• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Quitting marijuana and wet dreams... Interesting find.

whippa craka

Bluelighter
I think I have discovered something quite interesting. I will be honest (for the sake of science, lol).

On 8/19/2012 I quit smoking marijuana.
On 8/25/2012 my friend quit smoking marijuana.

We were both heavy smokers. At least 3.5g/day for 12+ months. In general for either of us once the first blunt was rolled for the day, we would each smoke about every hour with average size blunts. I personally smoke socially and invite people in all the time, it's what makes weed awesome to begin with. But anyways.... The dreams of course have been crazy the past 5 weeks, associated with the marijuana withdrawal. They are dying down to about 2-3 times a week. But boy were the dreams interesting when I first quit. I thought they have been pretty neat, it's like a whole 'nother drug in itself.

A few days ago, so around 35 days after my last puff of Marijuana I went to bed drunk. I woke up in the morning having had fully ejaculated in the middle of the night. I had no recollection of any dreams or anything, it was just plain weird. Nothing like that had happened in my life. I am moderately sexually active, about half a dozen times or so a month I have sex.

My friend has had a few different occurrences of wet dreams, or so he says. Before I say more we are very good friends, used to live in foster care together for a couple years and we are both very straight. Just the other night we were talking about the weird dreams we've been having since quitting and he mentioned he had two wet dreams in the same night. It has been at least a year since he could recall having his last wet dream, and the dream he had was just plain weird to begin with. He is very sexually active (every day) with his girlfriend.

All I really am taking notice of is:
  • While smoking heavily = no wet dreams.
  • Quit smoking, about 5 weeks later exactly for each of us we both have wet dreams around the same night. He has two in that same night, which is definitely not something hes ever experienced.

My guess is there is definitely an association wet dreams and quitting Marijuana. I just have never heard of this. We never mentioned it to each other until after the fact. Anybody else experience this or have any input as to why it happens? Just found it interesting that it was delayed 4-5+ weeks after quitting. Weird! Marijuana is something else....

Were you and your friend both drinking on the night(s) this happened?

I don't think that you and your friend both having wet dreams 5 weeks after quitting smoking cannabis proves causal relation. Not to say it's not possible that it's to do with quitting weed, just that I don't think I would automatically jump to that conclusion (partly since it had been 5 weeks). However I do know that changes in hormone levels and neurotransmitters can affect the prevalence of nocturnal emissions, for example one study showed that testosterone-enhancing drugs greatly increase the occurrence of wet dreams. Anecdotal reports show people in acute opioid withdrawal also tend to experience more wet dreams.

I don't think this is really BDD material, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I guess I'll move it to Cannabis Discussion where people might have more experience with this.

BDD -> CD

This sounds insane, never experienced anything like this. Perhaps um, you guys are both younger? This stopped happening to me at around 15 and I've ceased using cannabis a ton of times between then, now being the longest stretch at nearly 8 months.

^Not sure about the OP's age, but according to the Kinsey Reports it's actually not uncommon for adult men to have wet dreams.

I am only 19. He is 21. I am not sure about my friend having drinking that night or not, I'll ask sometime. I only experienced a wet dream once when I was much younger. Perhaps alcohol helped stimulate the situation at this point in "withdrawal"? I am still feeling the effects of the withdrawal in my sleep. I drink 2-3x a week fairly consistently, so I am no immediate stranger to that.

He isn't one to have a wet dream often, but he mentioned that he had two in one night out of at least 1 year of not having one (before he started smoking heavily) and he was surprised by the situation. We did smoke much of the same strains and a lot of the same kind. Not being a normal occurrence for either of us; for it to happen to me out of the blue like that with us each being around the 5+ week point was just.... quite the coincidence I guess.

