• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Quiting daily use. Cold turky?

MrK9

Bluelighter
Hello,

I've been smoking weed on a daily basis for about 12-15 years, I am 27 years old now.

I've always thought light of weed addiction and claimed it does not exist but I have started to realise thatI was wrong.

I've been wanting and thinking about stopping smoking but I cannot find any motivation to do so... altho my gf left me for my weed smoking and is willing to coma back if I quit... but still my brain finds ways to make crave for weed.

Can I just stop smoking it? will I get depressed(I am already very stressed)? Wil my personality change(I have spend my whole childhood stoned, do I even have a personallity without weed)?

Anyone with a long addiction to weed, since 12-13 yo untill late 20's, that can help me a bit? I smoke alot 10-25 gr/week and my life basicly is working - > getting home and smoking untill I go to sleep during the week and in the weekends I basicly smoke from the moment I wake untill I got to bed.

First off weed addiction/withdrawl is very real.. I was smoking daily for 12 years nothing but medical even before medical became a thing.. I been 3 weeks clean n i still feel like shit. I quit cold turkey and for the first 2 weeks i had awful and i mean awful anxiety and crazy vivid dreams like super vivid they seemed so real and it was just some crazy wild shit. Im still real irritable and everything is annoying me and life just seems too real now.. It was real hard to sleep first 2 weeks and hard to eat the first week.. I use to love getting baked n playing the game now i dont smoke i have no desire to play the game anymore.. your gonna be a diff person.. Maybe a lil of depression.. Those are the things thats gonna happen if you stop cold turkey. Its best to do a slow taper if anything.. I understand everbodys diff but be ready for crazy vivid dreams, restlessness, irritability, shit that seemed fun is gonna seem boring now and be ready for some anxiety and eating is gonna be hard at first.. If you can make it thru the first 2 weeks you should be in the clear.. Just remember things will get back to normal over time and that you dont need weed. Best of luck to you bud..

Last edited:
thanks for your reply mate. I already had those dreams a couple years back when I had no weed for 1 day.. So I'm not the only one, cool.. I guess. I remember them as being really vivid and realistic, waking up and shivering in fear... I have some benzo's 1mg etizolam's maybe those could help me the first 3 days.

I could go to my dokter (who knows I smoke) and ask him for a week off work to get of the weed.. I have a really stressfull job with alot of people counting on me and being restless and quickly pissed off wont be good for anyone...

Its just that I have a really hard time deciding if I really want to stop... I should tho... I spend alot of money on it and its starting to fuck with my head after all these years... I have a hard time with remembering what day I did what, how long ago something happend.. stuff like that.

I'm writing this whiling smoking a joint... have one left and already send a sms to my guy... I think it is more of a habit then a real full blown addiction but OLD habbits die very hard sadly.

soz for spelling, baked

Its just that I have a really hard time deciding if I really want to stop... I should tho... I spend alot of money on it and its starting to fuck with my head after all these years... I have a hard time with remembering what day I did what, how long ago something happend.. stuff like that.

^^This right here is what it boils down to.^^

A few years back I was at a crossroads of a sort. I was struggling with the thought of being a drug user for the foreseeable future. It seemed bleak and fruitless at the time, and still does occasionally. I ended up quitting for close to 8 months, and in the process I, eventually, felt so distanced from my friends that it felt like I was turning into a recluse. There were personality changes for the worse, as well, mainly with regards to my anxiety jumping into overdrive and reminding me of how I felt for the few months before I actually got my anxiety disorder diagnosis.

::sigh::

I realize this post might sound like it's trying to scare you from stopping-- that's not the case. I'm just trying to say in my own special way that there are pros and cons to a drug habit that every user should be aware of. You need to figure out what you like about smoking and what you hate about it. Then you need to decide if the positives outweigh the negatives in your particular case, and adjust accordingly.

I was just trying to say in the beginning of this post that, for me, the positives of my drug habit outweigh the negatives (and boy are there a lot of negatives-- money, mood, social life, career aspirations, family life, day-to-day motivation, mood swings-- like, I could seriously go on and on). At the end of the day, for me, I like myself moreso than when I'm sober. Again, personally, I'm really unhappy with where I am in life, but I'm scared to fucking death at dropping everything I've worked so hard to gain and build for myself the past 26 years to just up and start over somewhere new and back to square one. "The evil you know..." as they say. Cannabis helps me focus more on the big picture instead of every miniscule way a situation could go wrong and obsessing over them, which is how my anxiety tends to manifest.

