• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering Quitting Oxycodone

narcoticANALgesic;)

Greenlighter
So I've been on around 30-45mg/day for the past year. Tried to taper down a couple times, but, seeing as I have zero willpower without external pressure, that didn't work. Recently, I got a liver enzymes test back, and I'm showing signs of damage. I'd like to quit while it's still reversible. I had my last dose at around 2am last night (15 hours ago). It's been pretty shitty: time is dragging, body hurts, all that. The symptoms I'm having are classed as mild withdrawal according to COWS. How much worse is it gonna get? What can I do to make it suck a little less?

I've been taking clonidine to mitigate the discomfort a bit, vitamin C, and Ativan for anxiety. Once I start shitting myself and throwing up all over the place, I'll probably throw dramamine and Imodium in there too.

I still have "bailout" oxy for if WD gets too bad. If it were to come to that, how much would that set me back in terms of detox, and at what point would it be reasonable to take it?

So I've been on around 30-45mg/day for the past year. Tried to taper down a couple times, but, seeing as I have zero willpower without external pressure, that didn't work. Recently, I got a liver enzymes test back, and I'm showing signs of damage. I'd like to quit while it's still reversible. I had my last dose at around 2am last night (15 hours ago). It's been pretty shitty: time is dragging, body hurts, all that. The symptoms I'm having are classed as mild withdrawal according to COWS. How much worse is it gonna get? What can I do to make it suck a little less?

I've been taking clonidine to mitigate the discomfort a bit, vitamin C, and Ativan for anxiety. Once I start shitting myself and throwing up all over the place, I'll probably throw dramamine and Imodium in there too.

I still have "bailout" oxy for if WD gets too bad. If it were to come to that, how much would that set me back in terms of detox, and at what point would it be reasonable to take it?
Were the oxycodone prescribed? And if so, what for? I understand if you're not able to answer the second question in any kind of detail. But it would be helpful to know if you were taking real oxycodone, and not something like Fentanyl, or whether you were being prescribed a certain amount and supplementing with a different source.

Sounds like you've been through this situation before, from your knowledge & preparation.

If you can feel like it go to the store and pick up some Pepto Bismol as well as milk of magnesia. Especially if you take the loperamide in larger than recommended doses. The supplies you got on will really reduce your suffering.

High liver enzyme test can be caused by so many things, I'm not discounting it but the liver is one of the most miraculous organs in the body in terms of being able to regenerate itself.

Get some n-acetylcysteine (NAC) available at health food stores for decades. It's a precursor to the amino acid glutathione and is a powerful detoxifier. It's a powerful antioxidant and a specific remedy for certain types of poisonings....But you might have to go online, I had a really hard time finding it in freeform gel caps. Since it is processed as food unless you take it on an empty stomach the Whole Foods sustained release version, while better than nothing, is a substandard product.
It has a very wide safety range, and is in fact exactly what they give people who overdose on acetaminophen.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Polish_20210619_000405054.jpg

Polish_20210619_000048291.jpg

Were the oxycodone prescribed? And if so, what for? I understand if you're not able to answer the second question in any kind of detail. But it would be helpful to know if you were taking real oxycodone, and not something like Fentanyl, or whether you were being prescribed a certain amount and supplementing with a different source.

Sounds like you've been through this situation before, from your knowledge & preparation.

If you can feel like it go to the store and pick up some Pepto Bismol as well as milk of magnesia. Especially if you take the loperamide in larger than recommended doses. The supplies you got on will really reduce your suffering.

High liver enzyme test can be caused by so many things, I'm not discounting it but the liver is one of the most miraculous organs in the body in terms of being able to regenerate itself.

Get some n-acetylcysteine (NAC) available at health food stores for decades. It's a precursor to the amino acid glutathione and is a powerful detoxifier. It's a powerful antioxidant and a specific remedy for certain types of poisonings....But you might have to go online, I had a really hard time finding it in freeform gel caps. Since it is processed as food unless you take it on an empty stomach the Whole Foods sustained release version, while better than nothing, is a substandard product.
It has a very wide safety range, and is in fact exactly what they give people who overdose on acetaminophen.

Appreciate the info, friend. NAC sounds promising and I'll definitely look into it. The oxycodone weren't prescribed to me, but they were prescribed to a friend of mine who has born with a whole myriad of disorders/disabilities that I don't know enough about to go into, so they weren't cut with anything else. I haven't been through this before- I just start to read a lot when I'm scared to do something lol.

Appreciate the info, friend. NAC sounds promising and I'll definitely look into it. The oxycodone weren't prescribed to me, but they were prescribed to a friend of mine who has born with a whole myriad of disorders/disabilities that I don't know enough about to go into, so they weren't cut with anything else. I haven't been through this before- I just start to read a lot when I'm scared to do something lol.
Well that certainly is an indicator but I recommend you go to some of the threads on fake generic pills which were an eye-opener to me a little over a month ago. Sure hope they're 5 or 10 mg... even with the acetaminophen (percocet). That would be the good news. And for the same reason that counterfeit $5 & $10 bills are rarer.

The bad news if they turn out to be real is that you can't sue your friends doctor for malpractice

@narcoticANALgesic;) welcome to Bluelight <3 I hope you manage to find the info you're looking for on here, and I sincerely wish you all the best for getting clean off the oxys.

Did you manage to taper down your dosage at all? Or are you going cold turkey off 35-40mg/day?

