Quick taper with suboxone?

socalrollin

Bluelighter
Hi I just went on a three week oxycodone binge with the m 30’s getting up to around 3-4 pills a day and I’m wondering if I could do any kind of quick taper using 8mg suboxone strips? I have 4 strips total and 2mg is keeping me stable as of right now at 21 hours off Oxycodone, thank you so much for any feed back, I don’t know why but I’m scared the suboxone withdrawal after tapering down as low as I can might be worse or last longer than if I quit the oxycodone cold turkey right now. Anybody have any experience or input on this particular situation? Using isn’t an option anyomore so it’s cold turkey or use the 4 subs I have to the best of my ability. Thanks guys ?

One of the easier kicks I have had was when I stopped my last heroin, then took 70 mgs of methadone once when I was in withdrawal, then two days later a little codeine at night. I kind of stifled the heavy withdrawal and just dealt with a week of restlessness and sleeplessness. I often wonder why some of these short term tapers aren't used more. I mean, why get addicted to suboxone if you are looking to get off all things. I think I would stop right after the sub makes you feel better the first time. Sure you will have withdrawal but it is sort of a winding down instead of a strong oxy withdrawal.

Basically I think it is a great idea if you are motivated. I have no experience with subs, only methadone but don't see why it wouldn't work.

One of the easier kicks I have had was when I stopped my last heroin, then took 70 mgs of methadone once when I was in withdrawal, then two days later a little codeine at night. I kind of stifled the heavy withdrawal and just dealt with a week of restlessness and sleeplessness. I often wonder why some of these short term tapers aren't used more. I mean, why get addicted to suboxone if you are looking to get off all things. I think I would stop right after the sub makes you feel better the first time. Sure you will have withdrawal but it is sort of a winding down instead of a strong oxy withdrawal.

Basically I think it is a great idea if you are motivated. I have no experience with subs, only methadone but don't see why it wouldn't work.
Thanks for the reply, that’s really funny you say that about using the suboxone once then going cold turkey because as of now that’s exactly the idea I e been wrestling with. I’m super tempted to go cold turkey and get this shit over with in a few days and be back to being a normal person in the world. At the same time I do t want to torture myself if I don’t have to because I have these subs. I’ve had anxiety all day thinking about all of it, probably partially because it’s my first day off the blues.

Anyone else wanna chime in on this? I’m right at 48 hours off my drug of choice 30mg percs and so far I took 2mg suboxone strip yesterday morning and 1mg strip this morning and I feel ok, I’m definitely functioning, I got all three of my daughters up and ready on my own and dropped my oldest off at her church vocational class. I have a bit of anxiety and a mild headache but nothing to complain about on day 2 I guess? I’m planning on cutting my dose in half every day until I’m off in just a few more days, a lot of my anxiety is coming from wondering how that is going to work. I have five more days total before I have to go to work and perform manual labor, (I’m a flooring contractor) any support or input would be greatly appreciated at this point as the anxiety is becoming a little bitch. ?

You’re in the right track. I’ve done similar tapers from small pill habits before. And larger yet still rapid tapers from raging heroin habits as well. In my opinion this is how subs should be used. You’re doing the right thing by only taking what’s needed to function and halving your dose every day. You can expect some lingering anxiety depression restlessness and lethargy once you jump off the sub. Do you have access to any Benzos or gabapentin? Those can be key players for a few days after the jump. Good luck and take care of yourself.

You’re in the right track. I’ve done similar tapers from small pill habits before. And larger yet still rapid tapers from raging heroin habits as well. In my opinion this is how subs should be used. You’re doing the right thing by only taking what’s needed to function and halving your dose every day. You can expect some lingering anxiety depression restlessness and lethargy once you jump off the sub. Do you have access to any Benzos or gabapentin? Those can be key players for a few days after the jump. Good luck and take care of yourself.
I have 2 mg of Xanax I’ve been dozing st .25 mg when needed so far, today I took that dose twice as the anxiety was setting in and now I just want to sleep but it’s bed time so I’ll go knock out and hopefully sleep until 5:30 am which is when my next dose is. Praying I’m able to get by on .5 mg suboxone tomorrow and then .25 mg the next day then .13 mg and off. Maybe .13 mg for a few days or every other from what I’m reading. Any more input please?