The dreams surrounding quitting marijuana are a phenomena to begin with IMO. I've been smoking for years and this just... happened. I would be very surprised if it isn't linked to the marijuana at all. Oh well, I tried :p

EDIT:
@swimmingdancer
Relating to your first post. It may have been the night following after I did heroin for the first time 2 nights in a row the nights before (1 bag + 1 bag), following the acute withdrawal you mentioned, even being so minor. I don't use opiates regularly. He does not use any opiates at all. There are no supplements or test-boosting drugs of any kind we are taking. Maybe its the (increase testosterone from quitting marijuana + my opiate usage + drinking that night + the mysteries of marijuana and it's psychoactive withdrawals itself) led to it. Or just a coincidence that is surprising enough to me to bother posting all this.

Last edited:
I've just never heard of cannabis even being remotely related to nocturnal emissions. Also, cannabis does not alter test levels, as the most recent (past 5-10 years) have generally proven. There are one or two studies on PsycDATA and PsycINFO that I've read in the past but I recall one being a french government sponsored study with connections to anti-smoking groups, and the other being a slightly older US gov. affiliated study. These things are pointed out by the peer review system on PsycDATA. NORML, for instance, refutes this claim with several studies.

In my limited knowledge of this subject, I do not see how this could possibly relate to cannabis...

The very best line I can draw between the two is this: ceasing cannabis certainly has an increase in vivid or lucid dreaming - perhaps you are starting to have more intense dreams (VERY common 'withdrawal' effect) and those in turn are causing your nocturnal emissions. This would be my very best guess.

As for the heroin use, I've personally known plenty of people who have had increased symptoms like this the day after using. I used to go through roughly 600-900mg oxycodone daily, and never experienced this, however.

I have to vouch for the vivid dream part, no lucid dreams though. I feel odds are I had a dream that was heading 'that' direction and caused me to have that emission, if not due to the previous alcohol/heroin use. These are 3 things I have never gone through/done at the same time... Thanks for the clarifications.

600mg+ of Oxycodone at any point in a day, just wow. Good for you for getting through that, both up and down the hill, regardless of how clean you are now. Nice.

^^ i thought the same thing, the 600+ oxycodone i know its weak but DAMN.

^^ i thought the same thing, the 600+ oxycodone i know its weak but DAMN.

yeah... i got my oxy tolerance up to the point were i couldnt feel 100mg, but i never became physically or psychologically dependent. although interestingly enough, hydrocodone was always at least twice as powerful for me as oxy was. but yeah, thats one hell of a habit man...

yeah... i got my oxy tolerance up to the point were i couldnt feel 100mg, but i never became physically or psychologically dependent. although interestingly enough, hydrocodone was always at least twice as powerful for me as oxy was. but yeah, thats one hell of a habit man...

Lucky mayne, quitting was an absolute nightmare. Ended up in the E.R. 3 times over the course of the first week. I only used oxycodone when I ran out of oxymorphone, which I would use roughly about 4x 40mg ERs (160mg) and 12-15x 10mg (150mg). It was a rare day I wouldn't go through 300mg + oxymorphone, then rail a few roxi 30s before nodding out. Bit over a year clean now.

It's nothing to brag about, in fact it's quite sad and rather plain stupid I allowed myself to get that far into the entire scene that comes with the drug, as well as the drug itself. How much you could take or were taking daily was almost like a bragging right between my druggie friends. Even over a year and a handful of months later and I still get cravings and those vivid as fuck using-dreams.

/derail

i've never had a wet dream after a tree break. crazy dreams yes. generally wet dreams only happen when I haven't cum in a long time.

Happened to me last night. Weirdest thing. Haven't had a wet dream for as long as I can remember. Maybe like once in my life.

I quit pot about 2-3 weeks ago. Last night, I had quite a sexy dream.. (I can remember what caused the..erm... Wet part).

Woke up immediately in the process of ejaculation... Definitely very weird but I can say its most certainly associated with the fact that I quit pot recently.