Oxycodone won't elevate liver enzymes on a blood test (especially at those doses). If they are 5mg pills compounded with acetaminophen and you are taking 4+ grams of acetaminophen daily that might do it. If you are taking the oxycodone in an oxycodone-only formulation and you have elevated liver enzymes something else is going on. If they are very elevated you should get an MRI. Who ordered the bloodwork anyhow?

Oxycodone acute withdrawal lasts about 8 days but the post acute lasts for longer. Perhaps get some kratom if you can't manage. I'd recommend 4g of red strain kratom ever 4-6 hours for 4-5 days.

^^ Ahhh yes, I meant to address that as well.
@narcoticANALgesic;) the oxycodone use alone will not cause liver damage. If you've got early signs of liver damage there is something else causing it. Are they Percocets or plain oxycodone? Do you drink alcohol?

Once I start shitting myself and throwing up all over the place
It probably won't get that bad to be honest. You will have some diarrhoea but it will most likely be containable. Even during my worst opiate withdrawals I never once vomited or shat myself uncontrollably. It won't be like Trainspotting.

I second this, NAC is AMAZING for a lot of things.

Grab some before its banned!!! (if not already)

I bought 3 bottles of x90 to stock up

@narcoticANALgesic;) the oxycodone use alone will not cause liver damage. If you've got early signs of liver damage there is something else causing it. Are they Percocets or plain oxycodone? Do you drink alcohol?

It probably won't get that bad to be honest. You will have some diarrhoea but it will most likely be containable. Even during my worst opiate withdrawals I never once vomited or shat myself uncontrollably. It won't be like Trainspotting.
When i quit 350-400mg of oxy/day cold Turkey there was way too much explosive diarrhea. Don't recall puking though. Baaaad insomnia. Crawling out of my own skin and shit. Rls

Oxycodone won't elevate liver enzymes on a blood test (especially at those doses). If they are 5mg pills compounded with acetaminophen and you are taking 4+ grams of acetaminophen daily that might do it. If you are taking the oxycodone in an oxycodone-only formulation and you have elevated liver enzymes something else is going on. If they are very elevated you should get an MRI. Who ordered the bloodwork anyhow?

Oxycodone acute withdrawal lasts about 8 days but the post acute lasts for longer. Perhaps get some kratom if you can't manage. I'd recommend 4g of red strain kratom ever 4-6 hours for 4-5 days.
Nothing like that- about 1.2g of acetaminophen max when I'd be taking 10/325s, but a lot of the time they'd be Oxy-HCl 30s. I went in for bloodwork because my upper right abdomen was hurting. They're not very elevated (around 1.75x more than normal). The elevation's considered mild, so they said all I have to do is just lifestyle adjustments and supplements. I have shitty genetics when it comes to liver health, though. My dad was either born with, or developed a liver disease very young, so that, shitty eating habits, lack of exercise, and drug use might play a part.

@narcoticANALgesic;) welcome to Bluelight <3 I hope you manage to find the info you're looking for on here, and I sincerely wish you all the best for getting clean off the oxys.

Did you manage to taper down your dosage at all? Or are you going cold turkey off 35-40mg/day?
Thank you friend <3 I've been a lurker for a while, but I'm happy I joined. So far it's been a very cool, accepting community. So the initial plan was to go cold turkey. At around 4am last night, though, after 3 hours of tossing around unable to sleep, it hit me that if I pull all-nighters for the next however many days its all just gonna be shittier, so I let myself have 5mg to fall asleep. Now the plan is to get my body used to 5mg once per 24+ hours, do that for a week, taper some more to 2.5mg right before bed, and then fully get off of that the next week.

A bit of both. I'd say 70% of the time plain oxy, 30% of the time Percocet. I don't drink alcohol. Used to pretty heavily a few years ago, but then I started getting really terrible hangover anxiety about a year and a half ago and have had maybe a total of 4 drinks this year.

Ordered some last night! Tfti @Snafu of the Forest and @darvocet21 . Any recommendations on daily dosage?
I caught up with your posts, and I'm pulling for you Bro. Sounds like you put some w's on the board already. You're proactive about your health, rather than just being morbidly fixated... there's a little of that out of necessity...but the major concern w/diarrhea is deydrahation. If it was me I'd stock up on Gatorade, but you can make it healthier yourself by squeezing a couple of lemons and an orange, adding a few teaspoons of sugar and a pinch or two of salt in water. Even your history w/booze is positive, as the most likely cause of taised liver enzymes.

You have nothing to worry about taking NAC which as far I could tell is a pretty benign substance apart from the slight rotten egg smell which is normal. Best taken on an empty stomach, three times a day.
If it was me I would take two = 3g-3.6g/day depending on the dosage of your capsules.

If that seems like a lot to you a loading dose is 150 mg/kg of body weight, pretty customary for ER docs to initiate it wo waiting for plasma test results since the risks are minimal and it is a race against the clock. People that try to kill themselves swallowing a large amount of Tylenol can be expected to make a full recovery if treated within 8 hours. Between 8 to 10 hours is the grayzone depending on factors like body weight, stomach contents and so on. But most will recover.

Screenshot-20210628-050942-Drive.jpg

I hope you're getting free form NAC without any binders in 500mg or 600mg gelcaps. It might say n-acetyl l-cysteine depending on the company. Or sometimes just NAC

The brand I found was called Thorne, it was the last bottle still left on the shelf at an independent health food store. The guy told me that it was hard to keep on the shelves due to covid ... (evidently somebody knows something, and there's evidence NAC boosts respiratory immunity and disease resistance)

Godspeed

Last edited: