts right there. If you can find a person who you get along with well that doesn't (or hardly ever) smokes or does other drugs, it'll come a lot easier to you.

I wouldn't worry about too much besides the boredom. I haven't ever heard of anyone getting serious sleep deprivation/anxiety from quitting smoking, considering THC isn't technically physically addicting. However, it'll probably still be a little harder than you would hope. Exercise, get some hobbies, go out and party with your (non weed-smoking) friends, etc.

Im going to start a break as soon as school starts ( only have 15 days to smoke D: ) and by Christmas vacations starts again... OMG im gonna be soo stoned :D

I did quit weed on a few occasions. The last time being the most painful of all. My use was getting out of control because I was self-medicating with the stuff. Eventually I did quit cold turkey. For a month or two I felt mild withdrawal symptoms. Mostly psychologic. Amotivation, feeling empty and helpless just to name a few.

In the end, quitting weed just like quitting tobacco is not that hard, it's much harder not to relapse!

ive quit twice for long periods of time. nothing happened negatively minus the fact that the first week or so i didnt know what to do with myself because when i got bored i smoked weed previously. lol

you'll be fine, hell my pot head friend stopped a week ago and he is doing just fine too. just need a small amount of will power

I've quit many, many times.

Sometimes I've been away for years.

You need to consider closely your reasons for quitting. You mentioned religion, Fohat. Whatever works, I suppose.

When it comes to drugs (including alcohol) I sometimes consider whether the person I know who is using too much has a life to go back to when they decide to quit. If there are things you've stopped doing because of smoking, that means you get to discover them again later. That's a big plus. I have all sorts of things to do in life, so once I decide to quit and clear my head, I get back to doing those things and it's good.

Once I'm clear of the pot or hash, the trick is to keep away from it. Someone mentioned non- dope-smoking friends. Excellent idea. Nowadays, I can't drink so that means when I don't smoke I'm totally sober in social situations. It was really tough to get comfortable with that at first, but it's a bit better now and I can at least see how to make it work - I don't get involved in long soda water (my poison !) sessions with friends who are drinking, and it helps to plan things to do early the next day so there is less temptation to smoke.

I still smoke a bit more than I want to, and I might be able to correct that by buying a smaller amount. I usually agree with myself to just smoke what I buy and not replace it very quickly when it is gone. Like....go straight for a couple of months or so. And I don't smoke much anymore. A joint will easily last me a week. It's usually just one hit a night. I find the second one just makes it harder to feel fresh the next day.

I quite a 2oz/week habit not lonmg ago. As I really needed to (mammoth anxiety and paranoia), it was easier.

In the past I've found it VERY difficult; not the not-smoking part, just the physical withdrawal- nausea to the point of vomiting, anxiety, shaking, sweats, uber-intense dreams....The best way to quit is ONLY when you truly want to; otherwise it is difficult. I would say weed withdrawal is mild in an objective sense; theres no danger involved, and the symptons themselves aren't extreme; but subjectively, it can feel VERY bad.

That said, its easily done with the right intent. :)

I've on/off quitted many times

a week here, a month there, but my tolerance is always back in the sky after a few days. The hardest part about quitting weed isn't the stopping smoking, it's the fucking crippling loneliness that comes from having nothing in common with your friends apart from your abilities to inhale plants...

i had trouble quitting weed until the negatives started to outweigh the positives.

it started making me extremely self conscious, paranoid, anxious, etc, still loved the high though for music and creativity enhancement. i just said fuck it though, i have no friends because i'm so caught in my fucking head and can't talk to anyone.

when i didn't have those negatives though it was impossible to quit other than for piss tests because i saw no good reason to.

i haven't smoked since july 3rd, my anxiety is a LOT better, although i've also started buspar which seems like a good med (despite being pretty much universally shit on on most forums i've seen.)

I quit weed last year, First off I cut down not because I wanted to or anything just because I found weed to be well... boring I tend to argue to myself about stupid things for example I would get an itch on my arm, Would start thinking about the itch, why the itch was there, the meaning of the itch and weather the itch has any life span

So I got this every time I smoked instead of being happy and giggly talking crap Id sit there and feel like I was paying to waist my life and I have always stuck by If I don't enjoy it Its not worth it

So I just went cold turkey pretty much every now and again I would have a toke to see if it was the same as last time, it was so I would then not smoke it unless my insomia gotten really really bad
I miss how it used to make me feel but Dont miss how it makes me feel now, I cant get back into enjoying it how I did ethier because the weed I get is way too strong for me anyways and I just sleep instantly and alot of the times I feel like I am stoned even though I am not :S

Hope this helps at all xXx I wish you luck.

i stopped 4 years ago for 2 years coz it made me paranoid, and had no w/d symptoms whatever....

I'm trying to quit for religious reasons...

Facepalm14.gif

WEED IS THE DEVIL!!!!!11111

devilsharvest.jpg

Here's my take on quitting weed. When I was younger and daily smoker the thought of going a day without weed was frightening. I'd go way out of my way to ge a bag. I'd smoke several times a day and did that for years. Then as I got older I had to quit for reasons and would take 1-2 months off. I'd set a date and found it easy. No problem sleeping or anything really. But if I didn't want to stop and just couldn't get a bag I'd be bugging out. It's all in the mindset. On the same note if I were trying to get to a bank and it closed before I got there I'd be bugging out too. So it's really the frustration, not the actual stopping that causes panic. I see no withdrawal symptoms with weed other than what our own minds can do to themselves. These days smoking is an occasional thing. So getting older caused less smoking almost naturally without even trying. I think the added responsibility of holding a job and paying a morgage leads to more anxiety attacks then when we are young and drinking beer in the woods and smoking. Weed is still one of the best spiritual medicines there is though but it works better only on occasions rather than several times daily.

And I thought I smoked alot of pot 8o

Yeah but at that point weed is not really worth it. I got up to an eight a day and the effects were so subtle the it was not worth the money anymore. I like smoking weed when I smoke not that much even daily if i keep it down to .5g then I still enjoy getting high.

Remember that thread where there was a lady from some addiction prevention center looking for information on the forums, and everyone bitched her out, saying pot wasn't in the slightest addicting?

Well, this thread probably would have been much more useful to her. :) Good thread.