• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Quitting/Tapering Thread.

Well.. Pretty ashamed to say I only went 10 days and used again. It wasnt because the cravings were too overwhelming.. My willpower was just weak.

I can acknowledge that a 10 day break is better than none, but pretty lame all the same.

We are a working household but only just keeping on top of the bills. To think I could have serviced my car and done the Xmas shopping with what Ive spent in the last month makes me so ashamed.

So I reused on 1st Nov, and have a couple of points now being 1st Dec. Just deleted my dealers number (for now). I have his email but at least thats harder to make impulsive arrangements with. I have asked him not to contact me til after Xmas at least. Id never just rock up to his door unannounced either so should be ok for a month this time.

So glad its just my brain saying use.. If my body was screaming for it too my battle would be harder.

So gonna enjoy the first day of Summer getting on it, then try again. Like they say "If at first you dont succeed.."

Don't be too hard on yourself popeye, meth is a fucking tough one. I reckon 10 days is awesome. I really do think the more times you quit, the better you get at it too - because you can learn something every time. It's easy to get down on yourself and think, oh I've never been able to stay off, but I think if you treat each time you stop as a learning experience, you can get used to the feelings that arise when you stop and learn how you can best deal with them. All the best <3

Appreciate the support Footscrazy. I guess at least now I have a record of 10 days to beat.

On the positive I got outside and did a heap of work in the garden (bit of a fire hazard out there).. So achieved something, but now trying to rehydrate as I have a killer headache.

Warm days and physical exhursion are not my thing.. :-S

Putting at least a few weeks between my meth use has been harder than I thought it would be.

Its suprising me just how little will power I actually have.

I read on here something about a test of your addiction is could you board a plane to another country, no DOC available and be ok.. Well I know I could. Recently went away (granted only for a few days) and I knew it was not an issue.

The issue is I am spending too much of our surplus funds, I can hardly afford a flight to Tassie.

Its not useful either when I go to get 2 points and get given 4 and told I can sort it later. My mate who is my dealer, appears to be adopting more 'dealer' traits than 'mate' traits.

I will keep putting things in place, and hope for some success eventually.

Just adding.. Called the bank and put in place both myself and my boyfriend need to sign to withdraw from our main account. I have been draining the homeloan surplus (which I pay anyway) and allowing us to only scrape by from pay to pay. It feels weird to have to use these methods, but I figure I need to keep putting hurdles in my own way.

Last edited:
12 days without picking up the pipe... AND counting.

Wish I could say its due to my strong will, mainly due to unavailability. Its funny when your at the stage I am at, NOT being able to score is kinda bitter sweet.

Good work popeye...not being able to score could be a blessing in disguise. I think if you're able to hold on for a couple more weeks, you'll turn a corner and find it's easier and easier not to get on. Good luck <3

It's nice to see someone really giving it a go popeye, you've been doing pretty well and I don't think anyone who tries to quit something (except for maybe those self discipline freaks, fuck those bastards) gets it right first time. Kudos to you my friend. I've given up giving up, I really tried really hard but I just don't have the discipline or the willpower to be able to get clean let alone stay clean. I've resorted to managing my addiction in a way that doesn't totally wreck my life. I find that if I'm completely honest with myself and look at things realistically rather than idealistically I can make far better judgements and decisions. At the moment I'm using pst say 4-5 days a week and heroin the rest, depending on various things like money, cravings, work, spare time etc. it's going ok so far, I'm definitely a lot better than I was and my self image has improved as well as my outlook on the future. Id rather be a functioning addict than a failing one any day. The worse thing that has happened since I quit quitting is my girlfriend of 5 years and I have split up, we just finalised it last night. She can't live with the idea of me being high or on drugs all the time, she said it just doesn't feel right being with me if I am which I can totally understand as much as It hurts. It's going to be a tough few months I think, breaking up with a girl I really love and care about and who loves and cares about me (which makes it really weird and tough) also my new job hasn't had work for me so I'm broke again and I have some serious debt that needs to be taken care of (not drug debt, I just don't go there) which is going to be tricky. But mostly breaking up with my girlfriend, life is certainly not fair and love is a cunt. And so are drugs, fuck you heroin you horrible beautiful son of a bitch, if you had a face I'd kiss it then smash it in with a rock.

Sorry about you and your girlfriend cassandragemini Hopefully in time maybe your need to be with her will overshadow your need for drugs. Easy for an outsider to say, but I hope things work out.

I cant believe my boyfriend has tolerated my and my use this long. I risk ruining a lot if I dont change. I get skitz over little shit (hard living with people, drugs or no drugs but).

On a helpful note for me.. My dealer wants to stop dealing. Wants to get his shit together too. Its amazing how many lives he could help, by helping himself.

I wont source elsewhere else, only have one other contact but its family so would rather not. Just cant be stuffed with all the running around. I had it good with my guy for well over 5 years, I am seriously hoping its the end of that era.

Have to admit, got some pot given too me, first smoke in prob 2 years. Helping me to chillax a bit ;-)

Its now 1am, so starting day 17 meth free.