It could be construed as a cop-out. I take drugs to quiet my mind and people may call me weak for that. I look at it as finally starting to be okay with and accepting of who I am and what I need in my life to feel like a normal, law-abiding person, and that I'm just trying to make the best with the tools I've been given.

But, man, if you're going to quit weed, cold turkey is the way to go. If you try to taper, something about weed makes it retardedly easy to just keep putting off the next time you're going to lower your daily stash because hey, there's always tomorrow, right?

That's how I look at it, at least.

Most important thing is to take a break here and there, even if it's only for one or two days. By abstaining from it, you tell the drug who's the boss.

Now you can take a break for as long as you want, can be a year or ten, or just a few days, as long as you know you'll smoke again in the future it will be easier to stop. Good luck.

Maybe it has to do with personality but I find that I am highly addicted to weed. I used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day for about 5 years and quit that and never went back to buying cigs. Might bum one or two when drinking with friends who smoke but I rarely drink. Also quit an opiate habit at the same time. But weed I've been saying to my friends and promising myself that I'm going to quit but never do. I've even given away bongs, grinders, pipes and weed thinking I was done only to lose will power and buy more in a matter of days.

I've recently had success in scaling back how much I smoke from about an ounce a week down to less than a half gram a day. I've had about 1-2 grams that has lasted me this last week. I've decided that the only real hope of me quitting weed is to set some serious timelines, goals, and restrictions. The first of those is to begin a taper. I don't have a specific amount in mind other than to continually use less and try to consciously break the habit. I have a few friends who have successfully quit a heavy weed habit and they all say about the same thing which is you have to stay busy. A day job and a passion/hobby to fill your nights are good, seem almost like essential for my friends that have quit. Boredom is a big trigger for me.

Best of luck, hang in there. Determination is the biggest thing. Even if you fail at reaching your goal don't give up, make a new one and push harder or try something different.

I smoked almost everyday for 6 years and was forced to stop cold turkey because of medical reasons. I stopped for a year and it helped a lot but when I started again, I quickly went to a daily habit. 1.5-4g a week. It took over a year to break the habit of when I smoke, I smoke everyday. I stopped wake n' bake, then I stopped smoking and driving, stopped smoking before dinner etc...and only did it when it was the most appropriate and actually was enjoyable. I would advise you to stop smoking situation by situation instead of cold turkey. This will help you re-wire your brain to not associated cannabis with certain activities. I did this in the end to keep cannabis in my life but it worked. I smoke 2-4 nights a week and now smoke maybe 1.5-2.5g a month and it is PLENTY satisfying. The hangovers are more pronounced now that I have stopped smoking every day, but I think thats a good thing because now my body is adjusted to a new "normal"

^i feel the same way i used to be an all day everyday smoker and by cutting down slowly how many times a day i smoked it has helped..stopping mornings i think is big..then start skipping days..within a year iwent from high 24/7 to maybe smoking 3 or 4 days a week just a bowl after work..eventually i will stop but when i feel ready and willing id say taper down over CT but thats just me, just makes it easier on your mind

Cold turkey is the best way and yes youll probably feel pretty depressed but if your naturally a depressed person it will be worse. Also you may have problems sleeping and may not everyones different. What i know youll most likely get is expect a complete decline in appetite and to the point where you feel naseuous if you try to eat. All this should go away the first week and maybe the second week. Easily being agitated will probably stay with you a good few weeks buy after about of week of apetite loss and night sweats you will be fine and realize how easy it is.

High % of thc on a daily basis causes some wicked psychological withdrawal, when you quit cold turkey. Because of storage in lipids the true withdrawal does not really peak until a few days in.
You will have many dreams of pissing dirty and getting caught smoking. I would wake up feeling very guilty, it was terrible. I'm a better person if I smoke a .3 in a bowl a day. It keeps me from drinking.

If I wake up, and take a snapper. I will FIEND hard after about 90-120 mins. If I wake up and wait until late at night, I crave it less. But waking and baking makes me chain smoke. No bueno

No Bueno