• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Quitting valium, help please

Lofot30

Greenlighter
OK, so I have been going to the doctor because I wanted to quit my xanax abuse.

For approximantly 1 month I have been going from 5 valium a day. (5mg pills) Now I'm at 3.5 pills a day (still 5mg valium pills) but I'm tired of going to the doctor for the pee tests because it's so hard for me to pee, even when I'm at home. And the doctor is far away.

I started going to the doctor because I got seizures when I tried to quit xanax.

I have 43 (5mg pills) left and I was wondering if I could, take 1 pill a day for some time, and then 1/2 a pill a day for some time, and then 1/4 a day for some time. Without getting zeisures. I dont care about the other WD symptoms. I managed to quit heroin on my own so WD symptoms don't bother me.
except for seizures. After a seizure attack I feel like shitt for days. And I know It can be dangerous.

if you have any other alternative methods for me with my 43 (5mg valium) pills, so not to get seizures. All the other WD symptoms I can handle. Or is the plan I wrote down okay for not getting seizures?

Any tips and awnsers is appreciated:)

Last edited:
OK, so I have been going to the doctor because I wanted to quit my xanax abuse.

For approximantly 1 month I have been going from 5 valium a day. (5mg pills) Now I'm at 3.5 pills a day (still 5mg valium pills) but I'm tired of going to the doctor for the pee tests because it's so hard for me to pee, even when I'm at home. And the doctor is far away.

I started going to the doctor because I got seizures when I tried to quit xanax.

I have 43 (5mg pills) left and I was wondering if I could, take 1 pill a day for some time, and then 1/2 a pill a day for some time, and then 1/4 a day for some time. Without getting zeisures. I dont care about the other WD symptoms. I managed to quit heroin on my own so WD symptoms don't bother me.
except for seizures. After a seizure attack I feel like shitt for days. And I know It can be dangerous.

if you have any other alternative methods for me with my 43 (5mg valium) pills, so not to get seizures. All the other WD symptoms I can handle. Or is the plan I wrote down okay for not getting seizures?

Any tips and awnsers is appreciated:)

So you had seizures from benzo wd but not heroin?

5mg--2.5mg--1.25mg diazepam is very mild. I won't even say by how much (of various benzos) I've decreased without ever having a seizure. Xanax is sort of in a class of its own because of its rapid onset and short half life.

the ashton manual is considered best practise for benzo withdrawal.

none of us can guarantee you will or won't get seizures,as the seizure threshold depends on multiple things and we aren't doctors. i totally get it being a pain to go to the dr, but is that worth risking biting your toungue off, brain damage, or whatever other horrendous problems seizures can cause?

if it took you a month to get from 25 to 17.5 mg per day, i don't think jumping straight down to 5 mg per day is a good idea.

So you had seizures from benzo wd but not heroin?

5mg--2.5mg--1.25mg diazepam is very mild. I won't even say by how much (of various benzos) I've decreased without ever having a seizure. Xanax is sort of in a class of its own because of its rapid onset and short half life.
No, quitting heroin was horrible but I used methadone (bought from the street) and plugged it, and did so for some weeks until I was on 5mg a day.

I have been using xanax for much longer though, years. But in periods. But then I started getting seizures on day 2 without any benzo.
I lost count on how many. I never know I had them, but my gf always told me right after when she could tell I was back (if you understand what i mean by back)

I'm on valium. Now I'm supposed to take 15mg a day. I have been in valium for over a month now (prescribed) I started on 30mg a day. But that was most likely to low of a dosage because I had pretty bad withdrawals. No zeisures tho, which is what I care about. Not getting zeisures.
The other withdrawals I can handle. The depression and what not.

But I'm tired of the valium. So I have now gone straight from 15mg a day to 5mg a day. (Even though my prescription says 15mg a. They are 5mg pills. So 1.5 pills in the morning and the evening)
I'm realy seceptable to seizures I have found out. I guess Because of retarded me would easily eat 15mg -30mg xanax a day for a long period. And it was after doing that on and of for a long while the seizures started.

But now me going straight from 15mg a day to 5mg a day. And maby go on 5mg a day for 1 week then 2.5mg for 1 week. I will not get seizures right? Because even if its "quite a taper jump, so no" as my doctor called it when I asked if I couldn't taper faster then just 0.5mg every other week.

Sorry for a very jumbled post :p

the ashton manual is considered best practise for benzo withdrawal.

none of us can guarantee you will or won't get seizures,as the seizure threshold depends on multiple things and we aren't doctors. i totally get it being a pain to go to the dr, but is that worth risking biting your toungue off, brain damage, or whatever other horrendous problems seizures can cause?

if it took you a month to get from 25 to 17.5 mg per day, i don't think jumping straight down to 5 mg per day is a good idea.
I know you can't guarante, I was just hoping someone might know abit more then me and possibly enlighten me

if you are really susceptible to seizures and know the dangers they pose, then why are you taking this risk? if you've already made the jump, which it sounds like you have, then i guess you'll know very soon whether or not it was a bad idea.

what are your plans for after you've finished this taper? i.e. how are you going to make sure you don't end up back in the same position again? are you getting any psychological help? doing meetings?

No, quitting heroin was horrible but I used methadone (bought from the street) and plugged it, and did so for some weeks until I was on 5mg a day.

I have been using xanax for much longer though, years. But in periods. But then I started getting seizures on day 2 without any benzo.
I lost count on how many. I never know I had them, but my gf always told me right after when she could tell I was back (if you understand what i mean by back)

I'm on valium. Now I'm supposed to take 15mg a day. I have been in valium for over a month now (prescribed) I started on 30mg a day. But that was most likely to low of a dosage because I had pretty bad withdrawals. No zeisures tho, which is what I care about. Not getting zeisures.
The other withdrawals I can handle. The depression and what not.

But I'm tired of the valium. So I have now gone straight from 15mg a day to 5mg a day. (Even though my prescription says 15mg a. They are 5mg pills. So 1.5 pills in the morning and the evening)
I'm realy seceptable to seizures I have found out. I guess Because of retarded me would easily eat 15mg -30mg xanax a day for a long period. And it was after doing that on and of for a long while the seizures started.

But now me going straight from 15mg a day to 5mg a day. And maby go on 5mg a day for 1 week then 2.5mg for 1 week. I will not get seizures right? Because even if its "quite a taper jump, so no" as my doctor called it when I asked if I couldn't taper faster then just 0.5mg every other week.

Sorry for a very jumbled post :p
Why are you stopping the valium? Is your doctor cutting off your supply, I'm guessing because the goal was to get you off xanax and then taper down the valium, is that right? Does your doctor know about your seizure risk? If not, it is extremely important that you tell them about this. They should either keep you on valium for long enough to do a very long, very slow taper, or put you on an anti-seizure medication and maybe even run some tests to check for underlying causes?

This is a screenshot of the page of the Ashton Manual that will be most helpful, but have a read through the whole thing:
lmj0Jkj.jpeg

if you are really susceptible to seizures and know the dangers they pose, then why are you taking this risk? if you've already made the jump, which it sounds like you have, then i guess you'll know very soon whether or not it was a bad idea.

what are your plans for after you've finished this taper? i.e. how are you going to make sure you don't end up back in the same position again? are you getting any psychological help? doing meetings?
I have done the jump yes. I'm just tired of being a junky uknow. And it took a while before I got awnsers here so I just took the chance.

Yeah I'm going to meet a psych starting the 11th this month.
How I don't end up in the same position ? If you are very determined to quit it will be easier. I know this for a fact because I used to be a speed/meth junky for some years. And one day I just quit that shit and was clean for 6 months. Then I started smoking weed again because that is something I probably never gonna quit. Smoking a joint after work is super nice, uknow. (I'm not smoking weed now tho)
But then my best friend died of sudden hearth failure during his sleep (not overdose, I know because of the toxicology screening the doctors did on his body) then I started not giving a fuck and began with heroin and lots of xanax. (So retarded, I know. But loosing one of your only friends, who also was my best friend, fucked me up emotionally. )but now I'm just tired of being a junky and determained to quit this shit.
I quit heroin on my own and still going strong. So I'm not afraid of a rebound on benzoes. Just the seizures, but I wanna get off the valium as fast as possible (which I'm prescribed)

Why are you stopping the valium? Is your doctor cutting off your supply, I'm guessing because the goal was to get you off xanax and then taper down the valium, is that right? Does your doctor know about your seizure risk? If not, it is extremely important that you tell them about this. They should either keep you on valium for long enough to do a very long, very slow taper, or put you on an anti-seizure medication and maybe even run some tests to check for underlying causes?

This is a screenshot of the page of the Ashton Manual that will be most helpful, but have a read through the whole thing:
lmj0Jkj.jpeg
No the doc is still prescribing me. I just wanna get the fuck off that shitt as fast as possible. I remember when I tried to get of xanax without the doctors help. I would go from 15-30mg xanax a day, and straight down to 2mg a day. I never got seizures. But then after 1 -2 weeks on 1-2mg xanax a day I would get a seizure on day 2.
That is why in wondering if it wouldn't be possible for me to just take 5mg valium a day for 1- 2 weeks maby, then 2.5mg a day for 1-2 weeks.

I have done the jump yes. I'm just tired of being a junky uknow. And it took a while before I got awnsers here so I just took the chance.

Yeah I'm going to meet a psych starting the 11th this month.
How I don't end up in the same position ? If you are very determined to quit it will be easier. I know this for a fact because I used to be a speed/meth junky for some years. And one day I just quit that shit and was clean for 6 months. Then I started smoking weed again because that is something I probably never gonna quit. Smoking a joint after work is super nice, uknow. (I'm not smoking weed now tho)
But then my best friend died of sudden hearth failure during his sleep (not overdose, I know because of the toxicology screening the doctors did on his body) then I started not giving a fuck and began with heroin and lots of xanax. (So retarded, I know. But loosing one of your only friends, who also was my best friend, fucked me up emotionally. )but now I'm just tired of being a junky and determained to quit this shit.
I quit heroin on my own and still going strong. So I'm not afraid of a rebound on benzoes. Just the seizures, but I wanna get off the valium as fast as possible (which I'm prescribed)
My best friend died 6 years ago, so I understand. It totally fucked me up too, for years. I'm much better now though. I hope you're getting through it, in terms of your grief. This is going to sound cliché but it is the truth: Your friend really would not want you to be suffering. They would be so fucking proud of the effort you're making to get clean <3

My best friend died 6 years ago, so I understand. It totally fucked me up too, for years. I'm much better now though. I hope you're getting through it, in terms of your grief. This is going to sound cliché but it is the truth: Your friend really would not want you to be suffering. They would be so fucking proud of the effort you're making to get clean <3
Thank you, for your kind words <3 they are much appreciated :)
And I'm so sorry to hear about your friend too </3

Thank you, for your kind words <3 they are much appreciated :)
And I'm so sorry to hear about your friend too </3
Thank you so much <3 It feels so unfair when we have to go through a pain like this huh. No one should ever have to experience such heartbreak. But...it is an inevitable part of loving people and having meaningful relationships. I remember the turning point in my grief journey where I was able to see it that way, and smile, instead of just bawl.