That’s all I got for advise about the taper. Just be easy on the Benzos. I don’t know what your history is with them. And fortunately have never had a problem with them myself. But I know that MANY have fallen prey to their grip easily after kicking the opiates. Or end up hooked on them and opiates. Take care of yourself! You got this if you want it!

Socalrollin don't understimate gabapentin or pregabalin. These things (for me ) can completely eliminate the minor withdrwal I get from kratom. I am sure it can help with a stronger opiate withdrawal, maybe not completely but good enough. And after researching I have read here that people have used it to come off opiates with great success. It is worth researching. I never never never in my life had the patience or nerves to listen to anyone talk about a "miracle" drug to help with opiate withdrawal. But now I am that guy. Nothing worked in the past. Not benzo's, not clonidine, not anything, until gabapentin. It gets rid of chills and restlessness very nicely and does not hold the addiction over like another opiate would. It is a must tool for the tool kit. Saying that I would use sparingly, twice a week at most. In my research I also learned anything that can help feel better will have it's own withdrawal. But it takes constant dosing for gabapentinoids to get addicted so short term is recommended.

Well as far as the Xanax go I literally hate them, yes they can be an excellent tool but I hate the zombie feeling they give me.

As for gabapentin I’ve shed it in the passed with great success for filling down the withdrawal just like you said but it was perscived to me and I have no more.

Update: day 3 off my drug of choice 30 mg percs and I’m 3 hours passed my dosing time, I planned on taking .5 suboxone this morning but didn’t feel bad so I haven’t yet. Is it over already? Can’t be right? I mean I do pray to god to end it quickly but a 2 day taper? We will see... I’ll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
I ended up taking my scheduled .5mg dose for today as headache and chills set in along with the idea why suffer if you don’t have to. I did make it 3 hours passed my dosing time. I’m just in such a hurry to be 100% free I’m tempted to just jump soon ahhhh it gives me anxiety fuck all of this.

The quickest way is to go right through it. :) Feel that pain. Go into it. It has a message. And from there you'll come out the other side.

I am the same way, if there is relief around I am not going to go through anything. lol

You'll be fine socalrollin, sounds like you are just stepping down instead of jumping. Then one day rip it off like an old band aid and take the pain and be done.

Update for anyone interested or anyone that comes across this post in the future with similar worries and questions.

I woke up this morning at 5:30am my suboxone dosing time but I felt fine so I skipped it, it’s now noon and I just have a mild headache and some muscle aches, basically I can tell that I’m in the clear enough to flush the rest of these suboxone strips down the toilet. Having them on hand is a guaranteed relapse in the future and I’m genuinely ready to close this chapter of my life so yea, I’m out this bitch and hopefully I’ll never have to click on that “dark side” button again. God that gave me the worst feeling. Piece out!!

You might want to use kratom for a few days, with caution, as the last of the subs leave your system.

The quickest way is to go right through it. :) Feel that pain. Go into it. It has a message. And from there you'll come out the other side.

I am the same way, if there is relief around I am not going to go through anything. lol

You'll be fine socalrollin, sounds like you are just stepping down instead of jumping. Then one day rip it off like an old band aid and take the pain and be done.
Hey JackARoe – saw Dead and Co last night. Great show!

Approaching the 72 hr mark off suboxone and 3 hours into day 6 off drugs.

Today was rough but very bearable, as the day ends though I can say I’m about 90% back to normal, the chills, body aches and headache are almost gone, anxiety is almost non existent.

I could have very well tapered down off the subs a few more days and then started skipping days but I wanted it over so I jumped at .5 mg which induced some withdrawal but hey I’m done and the whole thing was very bearable. Hope this helps someone out there one day.

Sounds like you got this! Do you have a plan to stay clean if/when the going gets tough?
I do got this! Wrapping up day 7 off drugs day 5 off subs. Headache here and there and still a little bit of those damn chills but I’m working and functioning very much so. Staying clean is now the problem because as we all know desire and opportunity will cross paths once again. Any tips on staying sober long term. I am very determined.