Last edited:
I stopped taking drugs for about 2 years after almost weekly use (mainly MDMA). Not sure how I did it, just kept myself busy with other things, also had a gf which made me forget the need for it, and I also decided that I needed to focus on getting somewhere in life. Now that things started to look better, took some a couple of months ago at a gig for the first time in those 2 years and it was almost like the first time again!

Anyway that was a long story cut short, definitely won't be abusing it again like I used to, will keep it for special events ;)

I have found the way to detox off opiates with little or no withdrawal I am now 12 days clean. I found a post that stated that if you take a low dose of methadone for 5 days (30mg) about the time it takes to get through withdrawal. And quit methadone because you do not want to take it for more than 7 days or you will have a worse problem. Because you will have to spend your life savings getting off methadone and still have to go through 10 times the withdrawal pain. The average person on opiates the withdrawal only lasts 5 days get on methadone you are looking at months in withdrawal. SO DO NOT take it for more than 6 days. A long story short almost no withdrawal for me it works just try it.

Day 18 - Cant say a day goes by without thinking about smoking meth however I had forgotton where my pipe was so thats good.. or really bad - maybe my brain IS fried 8o

If it was actually available I would doubt I would say no, but feels good to be getting paid today - and not blowing the lot on gear in 2 days.

Good luck 5000m keep on trying. Mine was for this year to be drug free too but failed in the first week. Thats why there are 52 weeks in a year :\

The cravings definitely will diminish over time. Although I do still get the occasional craving 2 years down the track, it's more just reminiscing about the 'old days' rather than really wanting to get back on. They don't hold any sort of power over me anymore.

Your doing a superb job popeye, 18 days off it is a top achievement. You can do this for sure :)

Hi guys, just after some advice. My best mates got in deep with his shard usage.

He knows he has a problem, but is stuck in a cycle of once he feels better, he hits the pipe again.

He's pritty adamant too that going cold turkey is no chance, I think he just uses this exuse to keep using.

Just some advice on how I could help him out without him getting pissed with me, or not tell me the truth.

He's getting a lot of anxiety and is one of those people that never see doctors, not for anything.

Still have not used. Must be over 30 days now. Starting to see the funds improving.

Captain Brewster he is lucky to have a mate looking out for him, however I personally feel, that unfortunately the turning of that corner can only be made when the user is ready to do it for themselves. Stand by him if you can for as long as you can, good luck

^ Sensational, popeye! How are you feeling?

popeyes mate said:
unfortunately the turning of that corner can only be made when the user is ready to do it for themselves. Stand by him if you can for as long as you can, good luck

Agree 100%.

Yeah, will do. Thanks for the replies.

Will be keeping an eye on him, there's a part of him that is really worried about how far in he is. But he's getting good at turning a blind eye to it.

I sorta freaked out last week, bit of a shock when he called wanting some help. He's one of my mates I thought this wouldn't happen to.

But anyway, life goes on and like you's say, I can only do what I can.

Hey

I've tapered off benzo's more times than i could count - xanax and valium. Xanax i went from 1-2mg daily to zero in about 5 weeks with no really unpleasant episodes. Did that after basically having a seizure when stopping cold turkey. Valium is easier as it has a longer half life and ive done it lots of times, usually go from 10mg daily to zero in about 3 weeks. Both i do by cutting the pills into quarters or smaller using a pill spliter and reducing by the smallest increments i can produce, even to the point where i am chipping off a chunk the size of a crumb.

Cigarettes - fuck it, just go cold turkey, seriously its not that bad. Patches and gum etc just delay the inevitable. And the worst is over after only about 3 days. Really not that bad.

Alcohol - surprisingly difficult due to the habitual side of the drug (ie associating times and events with having a drink). Although i've never been a fullblown alcoholic in terms of drinking all day every day. Warning though as you all know, alcohol cold turkey is bad and can actually kill you if its bad enough. I drank nearly every night for a year or so and found breaking that routine was a BITCH. In the end it was just a stay in a hospital where i couldn't drink which stoped the habit.

I've heard meth is a bitch too and i've certainly watched my dealer go downhill gradually. It is my favourite drug too, and it does get a hold of me sometimes but it is purely psychological. Luckily i can't afford a habit, or at least can't bring myself to do the things i would have to to have a habit. The city i live in had a BAD heroin flood for ages and i watched a LOT of people go down the drain on that stuff too, but those i know who have come off successfully it did cold turkey and without help, and all said that it is made out to be worse than it is in films like trainspotting etc, and in actual fact its more like just having a severe flu for a week or so.

But yeah tapering benzos is the way to go. Benzo cold turkey SUCKS!!

it is made out to be worse than it is in films like trainspotting etc, and in actual fact its more like just having a severe flu for a week or so.

That 'severe flu for a week' is the easy part, however, compared to the prolonged, unrelenting, soul-crushing aftermath which some call PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome).

The mental aspect of getting off H or other hard opiates after long-term use is harder by far than the physical hell of the initial physiological stage.

But hey, as you say above, it's benzo cold turkey that is the real horror. Tapering is the only way to go when it's time to get off the benzo wagon.