I've been looking for this thread for years. I have A LOT of anecdotal experience with this. I am 26, very physically active, in good shape, eat very well and have been smoking marijuana daily since age 12. 2 years ago I went on a yoga retreat that was 21 days long, didn't consume any cannabis and let me tell you I was having 3-4 vivid dreams a night...and multiple wet dreams a night for weeks. Weirdest part is that some of the dreams weren't sexual at all, like I'd have to pee in the dream and wake up covered in my pants in real life. Where some of them felt like a succubus was trying to get me to ejaculate in my dream by taking the form of a lovely women. When I got home and started smoking again it all stopped. It's worth it to mention I do practice semen retention however ive gone 90+ days of NO EJACULATING OR WET DREAMS while smoking. This bring me to now, I'm on vacation and haven't smoked in 5 days. I've had back to back wet dreams and neither sexual and the liquid looks not as milky as cum but more of a prostatic fluid. I'm so glad I found someone else whose experienced this correlation. Their is something to this...I know THC/Marijuana has effects on testosterone and estrogen as I've learned from neuroscientist Andrew Huberman on his episode Effects of Cannabis use. I think I'm gonna really cut back smoking to Friday or Saturday night...these wet dreams are just so strange. OP your onto something science might not ever study because it's so niche...I find it comforting others are going through this also. Bless up y'all!

I've been looking for this thread for years. I have A LOT of anecdotal experience with this. I am 26, very physically active, in good shape, eat very well and have been smoking marijuana daily since age 12. 2 years ago I went on a yoga retreat that was 21 days long, didn't consume any cannabis and let me tell you I was having 3-4 vivid dreams a night...and multiple wet dreams a night for weeks. Weirdest part is that some of the dreams weren't sexual at all, like I'd have to pee in the dream and wake up covered in my pants in real life. Where some of them felt like a succubus was trying to get me to ejaculate in my dream by taking the form of a lovely women. When I got home and started smoking again it all stopped. It's worth it to mention I do practice semen retention however ive gone 90+ days of NO EJACULATING OR WET DREAMS while smoking. This bring me to now, I'm on vacation and haven't smoked in 5 days. I've had back to back wet dreams and neither sexual and the liquid looks not as milky as cum but more of a prostatic fluid. I'm so glad I found someone else whose experienced this correlation. Their is something to this...I know THC/Marijuana has effects on testosterone and estrogen as I've learned from neuroscientist Andrew Huberman on his episode Effects of Cannabis use. I think I'm gonna really cut back smoking to Friday or Saturday night...these wet dreams are just so strange. OP your onto something science might not ever study because it's so niche...I find it comforting others are going through this also. Bless up y'all!
Very very true. I believe this part of withdrawal only very few can relate

Im glad this thread is active again. The exact same thing is happening to me. Im 25 years old and have been smoking pot everyday since 15 and recently just quit. It has been a month at this point and I've had about a dozen ejaculation/liquid secretions episodes since quitting. This has never once happened to me while smoking. As the theory of more intense /immersive dreams = wet dreams, I don't necessarily believe that is the reasoning here. I stopped wetting the bed when I was about 6 years old and only had a wet dream about 1 time a year as I got older BEFORE starting to smoke marajuana. As a kid my dreams were still extremely vivid and lucid to the point where I could completely control my dreams and still no wet dreams like I'm having now. My dreams as a kid were honestly more immersive and lucid than the ones im having right now filled with the same things that would make you have a wet dream, yet I could always “hold it”. I also DO NOT practice semen retention at all currently. There is something to be said about the relation of quitting marajuana and wet dreams. I don't understand what I can do to make this stop happening and its getting fairly annoying and puts me down having to constantly wash these mf sheets. It almost like i’m 4 years old again when I was wetting the bed constantly. Im glad to at least find this thread online as I cannot find anyone else or any other threads on any sites mentioning this issue/topic. Peace to everyone before and in the future and I hope when/if you do have this issue, your dream goes crazy to make it worth it.
Love

Quitting weed means your dreams become more vivid again due to the fact weed surpresses your REM sleep. Que that with being young and thinking about girls alot and i guess you have a recipe for this happening in some people.