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I am posting in the right spot or not. I've searched around on Bluelight randomly in the past but only registered to post recently. I'm interested to know about getting off Kratom after using it to ease the withdrawal from Suboxone.

Quick history: have been an IV heroin user in the past, got prescribed Norcos for severe back pain about 2 years ago, started abusing those and then ended up on suboxone a lot longer than anticipated because of pregnancy.... Suboxone had horrible effects with regard to making me robotic and unable to experience emotions. I was just blah. Not to mention no sex drive. So recently I tapered from the 24mg a day down to about .5 mg and jumped off. On day 3 I went and got some Kratom. Been using the kratom for about a week.

My question is: will I now have to detox/withdrawal from the Kratom? I've been using about 25 g a day. I wake up around 4 am needing to take more Kratom. I dont want to substitute one issue for another. Any advice from anyone who has used Kratom for withdrawal and subsequently been able to get off the kratom would be helpful. Maybe I'm just a wuss and can't deal with the withdrawal.... kicked plenty of times in my life cold Turkey. I think my brain is set to expect the worse and I have a hard time getting past a couple sleepless nights. Also I have a 3 yr old and 1 yr old who require constant attention so being too sick is not really an option for me.

I read the posts about the gabapentin and I would definitely agree they help with withdrawal. Maybe I should just stick to using those? Although I feel maybe I should let my tolerance go back down since I was using them to cope with the suboxone taper.

I have been going back and forth with H and OCs for the last few years. My normal detox schedule is H->OCs->Percs or Vics->Tramadol taking care to halve the dosage each day until I get to trams, then usually just one of those for a day or two (they tend to make me nauseous) and I end up back in the world with limited downsides. Always some limited fever and chills, aches and pains, and a solid week of loose poops, but it beats the hell out of going cold and being completely incapacitated for 3 or 4 days, vomiting, nausea, etc.. Morale of the story, in my experience, if you are going to use, you need to have a plan for how you're not going to use, and that plan should be realistic and involve pharmaceutical support.

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if I am posting in the right spot or not. I've searched around on Bluelight randomly in the past but only registered to post recently. I'm interested to know about getting off Kratom after using it to ease the withdrawal from Suboxone.

Quick history: have been an IV heroin user in the past, got prescribed Norcos for severe back pain about 2 years ago, started abusing those and then ended up on suboxone a lot longer than anticipated because of pregnancy.... Suboxone had horrible effects with regard to making me robotic and unable to experience emotions. I was just blah. Not to mention no sex drive. So recently I tapered from the 24mg a day down to about .5 mg and jumped off. On day 3 I went and got some Kratom. Been using the kratom for about a week.

My question is: will I now have to detox/withdrawal from the Kratom? I've been using about 25 g a day. I wake up around 4 am needing to take more Kratom. I dont want to substitute one issue for another. Any advice from anyone who has used Kratom for withdrawal and subsequently been able to get off the kratom would be helpful. Maybe I'm just a wuss and can't deal with the withdrawal.... kicked plenty of times in my life cold Turkey. I think my brain is set to expect the worse and I have a hard time getting past a couple sleepless nights. Also I have a 3 yr old and 1 yr old who require constant attention so being too sick is not really an option for me.

I read the posts about the gabapentin and I would definitely agree they help with withdrawal. Maybe I should just stick to using those? Although I feel maybe I should let my tolerance go back down since I was using them to cope with the suboxone taper.
Wow you were on 24mg suboxone a day? And you tapered down to .5mg a day? How long we’re you on .5mg a day before switching to Kratom? Really all we’re doing is filling our opioid receptors using different drugs usually weaker and weaker ones until we’re at a low enough level we’re able to jump. Having kids makes it rough, I have 3 little girls two of which are twins so I know all too well how rough that is. I would taper the Kratom down literally low as you can then jump. Honestly though if you already dropped from 24mg a day to .5 you shouldn’t be worried about much. I jumped at .5mg and had very mild withdrawal for what would be five days now but today was my transition day, I feel 100% back to normal. I just had mild chills and a slight headache and maybe a little lethargy and muscle aches, all mild symptoms. I’m free again ?